Side-View Mirrors...issue with them???

ggweci

:
2003 Protege5
i test drove a P5 the other day (looking to pick one up) and it seemes like a very good car...one problem however, is that the side view mirrors do not have the greatest adjustability...i had to set them all the way out to be able to get a good view along side of the car...anything less and all you'd be looking at were the rear doors...anyone else notice this? are there any "better" options to fix this, i.e. new mirror housings, etc???

Hmm..

that is pretty interesting...I never had that problem and am quite tall. Is there a possibility that the mirror housing isn't locked in place...meaning the mirror housing is moveable (not just the mirror itself), can be swung to the side of the car when in tight places.

I'm 6'2" and I have the mirrors adjusted all the way out (move my head and I can see the side of the car). I have the seat all the way back.

Either the mirrors were busted, or as Honza said, they might not have been in the normal "locked" position.

I have the seat on my P5 latched in the rearmost notch, and I do find both mirrors have to be set to the furthest out position....which is also what you found in your test drive....but if that setting at the limit is the correct adjustment (it is for me, and it sounds like it was for you) then what is the concern ? You can't move the seat back further anyways, and adjusting the mirrors is simple as you just hold the switch until they are all the way out....

Last edited:
ggweci,
I've noticed the same thing. With the mirrors all the way out, there is a huge blind spot on the driver's side. I bought and installed (stuck on) an "autobahn" mirror on the windshield which does away with the blind spot.

Jerry

Yeah..

is that one of those 180 degree mirrors? I had it on my old mazda but forgot to take it off when I sold it :( ...great things...where did you find it? Price?

I put the cheap little 2" round convex mirrors they sell in all auto parts stores on both my driver and passenger mirrors to eliminate the blind spots.

BK's black P5 said:
I put the cheap little 2" round convex mirrors they sell in all auto parts stores on both my driver and passenger mirrors to eliminate the blind spots.
Well hell, man. You ought to put that in your list of mods!!!!!!!!!:D

Back