Front turn signal problem.. odd..

ChuEy826

:
Mazda Protege' 5 - 2003.5 - Silver - Auto
Yesterday I swapped out my pretty much new headlight housing for a painted headlight housing. Took off the bumper, swapped the housings no problem. I drove back to my dorms, and when I got there I noticed that one of my front turn signals dosen't turn on when the headlights are on. However, when I turn on the hazards or signal, both work. So I figure its not the bulb itself. I took the bulb + harness it sits in off of both sides, and switched them. Sure enough, the problem switched sides. This means for sure its not the wiring leading up to the harness. So the problem must be the harness. Can anyone think of a way to fix this? Should I get a new harness? Any tests I should run (remember I have basically no tools)?

If you're confused when I say harness, I mean the thing the bulb sits in.

bulb --(sits in)--> harness --(connects with)--> wiring

lol my best attempt at explaining it. Thanks for your help in advance!

Try rotating the bulb 180 degrees then plugging it back in. I just replaced a turn signal bulb up front and I noticed it was acting weird (blinking twice as fast). I took it out, rotated it 180 degrees then put it back in. If you notice on the metal part of the bulb the metal bump thingies are different heights...

might be it...maybe not...

Didn't have the chance to check yet.. I'll probably go try tonight, gotta finish up some school stuff right now. i'll update you guys ASAP

Tried the 180 degree thing late last night... didn't work. In fact, I couldn't even get it to sit in the headlight housing right after rotating it.

I was thinking about switching the bulbs from one harness to the other... its ok to touch the turn signal bulb with your fingers right? Its pretty hard to get out of there.

myndfi3ld - what is this filament you speak of?

ChuEy826 said:
Tried the 180 degree thing late last night... didn't work. In fact, I couldn't even get it to sit in the headlight housing right after rotating it.

I was thinking about switching the bulbs from one harness to the other... its ok to touch the turn signal bulb with your fingers right? Its pretty hard to get out of there.

myndfi3ld - what is this filament you speak of?
Yeah its's ok to touch the bulb I think. I just grab the bulb when I'm taking it out/putting it it.

If you look inside the bulb, there are 2 filaments. (One lights up for the parking lights and the other lights up to flash the turn signal) myndfi3ld may be right. I'd buy a new bulb and try that first. It's only $2.50 or something for a pair. If that doesn't work then maybe you need a new harness?

The ones I have in there are white... I've got the stock ones in my car... I'll give those a shot. Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna go give it a shot... and do some laundry while I'm at it lol.

it is ok to hold the turning lights with your bare hands

it is not ok to hold the driving lights with your bare hands
hope that clears the confusion

i am doubtful if the bulb is the actual problem, but it is definitly worth the shot
again, let us know what happens
thanks

just took another look at the bulb.. and sure enough, it looks like one of the filiments is out... looks like it was burned to a crisp. At least it signals for now. Thanks for your help guys.

Back