my turbo mp3 now has the aem ems!

roni

:
2001 Mazda Protege MP3
The AEM EMS is now installed and running well on my turbo mp3! I opted for the optional wideband o2 sensor (in my opinion, no wideband o2 sensor is not an option for my turbo'd protege). And I am relieved that my Vortech FMU is now completely gone. The reparations that my car needed from the time I purchased it have turned out to be a fairly long and costly project, but my turbo setup has been greatly improved over what it was when I initially purchased my car in January.

The car is performing incredibly better than it was, even though I still have an exhaust manifold that I am dissatisfied with. Andy Wagner and Nick (perfworks) will replace my exhaust manifold with one (similar to the one Kooldino has http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showpost.php?p=827445&postcount=13) very shortly.

Although I know scheduled appointments don't always go as planned, my car is scheduled to be dyno'd on Thursday of this week. These dyno results will be public knowledge.

My car is tuned appropriately for my daily street driving from what I can tell. I do not foresee any problems, but I am comfortable that the tuning may need adjustment in the future.

Tuesday/Wednesday my Mazdaspeed LSD will be installed along with a stage 1 ACT clutch, Fidanza flywheel and front and rear AWR A/T motor mounts.

If anyone wants to read up on my previous posts or has been watching my progress, they will learn that I had a very problematic setup with no engine management in place. I have slowly but surely fixed about 90% of the problems during the last 3-4 months.

I have researched a few different directions:

- The first one I contemplated was the Greddy E-manage (I already had the Greddy Profec E-01 electronic boost controller, whose functionality is mostly limited to boost control without the E-manage present.)

- The second one was the MPI Tuner. I was quite confident that I would be comfortable going this direction, as many people I trust have have been successful with the MPI Tuner.

- The third (and probably final) was the AEM pnp EMS. Having researched the AEM EMS before I even heard of it's potential application to any Mazda Protege, I was intrigued by it's potential.

Please feel free to ask me any questions about this. I will attempt to provide answers. Since my car will be going away again for a few days Monday evening, I do not have much time to play with it right now, so be patient if I do not post more information within the next day or so. And I will be posting some pics for you folks.

Last edited:
id liek to see some pics of the unit itself and some screens of the software! Congrats there...Nice to see NJ kicking some MORE ass...

NJ owns the turbo protege arena...SUCK IT THE REST OF THE CONTINENTAL US..come race paul, dino, me, roni and all the other crazy bastards that live in the dirty jers

(i said continental cuz those hawaii dudes scare the bejeeesus out of me)

Yes more info?

Also how do you plan to break in your new clutch before the dyno? Or are you hoping to glaze that thing over right after you put it in by taking it to the dyno the next day? :D

Little Beavis said:
Also how do you plan to break in your new clutch before the dyno? Or are you hoping to glaze that thing over right after you put it in by taking it to the dyno the next day? :D
ehh. i suppose i can attempt to break it in before the dyno. i'll just drive, i don't need to sleep that night. besides, i'm finally going to finally have an lsd. :)

from act's website:
organic street discs "00 and SS" we recommend breaking in the clutch for 200-300 miles with mild engagement such as stop and go city driving prior to racing or spirited driving.

it's possible i suppose. but not completely likely. i will find a solution.

Last edited:
yes yes, pics of EVERYTHING, I WANT TO SEE THE WORLD!!!!

sorry, i can't sleep tonight(this morning).

Here is a pic of her car with the old setup. This comming week the MP3 will undergo surgery for a new SS Tubular manifold, Huge FMIC and new SS charge pipes.

Attachments

• 000_0040.JPG
    000_0040.JPG
    414.9 KB · Views: 412
Here is a pic of the harness. This car will utilize a different harness as an end result because of some upgrades we are adding this week. So this is a preliminary shop harness we use to run the car till her new one is done on thursday. It will be similair in everyway just a little bit nicer looking for the final install.

Attachments

• 000_0041.JPG
    000_0041.JPG
    429.6 KB · Views: 611
i love my car. i am SO happy to have her back and she's SO much happier.

thanks for posting the pics. i forgot my camera this morning. it's kinda hard for me to concentrate here at work, so it's time for me to go out there and play with it!
:D

perfworks said:
Here is a pic of her car with the old setup. This comming week the MP3 will undergo surgery for a new SS Tubular manifold, Huge FMIC and new SS charge pipes.

roni said:
i love my car. i am SO happy to have her back and she's SO much happier.

thanks for posting the pics. i forgot my camera this morning. it's kinda hard for me to concentrate here at work, so it's time for me to go out there and play with it!
:D
No problem, she went thru an amazing transformation. I like how smooth she feels now than when she first came in.
And it will get even better after some more tuning and a more efficient induction setup.

Well, that should shut up the "I don't see a PnP" people :). Now on to.................... THE DYNO WAR! Muuhahahah :). Controversey here we come.

Thanks for the pics.
Chris

DooMer_MP3 said:
Well, that should shut up the "I don't see a PnP" people :). Now on to.................... THE DYNO WAR! Muuhahahah :). Controversey here we come.

Thanks for the pics.
Chris
hahaah yea man..how much for a harness?!?!?!just a blank that I can solder the s*** out of my self....OMG DOES YOUR HARNESS HAVE A WIRE IN PIN 73??!?!?!?!?!?! HOLY POO I just realized howbad I need one off these, cuz no matter what I do my pin 73 wire wont stay for the mp3-p5 ecu swap cel fix...doh

KzA said:
hahaah yea man..how much for a harness?!?!?!just a blank that I can solder the s*** out of my self....OMG DOES YOUR HARNESS HAVE A WIRE IN PIN 73??!?!?!?!?!?! HOLY POO I just realized howbad I need one off these, cuz no matter what I do my pin 73 wire wont stay for the mp3-p5 ecu swap cel fix...doh
Im sorry Joe but the connectors are not for sale right now.
If you contact me maybe then we could help you with your setup at some point.

KzA said:

LOL. **** pin 73!

i abandoned the pin 73 p5 ecu swap cel fix as soon as i figured out that i would be doing the aem ems. but i didn't have a too much of a problem getting a wire into pin 73.

so i just took my car to get it's badly needed alignment. it'll be back in a couple hours. then i get to drive it more!

Latest posts

Back