ARGH CT Cops

Kansei

Banned
Yeah I just got home after getting pulled over as I was exiting the highway. The police officer said "I clocked you going 85, any more than that and I would be arresting you right now".

Here's the problem: I know I wasn't going 85, or else my speedo is whack. I couldn't have been going (according to my speedo at least) more than 77. I wasn't about to go faster than this because well... no real need to, and plus the roads were wet, I didn't want to hit deer, and I know that the area is well patrolled.

I have a Bel Vector 985 radar/laser detector, and it sat silently as this police officer "clocked" me.

What should I do? This is my first ticket, and it's for $279! I know I wasn't going eighty five, and if I was then my car did a bad job of telling me. Other than with tire diameter is there any real way that the speedo can be messed up on these cars? Is this cop just trying to ruin my life because I'm a teenager going to college soon?

A similar thing happened to my friend but the officer said that he "paced" my friend (though he didn't because he would have to have matched speeds which he failed to do). My friend consulted a lawyer and the lawyer said that basically you can't do anything about it, there's no way to prove that the officer was wrong, etc.

Oh and ugh what will this do to my insurance rates??

I thought I read somewhere that when your speedometer says you are going 65 you are really going 62 or something like that... :(

:(

Check the ticket for any inconsistencies...wrong information like car make / model, license plate, etc.

You don't have to prove the cop was wrong, the cop has to prove he was right.

sounds like a good fight if he apparently doesnt know how fast you were going and your radar detector didnt go off

sounds like you can call his bluff

I would also fight it cuz even if he DID clock you and demonstrates that in court if what you say is true, someone else is at fault for your speedo being significantly off

Wait...was this your first offense and he gave you a ticket for that much? Yo should have gotten a warning...that's it. But he's right...abotu 85 is recless in CT. But think of it this way, end of the month...and no matter how much cops say they don't have quotas, they still try to tag people at the beginning and end of the month. Sounds like you were on RT. 8...that's a boat load of ass cheese....man. I've gone 100+ down that road...I think I'm just lucky...

You should have asked to see the certificate of calibration for the radar gun. If you go to court ask to see the certificate. That may be a way out.

enter spicy undisputed king of ct traffic offenses..(record 7 wins 0 losses)

FIGHT IT. Prepare your case, clear your head, wear a clean shirt and explain it. You have a slight chance of getting out of it, but most likely not. I got an 83 in a 55 on I-84 and got out. You'd be suprised, these courts actually listen to you.

Do not ask for a certificate of calibration, the cop will need to testify against you, and in that case your chances drop to almost zero. The cop can make up anything they want and they will win. Trust me. Go in, present yourself in a calm, collected manner and take what you get.

I can see not asking for the cert. for the court date but if you were to ask for it at the time of being pulled over then you might have gotten out of it.

Yeah right, that would of landed you in the back seat of his car real quick. You can't ask for it, you can only get it in front of a magistrate or judge.

Well you can in New York, but I guess not in CT. I can't remeber how many times my friend has done this and gotten out of speeding tickets.

servoeyes said:
Wait...was this your first offense and he gave you a ticket for that much? Yo should have gotten a warning...that's it. But he's right...abotu 85 is recless in CT. But think of it this way, end of the month...and no matter how much cops say they don't have quotas, they still try to tag people at the beginning and end of the month. Sounds like you were on RT. 8...that's a boat load of ass cheese....man. I've gone 100+ down that road...I think I'm just lucky...
I got pulled over like six weeks ago for going 55 in a 45 and I got a warning (note: I was not going 55, this time my speedo said 50).. since I only got a warning I didn't care, I didn't realize that it would mean next time I get a 279 dollar ticket.

jersey_emt said:
Check the ticket for any inconsistencies...wrong information like car make / model, license plate, etc.

You don't have to prove the cop was wrong, the cop has to prove he was right.
Looking at the ticket, I cannot at all read what it says about "make/model/style" other than "Mazda Prot" because the entire ticket is so very light that I can't read it. He took a pen and wrote in the fine and the answer date, but the rest is so light that I can't read half of it. Where it says "Address" it looks like it says "Six" which makes no sense at all and state isn't filled in... but then up above on the ticket the address was filled out. hmm I guess that's nothing then.

EDIT: This was about an hour after I put my "Sport 20 Familia" badge on the rear, it would have been great if he wrote that for the model but he looked at the registration probably. Speaking of that, he never did ask for my insurance card, is that normal? I'm not a veteran of this lol.

