In dash CD changer problems (Bose)...Already!

Garfinkle

:
Mazda6 bright red V6 hatch
My car is about a month old now and the cd player has completely stopped working. I have six discs in there that I can't get out. The radio still works but that's it. The display shows the discs are in there but it is stuck on disc one and it won't play or change discs. I called the dealer and they said I have to take the car in, then they will scan some bar code on the unit and order another one from the factory. It takes two weeks for the replacement to come in.... Two weeks without my tunes in my new car (notcool)

Anyone ever had this problem before???

sounds like a bad gear mechinism. Must be that 1 in 100,000 lemons. Sorry dude. FM transmitter?

Sorry to hear that, like nautec said...probably one out of 100,000 bad lemons. Good Luck :D

a. The dealer is BS-ing you about the bar code and 2 week order time. Find another dealer (unless they claim to have already 'ordered' it.)
b. If the changer is still in your car - try disconnecting and (afte a short wait - 30 seconds or so) reconnecting the battery cables. This used to rectify the no-eject issue (at least temporarily) on the Protege's CD player. They had way more faulty ones of those than the 6 - yours is the first failure I've ever heard of - just bad luck!

I get the stuck CD thing in my 6 too. I just have the regular player, but if the dash is hot (like from running the heater) or just playing CDs for awhile, they tend to get stuck. It doesnt happen very often so I'm not all that worried about it, but I feel your pain. (bang)

Oh ya - hope you aren't using burnt CDs with stuck-on labels! The death-knell for most (if not all) car CD players!

ashutoshsm said:
a. The dealer is BS-ing you about the bar code and 2 week order time. Find another dealer (unless they claim to have already 'ordered' it.)
b. If the changer is still in your car - try disconnecting and (afte a short wait - 30 seconds or so) reconnecting the battery cables. This used to rectify the no-eject issue (at least temporarily) on the Protege's CD player. They had way more faulty ones of those than the 6 - yours is the first failure I've ever heard of - just bad luck!

I took it in to the dealer and the tried pulling the fuse and putting it back. All that did was make the display show that there are no cd's in the player and it still won't play or change discs. They ordered a new one for me and now they are saying it won't take any longer than one week. Problem is I have to wait to get my CD's back. The guy said the mechanics don't know how to do anything with the CD player so they send it back to the plant where they remove the CD's when they repair it (I guess some poor sucker gets the refurbished deck in their new car.... or maybe I am getting someone else's refurbished deck)! Anyways, I hate to think how long it will take to get the discs back. According to the service guy, they mail them to you once they get them out.

ashutoshsm said:
Oh ya - hope you aren't using burnt CDs with stuck-on labels! The death-knell for most (if not all) car CD players!

Nope. Some of the CD's are burnt but there are no labels on them. Interesting that you mention that because the dealer asked me the same thing. He said they are making customers pay for a new deck if that is the case.

how long did you guys listen to the cd's or single cd before those symptoms happened?...I did a few 6-7 hr road trips home and back with cd's going constant....chances that it is that 1 of 100,000 lemons (think i seen that somewhere...hmm) Sorry you got one. Hope all the CD's come back in good shape...

if your cd's are stuck take the cd player apart and pull the holder out, not that hard, i can't believe the mechanics don't know how to do simple s***, maybe i should get a job working at mazda!

mp5jeff said:
if your cd's are stuck take the cd player apart and pull the holder out, not that hard, i can't believe the mechanics don't know how to do simple s***, maybe i should get a job working at mazda!

I'm not even going to touch it. I'd rather just get a new one so it doesn't happen again.

no no no what he ment was instead of sending the head unit to gawd knows where that the teckies could have opened it since it is already defective and remove the cd's...while waiting for the new one to come it.

Yeah, it would appear that the mechanics at my dealer are highly incompetent. I was also told today that my deck is now going to take 10-15 business days to arrive instead of one week. He says there is a warehouse somewhere where they keep a stockpile of parts for all Mazdas. Naturally in this case they are out of stock on the six disc changer so I have to wait. (boom02) Will let you all know once the deck is replaced and IF I get my CD's back.

I know this is an old post but I am now just getting closure to this whole fiasco with the CD changer. I finally got my CD's back (it's been over two months since I had the changer replaced). Funny thing is they don't work anymore...all six of them. I got them back in a little yellow plastic bag, all clumped together with no sleeves. Oddly enough they work in every CD player I own except for my Mazda 6. I don't get it. All other CD's play in the changer fine, just not the ones that got sent to the factory with the defictive deck (uhm) It just says CHECK CD when you try to play one. I inspected them closely and they appear to be fine. I don't know if they were exposed to extreme heat or whatever but they still work even in my cheap Dodge Caravan deck.

Anyone know if this 6 changer is sensitive to slightly damaged CD's more so than any other CD player???

I'm now convinced this thing is a piece of crap. I envy you people that have the single disc players. Every time I cange CD's I keep my fingers crossed that it won't die on me. It even sounds fragile when you hear it switching CD's.

I love my car but I hate that deck. If it dies after my warranty expires I'll be replacing it with the regular player, or an aftermarket one if I can find the right kit.

Anyone had problems like this before?

seing that you have a computer and all....maybe you should invest in the MP3 player. 1 disk that can hold just about 6 cd's worth of music...plus id3 tag? I'm tempted to do this cause I don't own many cd's that I'd liscen to every song back to back. I notice a rash of CD's where they only put out 3 good songs and just throw random stuff in to blanket the cd. Back to topic...the 1 disk is also sensitive to every bump turn crack and pebble in the roadway as well

I second the mp3 player. I had the 6-cd changer originally, and in the new 6, opt'd to go with the mp3 player instead. You can install it yourself (its not that hard if your semi-mechanically inclined) using the instructions on 6tech...

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=35

Which even include some video's on the tougher sections. Biggest thing to watch out for is the bolt on the glove compartment side. If you forget to take that out, you can crack the circuit board (very common occurance).

Hmm interesting. I didn't even know this was an option although I bet it wasn't available on the GT package. I think I could handle the install. I used to have an MP3 deck in my last car and it was great. Thing I like best about it was that I didn't really want to put in a kit and make my dash look retarded with an aftermarket...I like the way it looks stock. So how much does it cost?

I'm just bumping this thread up to see if anyone else has had this problem. I got in my car this morning after my husband had been driving it all weekend. He had been listening to a music CD and I wanted to switch to my audio book - both discs were already loaded in. I pushed the button to change CDs, and that was it. Now it seems to be stuck on my audiobook and I can't play, eject or switch CDs! It is especially bad because the audiobook belongs to the library and will cost me $90 to replace if I can't get it out! I guess I'll be taking it into the dealer, but I'm running on extended warranty now so I'll have to pay something (I think I have a $100 deductible). We have a big road trip coming up this weekend too :(

Get to the dealer pronto. Its better you get those cd's back. A cheepy deck is less than 90 bux (boom03)

Back