Mazdaspeed MX-5: Sorely dissapointed

Midehv

:
2000 Mazda Miata
I was cruisin a dealership the other day for the fun of it and a salesperson suckered me into talkin about the new mazdaspeed MX-5. He claimed that he could get me into it for a price that I new he couldn't so I played along and took if for a ride. The sales rep claimed that this thing was absolutely hot. I was SORELY DISSAPOINTED. Im not sure what size the turbo was but there was all sorts of turbo lag. It wasnt boosting until nearly 4500 rpm. It lost boost during the shift and had to be re-spooled. The spool up was very rough; not the smooth feeling that we turbo fans all love. It only puts down 151 horses at the wheels which is miserable for a turbo 4 cylinder. To boot they claim its so hot right now that they can tack on an extra $5000 dollars to the msrp (totaling nearly $30,000). Ive owned a few turbo charged cars and have driven several more and this is by far the worst. And to bring my story to a close the salesperson came back with a price of 620 a month when he claimed he could get me in it for 380 a month, so I walked. Thanks for the joy ride anyhow Howie! I guess Im just trying to see what other people think who have driven it. Let me know.

Midehv said:
I was cruisin a dealership the other day for the fun of it and a salesperson suckered me into talkin about the new mazdaspeed MX-5. He claimed that he could get me into it for a price that I new he couldn't so I played along and took if for a ride. The sales rep claimed that this thing was absolutely hot. I was SORELY DISSAPOINTED. Im not sure what size the turbo was but there was all sorts of turbo lag. It wasnt boosting until nearly 4500 rpm. It lost boost during the shift and had to be re-spooled. The spool up was very rough; not the smooth feeling that we turbo fans all love. It only puts down 151 horses at the wheels which is miserable for a turbo 4 cylinder. To boot they claim its so hot right now that they can tack on an extra $5000 dollars to the msrp (totaling nearly $30,000). Ive owned a few turbo charged cars and have driven several more and this is by far the worst. And to bring my story to a close the salesperson came back with a price of 620 a month when he claimed he could get me in it for 380 a month, so I walked. Thanks for the joy ride anyhow Howie! I guess Im just trying to see what other people think who have driven it. Let me know.
Its fast as hell if you know how to drive correctly.

Mazdaspeed usa goal is not to build the fastest straight line cars but a car that has equal balance of power and handling. Straight line roadster is what your looking for try the Z4.

I totally disagree. Spool by 4500RPM? No way man, not a chance, unless yours was busted. Boost is always lost between shifts in a manual...

Although the fuel/timing totally reminds me of my MSP because its pretty jerky...

Granted I wasn't paying full attention the the Tach when I was on it, I could be off a bit on the 4500 RPM, but not by much at most. I certainly was surprised at how long it took to get the turbo up. As for losing boost during a shift, of course any manual will because youre not going to be moving exhaust through the turbo, but Ive never felt a car face plant when coming out of a shift. And Im not saying it was a bad car, I was just dissapointed. I guess I expected more. Anyway I just wanted to see if anyone else was as disapointed as I but I guess not.

i think quick is better term for the MS miata, and i'd bet mdehv is right on, my N/A miata pulls 120 RWHP, and it weighs alot less then the MS, and w/o lag........

Well ive driven the MS miata too and gotten on it pretty hard, and i didnt experience anything, especially it "falling on its face" between shifts...i dont know

a t88 will hit boost by 4500...

the t25 in there is not a ball bearing so it doesnt spool as fast as ours but it should still spool by 3000 rpm.

ok, I dunno what was wrong with the car in yoru case, but mine hits hard between 3 and 3.5k and just keep building up to redline... Sure it drops a littel between gears, but if you're quick about it, it's not a big deal...

Can't say about your sales guy.. that one's your own opinion..

As far as 151rwhp? Sure, not terribly a lot.. but what did you expect? It claims only 178, so that figure is right on... Besides, if you saw FM's #'s those were at whatever elevation they're at in Colordao. Granted it's a turbo car, so elevation makes less of a difference, but it's still something...

What else are you going to get that's light, reasonably powerful, and RWD for that price? Not to mention what can you do with it in the aftermarket?

Mazda had an mx-5 making 250hp that they experimented with for production, but they felt it would overpower the chassis and be too much of underexperienced drivers. They aren't that fast, but aftermarket will certainly help.

rx7gslse said:
What else are you going to get that's light, reasonably powerful, and RWD for that price? Not to mention what can you do with it in the aftermarket?

Well right now theres that $5000 markert adjustment in my area (Las Vegas) which will put the MS MX-5 over $30,000 after tax and title. I dont know if the same is true for other areas. For that price id much rather be sitting in an SRT-4. However, the SRT-4 is not rear wheel drive.

and the SRT-4 is a neon. minus the engine, tranny, seats, and wheels, it's a neon through and through. any talk otherwise is like saying a civic with an H22 swap is no longer a civic.

Midehv said:
Well right now theres that $5000 markert adjustment in my area (Las Vegas) which will put the MS MX-5 over $30,000 after tax and title. I dont know if the same is true for other areas. For that price id much rather be sitting in an SRT-4. However, the SRT-4 is not rear wheel drive.
This just shows how retarded you really are. Also, people have been recording anywhere from 14.5 to 15.2 in the 1/4.

30 grand, and you would get a neon?

ummmm, ok.

I'm interested in seeing if the msm has as much varied performance from car to car as the msp does.

If so, this may be the ultimate death of all Mazdaspeeds. Mazda REALLY has to pull through this time.

You guys are nuts. :p Everyone has their opinion, and mine is that the MSM is a great little car. The boost does kick in hard at 3K and it's perfect for what it's meant to be--an autocross car. :)

When Mazda comes out with a grand touring car again, I'm sure it won't be dissapointing.

Maybe the Neon would be the best choice for you, Midehv, if you are only interested in an inexpensive car that can produce great quarter mile times. (dunno) Just beware, I know numerous SRT-4 owners and they all say they do not handle well at all.

Also, don't let slimy sales guys with dollar signs in their eyes get the best of you. They will try to sucker someone into paying more than list for a special edition car. I was offered list on a MSM down in Austin; just shows what dealers are professional and want repeat customers. :)

Last edited:
Midehv said:

Well.. I paid under sticker for mine.. It's not my fault yoru dealer is tryin' to screw you...

C&D also posted 14.59 at 93.xxx on their car. We'll see what "real world" number are as I hate argueing about magazine specs.

Even if the miata was sold for invoice, its still more expensive than the srt-4. So where are you going with this?

Midehv said:

Well, the boost problem can be cured by buying a good boosted controlled. I drove the MS MX-5 aswell, and was very pleased to say the least. I thought it was a very well put together car. I'm not sure what you were xpecting when you test drove it, but I thought it was dramatic imporvement on the LS Miata. Granted it's nowhere near as fast as FMII 1990 Miata with link, but it definately put a smile on my face.

BinaryRotary said:
This just shows how retarded you really are. Also, people have been recording anywhere from 14.5 to 15.2 in the 1/4.

This is why I hate forums. I merely posted a topic for debate and you have to go and call me retarded. If you like the car fine, post your opinion, that was my objective, if I wanted to discuss my inteligence I would have posted accordingly. This just shows how immature you really are.

Latest posts

Back