Last edited:
just go to court with the ticket 90 percent chance the cop wont show up and if your telling the truth then it'll get thrown right out b/c the cop has to show the radar reading if you ask for it in the courtroom

My friend took his to court, with his lawyer's advice pleaded that he was a good student and that he didn't understand why he was being targetted because he would never have been going that fast, etc, etc... the cop didn't have to even prove that he paced him, because he absolutely did not. From what I've read they have to get behind you and verify your speed a few times, but this cop came up fast behind my friend and then pulled him right over.

Oh yes, I remember someone telling me something about how if it is night and the cop has no lights on he can't pull you over because he is presenting himself as "off-duty"... both times I got pulled over it was dark and they had no lights on.

I really hope he says he hit me with laser. There's a veeery good chance that my laser detector would have detected it.. and I don't have a front license plate. Can they get you with laser without a front license plate? With radar I don't see how he could have gotten my speed, there were plenty of other cars on the road (I was in the passing lane only because I couldn't get into the slow lane and needed to get off an exit. ARGH I'm so frustrated.

EDIT: When you have your court date do you have to have the money on hand? I'm glad I didn't make the appointment to get tint, looks like that'll have to wait. UGH I hate my mom for things like this, she broke into my room for no reason at all (it's locked with a key that she doesn't have) and tore open the sealed envelope and freaked out on me when she got home and told me she was going to take the car away, she didn't even let me explain. Then she freaked out again when she saw that I checked off "not guilty" because she said it was a waste of time. I called her "a ******* idiot" and closed the door in her face. I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL I GO TO COLLEGE!

Last edited:
dude u totally need to chill-ax the best thing you can do is check off not guilty, send out the ticket, and wait for your date until then theres not much more you can do except try to remeber EVERY detail of that day like where there other people speeding, and to your knowlage if your were speeding, i know it may sound dumb but its the only way for you to clear your head and remember everything without any inconsistiancys.
Next dont bother with lawyers there all dumbasses! when i got my ticket back in FL i got mail from all these wack ass lawyers saying that they can win my case and crap with out me having to go to court so lawyers are retarded, like kyle said when u go to court make ur self look as decent as possible and chances are the cop wont even show up, they DO have better things to do then defend a ticket he probablly wont even remember u by then anyways no need to get mad....and as for ur mom being mad at u HAHA that u gotta deal with im just glad when i got my ticket i was far away from home
...BTW cops DO target KIDS, in NICE CARS! and little things like ur SP20 decals and crap, will make u stand out more, believe me i was followed by a statie B4 for a good 10 miles before he did a Uturn and went back on the Highway even though i was speeding i was one of the slower ones IE limit 55 me 75 others 85-90mph(hand)

xxmikkoxx said:
...BTW cops DO target KIDS, in NICE CARS! and little things like ur SP20 decals and crap, will make u stand out more, believe me i was followed by a statie B4 for a good 10 miles before he did a Uturn and went back on the Highway even though i was speeding i was one of the slower ones IE limit 55 me 75 others 85-90mph(hand)
:( this was only an hour or so after I installed the JDM rear badge, but he wasn't following me or anything.. he pulled out of his position on the median as i neared him and then came up behind me and waited, then i got in the slow lane and into the exit lane and i think that's when he decided to pull me over because he thought i was trying to escape.. i was like 30 feet from non-state patrolled land and then he put the lights on :( yeah i'm gonna send it out once i find some stamps, marked off not guilty, and i guess tint will have to wait until then.

btw, take off the stickers on your car..that is just asking for trouble..moreover, at the first hearing, the cop doesn't show up..matter of fact, they aren't supposed to..most people don't go farther than the first hearing..if they don't throw it out, and you choose to keep fighting it, then it will be brought to a court level. And don't listen to anyone, the COP ALWAYS SHOWS UP. I've been in court 3 times for speeding and in CT, they don't **** around. Your best bet, take off that K&N and kartboy (sorry tom) sticker and slow down...good luck man.

wait, you called you mom a ****** idiot because she was mad you got a ticket in a car she is probably paying for?

mp5jeff said:
wait, you called you mom a ****** idiot because she was mad you got a ticket in a car she is probably paying for?
That's where you're wrong. She isn't paying for the car, and she isn't paying for the ticket.

SpicyMchaggis said:
btw, take off the stickers on your car..that is just asking for trouble..moreover, at the first hearing, the cop doesn't show up..matter of fact, they aren't supposed to..most people don't go farther than the first hearing..if they don't throw it out, and you choose to keep fighting it, then it will be brought to a court level. And don't listen to anyone, the COP ALWAYS SHOWS UP. I've been in court 3 times for speeding and in CT, they don't **** around. Your best bet, take off that K&N and kartboy (sorry tom) sticker and slow down...good luck man.
I try to limit any performance stickers to the passenger side, specifically so that when I eventually got pulled over they wouldn't be seen. They are getting a little old though, and will be coming off soon.

Back