Better PCV Valve Solution For Low Boost Applications

detailed information copied from my clubprotege thread and reposted here:

Last edited:
For you boosted FS/FP engine owners, a direct fit high capacity PCV valve is available. This PCV valve comes from the 92-95 929 JE-ZE engine and has also been used in the Millenia's KJ-ZEM engine (making ~14psi boost). I have come to a hypothesis that this PCV valve will be sufficient for our needs due to the fact that:

-the JE-ZE has a VRIS intake manifold, thus creating manifold pressures greater than 1 atmospheric pressure.
-the KJ-ZEM has a Lysom supercharger, it is designed to make 14psi boost on this particular engine.

I believe this PCV valve will allow blow by gases BEFORE boost occurs to be passed into the intake manifold easily or in larger quantities. I also believe that this PCV valve has a better sealing capability during boost, this thereby prevents the crankcase from being boosted. There is a high likely hood that the stock PCV valve (which is a borrowed part from the B5 engine, in which the B6,B8,Z series engines uses) is insufficient for these scenarios. Possible evidence of this is the short use of the B5-type PCV valve on the 99-00 Miata BP-ZE. Previous BP-ZE equiped Miatas uses the same PCV valve found on the GTX/GTR engines (as well as 1st gen's 1.8 DOHC engine). The 01+ Miatas that now have the BP-VE uses the BP-type PCV valve. The 88-89 323's B6 turbo engine also uses a different PCV valve compared to the other engines found in the same year ranges 323s.

The part number for this PCV valve is JE26-13-890 and retails for $20.25
The dimensions of this PCV valve is exactly the same as the stock one. I have examined the BP's PCV valve (the one used on the 1st gen) and the construction is similar (down to the rust red fitting... stock one is all black)except for the 90 degree angle fitting found on this one. I have also examined the other "direct fit" candidate which is the KL's PCV valve, and it appears to me that it's construction is closer to the 88-89 GT/GTX one (both have grey fittings).

Some people have already been installing PCV valves from whichever GTX engine (B6 turbo or BP turbo) but they have to install a new vacuum hose for it to work due to the fact that those PCV valves have a straight fitting. This is undesirable to some people who want to use their plastic engine cover (MP3 and MSP owners)

A PCV valve is meant to draw crankcase blow by gas back into the intake manifold to be reburnt. This will prevent pressure build up (greater than 1bar) from occuring in the crankcase. This will prevent seals from blowing out and reduce pumping losses which in effect increases engine efficiency. The blowby gasses is fuel vapor mixed with oil vapor, it must be removed from the crank case in order to prevent the engine oil from fouling from the fuel. The PCV valve is constructed with a pinnel, a spring, and perhaps other parts inside. The pinnel is open slightly during high vacuum (idle) in order to draw the low traces of blowby gasses and also to prevent the engine from having idle issues due to the air/fuel ratio from becoming too rich. At lower vacuum, the pinnel opens more and full draw capacity is achieved. When the intake manifold reaches 1 atmospheric pressure or greater (full throttle, high RPM for NA engines, and under boost for forced induction engines), the intake manifold pressure forces the pinnel shut in order to prevent the crank case from being boosted.

Now that the basic fundamentals are laid down in how the valve itself works, this is how the system works (use the attached diagram borrowed from the BP-ZET routing diagram):
-There are 2 hoses connected to the valve cover. One hose is to the air intake hose (blue solid line), the other hose leading from the intake manifold is attached to the PCV valve (red solid line).

-At high to medium vacuum, the vacuum occuring in the intake manifold system draws fresh air through the blue line hose down into the engine to give it a fresh air supply and then the displaced air (which are the vapors) gets forced through the PCV valve into the "red line" hose back into the intake manifold. The vapor charge shortly works its way through the intake manifold runners into the combustion chamber to be burned. follow the green arrows

-At 1 atmospheric pressure or greater, the PCV valve shuts. The turbo charger has now spooled which means it sucks enough air at the turbine inlet to cause anything attached to be sucked through it. The "blue line" hose air flow now reverses direction and now draws blow by gases from the engine (brown arrows). Due to this phenominon, installing an oil catch can on the "blue line" hose is recommended in order to prevent the intake air hoses, turbine, intercooler, and throttle body from being gummed up with oily residue. This "blue line" hose MUST be installed BEFORE the turbo, otherwise you end up boosting the crankcase!

Some FAQ type questions:
-So why the need of the higher capacity PCV valve? As mentioned, during high to medium vacuum, the blow by is supposed to pass through the PCV valve. But remember, as you're driving the turbo still is going even though it hasn't spooled up yet. There's a chance that it's creating enough suction at the turbine that it's already sucking some air back through the "blue line" hose. We DON'T want that to happen, hence why we want MORE flow at the PCV valve than the other hose.

-Why is there a need for the other hose when just having the PCV valve hose is enough? The reason is simple. At vacuum manifold pressures, there is usually not enough blow by to occur, and if the engine has just that one hose, vacuum will be created INSIDE the crank case and that can cause issues. The other hose is there to equalize the crank case pressures.

-With 2 hoses, and the PCV valve still closes at boost, won't the other hose (blue line) create a vacuum inside the crank case during boost? This most likely won't happen since the blow by will create constant, replenshed air flow inside the crank case.

Attachments

• PCV.jpg
    PCV.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 2,960
  • PCVvalveflow.jpg
    PCVvalveflow.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 826
So would it be beneficial to put a milenia pcv valve on the other hose as well? or just a filter on the other hose? I am asking because I am doing a custom setup on my mp3 and using the N/A injen CAI as a i/c pipe and it has a nipple with a hose going to the valve cover and it would see boost and boost the valve cover. Would a pcv valve prevent this or just a filter on the valve cover and cap the nipple on the N/A CAI?

I went to advance auto and bought one for a 02 milinia supercharged and it was the same part# as the N/A one, what's up with that, it was $1.77

The Millenia's these came from boosted close to 14 PSI from what I understand. I don't think 10 PSI will be an issue, if you have the correct PCV valve.

It's the one they gave me at Advance, I said I neede one for a 02 mazda milenia S (supercharged) and that's what they gave me .I ask him to check and see if it was the same part # as the N/A milenia and it was. HMMM??? Is this a conspiracy or just a retarded parts guy???

jtmp3 said:
It's the one they gave me at Advance, I said I neede one for a 02 mazda milenia S (supercharged) and that's what they gave me .I ask him to check and see if it was the same part # as the N/A milenia and it was. HMMM??? Is this a conspiracy or just a retarded parts guy???

A retard!!!!!! They do what the screen tell's them. ou are better off taking that one back and going to the stealership with the mazda P/N, so you KNOW you get the right one.

I guess it'll be alright for stock boost, if I see any problems I will change it.

so would this do any good to n/a cars or no? would it hurt? im going boost sometime soon and will be at the dealership next week...figured if it does not hurt for me to have it on for a month or two before boost might as weel get it...the less trips to the dealership the better

uhhh NO
JE96 is for the MPV
go look at the pics pat posted, that proves without a doubt that JE26 is the correct part

Back