how many p5's did mazda make

tranzformer

:
2002 P5
hey, im looking to get a p5 and its harder than i thought to find a manual. Im in Chicago and most of them are either auto's or they are sold. Does any one know how many of these mazda made?

are you looking for new or used? because mazda stopped making them and replaced with the mazda3 .. but i'm sure locating a used P5 manual would be easier than trying to find any left over new ones.

fkmp5 said:
are you looking for new or used? because mazda stopped making them and replaced with the mazda3 .. but i'm sure locating a used P5 manual would be easier than trying to find any left over new ones.
you'd think but its actually pretty damn hard to find out in the midwest. I was able to locate a couple on the coasts through the internet for a friend but there don't seem to be many available around here (I guess people know the true powa of the p5 and don't want to let them go :D )

Thats funny. Powa of the P5. LMAOROTF.
I love my P5 but power it doesnt have.
Power can be had if you want to spend the money though and thats a good thing. Least it has major potential, and thats why I got it.

I've seen a few for sale throughout the forum. Let your Mazda dealer search and best of luck. FYI the Mazda 3 is made by Ford.

JV'sP5 said:
FYI the Mazda 3 is made by Ford.
nope, wrong. the mazda3 is built in japan, from over 97% japanese parts. the engine and platform (C platform, IIRC) is being designed by mazda and shared between mazda, ford and volvo for thier small cars, including the new focus. the 2.3 liter is a mazda design.

JV'sP5 said:
I've seen a few for sale throughout the forum. Let your Mazda dealer search and best of luck. FYI the Mazda 3 is made by Ford.
I have heard people say the p5 was made by ford but right on my car it says it was made in Japan.....dont know whats up with that......(dunno)

Have you seen the new V40? It's totally a 3. I wonder if it's made in Japan. P5s are made in Hiroshima.

my dealer is in tuscaloosa, Quality Mazda that has some p5s' left for sale. they also have over 20 rx-8s...they are just not selling good around here

It's going to happen more and more, platform sharing I mean. Just like GM's investment in Saab and Subi results in the WRX engine getting put in the new Saab. At least it's going in the right direction. It could be worse, they might be putting a Metro engine in an Impreza.

about the Madza3; I was talking about the engine being Ford made and used in the Focus. While the Protege engine has been used and perfected for years!

SciFiMan said:
It's going to happen more and more, platform sharing I mean. Just like GM's investment in Saab and Subi results in the WRX engine getting put in the new Saab. At least it's going in the right direction. It could be worse, they might be putting a Metro engine in an Impreza.
Yeah I read that the Saab is going to have the Rex engine and AWD system -- NICE!

Platform sharing is not a bad thing as long as each partner plays to their strong suits. I think with Ford/Mazda/Volvo...Ford designed the basic chassis configuration, Mazda designed the basic engine package, and Volvo designed the safety features. Everyone wins there. And the design has enough flexibility that each brand can tailor it to their clientele.

Don't b**** about it, because this is the future and the way manufacturers will keep costs down. I think GM has already licensed Toyota's hybrid powerplant...so it's an industry wide phenomenon.

Need more proof: VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne share the same chassis/suspension. Audi has done it for years with their various partners.

It's only a bad thing when quality suffers...Volkswagen is reaping the rewards of Porsche's engineering, and we'll see what happens with the Ford/Mazda/Volvo congolmeration.

...and really, do you think it matters who MAKES the engine? Engineering has always been where the japanese cars shine. I would think if Mazda designed an engine and the materials specs, anyone could build the same quality (even Ford!). I think the whole idea that american cars are lower quality is fading quickly...or at least the lines between what's american and what's japanese or european are blurring.

tranz where are u located?

have u used online search engines like autotrader cause dealers use those to offload cars now, other than that its all about calling every friggin dealer in town to see if they have a new or used one. Like in AZ most dealers still had 1-3 left on the lot, but here in WA I havent seen a single one on the lot.

not that it matters now, but just f.y.i.....

I was looking for a new 5 in late december, and couldnt find much left...then I found 128 mazda, and they had at least 50 5's on the lot...every color and option you could think of.....I couldnt believe it...the sales guy told me that they had bought most all of the p5's they could find, so maybe a certain dealer in your area is hording them? but then again its been 5 months now so maybe most of them are gone...good luck

NetGuy said:
...and really, do you think it matters who MAKES the engine? Engineering has always been where the japanese cars shine. I would think if Mazda designed an engine and the materials specs, anyone could build the same quality (even Ford!). I think the whole idea that american cars are lower quality is fading quickly...or at least the lines between what's american and what's japanese or european are blurring.
I hope so, at least. But our problem hasn't been engineering, it's been cost-cutting. American labor has always been the most expensive, and when you compete on a pricepoint the difference has to come from somewhere. It usually comes from materials and sub-assemblies. Unfortunately, those cost savings are usually put back into the product through recalled parts that have to be re-designed.

If the platform sharing works out, American cars should be able to compete on equal footing with European or Far Eastern manufacturers. But they'll first have to overcome the "American car" stigma. Look at Saturn...everyone was extremely hopeful when they launched their first cars, and they've become another American piece of crap. I see more used Ion's on dealers lots than any car in recent memory. Their SUV fell on it's face too.

Back