5spd 3 owners, in here...

Nathan G

:
Mazda 3s
Are you guys having the same problem with the Reverse gear? I can't get it into reverse unless I blip the clutch. I was talking to 6 owner and he said he had the same problem up until 7k miles. He said it was the tranni breaking in. It's been doing this since I bought it. I'm not sure what to think.

Also, sometimes I'm having trouble getting into 3rd.

Also, I understand the engine has variable valve timing, so is the jolt from the engine that I'm getting at 3,000 and at 5,000 VVT? It feels like a small jolt, but a small loss in power.

I drive the car hard, but nothing that would damage the tranny in any way.

I currently have 2700 miles on my 3.

Thanks.

Nathan G said:
Are you guys having the same problem with the Reverse gear? I can't get it into reverse unless I blip the clutch. I was talking to 6 owner and he said he had the same problem up until 7k miles. He said it was the tranni breaking in. It's been doing this since I bought it. I'm not sure what to think.

Also, sometimes I'm having trouble getting into 3rd.
Same thing on the Mazdaspeed protege.

Nathan G said:
Also, I understand the engine has variable valve timing, so is the jolt from the engine that I'm getting at 3,000 and at 5,000 VVT? It feels like a small jolt, but a small loss in power.
VVT = changing the length and duration of the valve that is open based on RPM... It should give u more hp and torque and never lose anything. That jolt should be smoother but ya that is it...

Nathan G said:
I drive the car hard, but nothing that would damage the tranny in any way.

I currently have 2700 miles on my 3.

Thanks.
Drive the s*** out of it and sell it to seomone else.... HEHEHE

Not being able to go into reverse is a common issue with many manual tranny cars, especially if you're doing it after just starting the car. When this happens to me, I just put it into first, very briefly engage the clutch so the car maybe goes forward 1 inch, then put it in reverse. It goes in much smoother after having engaged one of the 5 forward gears.

Thanks for replies guys. :cool:

Yeah that reverse gear really made me nervous. I've been thinking the whole time whether my tranny was going or not. LOL

As far as the engine jolting, I'll have to really take a close look. It happens more often when I have the A/C on, which is understandable.

noclue119 said:
VVT = changing the length and duration of the valve that is open based on RPM... It should give u more hp and torque and never lose anything. That jolt should be smoother but ya that is it...

Well, it's not throwing me. It just feels different, really.

You have two different things that are causing your jolts. The jolt around 3000 is the VTCS opening your intake path. The jolt around 5000 is the VVT.

It's probably more noticable when it's cold, right?

Oh, and yeah... don't worry about the gear thing. It's not a big deal.

goldwing2000 said:
You have two different things that are causing your jolts. The jolt around 3000 is the VTCS opening your intake path. The jolt around 5000 is the VVT.

It's probably more noticable when it's cold, right?

Oh, and yeah... don't worry about the gear thing. It's not a big deal.
Wow, yeah that's it. Thanks man!

I had some tranny problems in the past with my other cars, hence the question(s).

Back