My Turbo Update

big_ben

Contributor
I cranked the car up for the first time yesterday. I got excited when I heard the turbo spooling when I reved the engine. Then I decided to take it for a ride. I bent down to take all the stuff out from under the car so I could take it off the jack stands, and there was a huge puddle of oil under there. I must not have tightened the oil feed line enough. It was getting dark so I decided to wait till today to tighten it. I didn't have the exhaust hooked up and it was much quieter than I thought it would be without exhaust. It was just the down pipe on there. It had a race car sound, but it was a muffled sound, not like the fart can honda's. I'll give updates tomarrow.

coooooooool. we need details. give us sound pics, videos (like wshade). It'd be cool to do a comparison. and both you and shade need to do some dyno testing!!!!!!!!!!

I drove my car yesterday as a turbo for the first time. I kept it a 6psi since I didn't have the J&S hooked up yet. Linuxracer was there with me. It pulls very hard at only 6psi! I am defitetely excited about it. I still need to do some small adjustments and clean everything up. I still need to build the exhaust. I'm just having 2.5" from the muffler forward for right now. I have pretty much run out of time since the show is on saturday and My car has to be there at 1pm on friday. I just have one question for the other turbo guys. After driving it for about 15 to 20 minutes, There was lots of heat coming off of the manifold and the down pipe. How normal is this. I'm talking about HOT. The water temp was the same as without the turbo though, so I guess that's good. So all you guys with turbo out there, let me know how the heat is under your hood after driving. Thanks.

Cool Ben!!! :D

Yes it's normal that the manifold get very hot. IT can even get red hot under heavy driving. That's why I made those scoops on my hood. It help to get fresh air in and to get the hot air out.

You can install an EGT gauge to monitor the temperature.

Also, DON'T FORGET to let your car run for 2 minutes before stoping your car after riding it hard. You don't want to roast the oil in the turbo!!!

Thanks for that reassuring info. I lifted the hood and the smoke was coming out from all the oil I got on the engine block during instalation. I had some problems with oil leaks at first, they are all fixed now. I'm going to instal the J&S wither today or tomarrow. Then it's 8spi, and 10psi for the second stage of the boost controler.

Cool Ben it sounds like you had a long week-end, hopefully August the 15th I can start on mine. It kind of sucks having the turbo, manifold, intercooler, and clutch ridding in the car with me. I can't wait until m2performance is done with the chip and injector upgrades.

Ooh yeah, how are you controling your fuel, and retarding the timming.

Well good luck Ben, ooh one more question, are you about ready to file that chapter 11 now.LOL

(drinks)

Be careful with your rods. Mazda owners have had probs past 10psi.

I'm using the J&S Safeguard to control the timing. As for the fuel, I'm just using a Vortech FMU at a 10:1 setting. I think it will be plenty of fuel. I was ready to file chapter 11 like a month ago.:p

Be careful with your rods. Mazda owners have had probs past 10psi.
Spoolin has taken his to 12psi with no pinging. He got 226hp at the wheels. I know he can get more now. I estimate that he can get about 240 at the wheels now that his setup has been tuned over the past month. As for the rods, the J&S will protect them, if it hears pinging, it retards the timing way down so it will save the motor. You can't just go out and run 20psi with it though, you have to know your limits. I feel very safe at 10 to 12psi. But that's only for the dyno and racing once in a while, for daily driving I'll use 5 to 7psi.

Spoolin has taken his to 12psi with no pinging. He got 226hp at the wheels. I know he can get more now. I estimate that he can get about 240 at the wheels now that his setup has been tuned over the past month. As for the rods, the J&S will protect them, if it hears pinging, it retards the timing way down so it will save the motor. You can't just go out and run 20psi with it though, you have to know your limits. I feel very safe at 10 to 12psi

Really? GReat!!!! Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if the safeguard could truly protect against throwing a rod. I just get so scared of the idea of running 20psi in my car....I love her too much.
By the way, I think we ought to start a thread in the forced induction section, maybe. We have something like it, but I want a thread called "THE DARKSIDE" where only turbo users may post, and give us their sage advice, and where new turbo users may step in and say in all certainty....."I HAVE JOINED THE DARKSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"(flame)

It could be a place to showoff/inform......
have pics, vids (like shade's), and best of all, dyno results.

BTW, does spoolin or ANYONE have any dyno results posted?????? post-turbo, of course.

I wasn't sure if the safeguard could truly protect against throwing a rod
Spoolin is using the Link Engine Manegment unit. It's not stand alone, nut it's close. He can control his 4 extra injectors and his timing per rpm. That's why he's getting so much power. He said he thinks he at about 205hp at the wheels at only 8psi. I am just guessing that he could get 240hp. But I do believe that the J&S wall keep by engine safe. Go to www.jandssafeguard.com and check it out. The C5 Corvette uses it during races. It's gotta be good if they use it.

Ben, don't forget to post some pictures!!!

About the J&S, is it look simple to install? I heard that you have to make a hole in the block for a knock sensor, is it true?

As for runing over 12 psi, personaly, even with the J&S, I think it's not a good idea without forge piston and rod. The problem with high psi is not only the pinging, it's the high presure on the piston and rod. The more high is the psi, the more powerfull is the explosion in the combustion chamber and the stress is higher on the piston and the rod. The J&S only assure you that the explosion is at the right time to avoid pinging but it doesn't reduce the stress on the pistons and rods.

Just be carefull with the psi!!!;)

That damn thing pulled like a pimp! He hit it, and it spooled up and took off. When it shifted, the hiss was loud. It still needs some fine tunning though. I will be there tomorrow to see what else unfolds. Who knows, I may be next! (flame)

I guess all of the Turbo talk is getting to me....

At just 6psi it seemed to be a big difference (according to this post anyway).

So my question is this...

How much would it cost to do a non-intercooler turbo setup using spoolins base kit and could I run 6psi?

I probably won't do anything for a while (I'm buying a house soon) but I do like thinking about it.

Tim

I'm with Tim, I'd like to know as well from those who know...thanks!(laugh)

I've been looking into turboing my probe and actually have a bulk buy going on for his starter kit in the for sale forum. (check it out) also We figured anywhere from 2000 to 3000 for a non intercooled setup if you know the right people. maybe even less. That includes piping, turbo, bov, manifold, oil lines & fittings, fmu, and a manual boost controller. I'm sure I'm forgeting some odds and ends but that's the basics for a non intercooled kit.

Hey trobbins,

First off, is it me or is it rather insane that the only two MP3s (I believe) in Madison, WI are now in the same apartment complex?! I sure think so ;).

Also, all of this turbo talk is getting to me as well. My immediate plans were to get the AEM intake, a header and exhaust. However, its hardly worth the time and effort. After I get rid of some of this debt, I'd rather save up for the BEGI kit. I don't need insane power, just something to make me feel it. 6psi would also be nice. But I still like the idea of hitting 200hp at the crank. Is this possible with a non-intercooled 6psi setup?

Chris

Doomer, do you live over here now?

Which apartment??

It was kind of wierd seeing another MP3 in the lot.

Anyways... I am looking at buying a house soon so I may be leaving. But not for the time being.

See ya around..

Tim

LinuxRacr said:
That damn thing pulled like a pimp! He hit it, and it spooled up and took off. When it shifted, the hiss was loud. It still needs some fine tunning though. I will be there tomorrow to see what else unfolds. Who knows, I may be next! (flame)

Congratulations! That first ride is always the best :cool: Good luck!

Back