KLZE swap?

enzo ferrari

:
Mazda Protege MP3
Sort of a repost but i had to.
Lets face it, everyone on here would probably switch to the KLZE motor if they had some better information and one person to go for it. Basically the only things that have been posted are that it will be "expensive" and the same bs answer that "anthything is possible with enough money". What i would like to know is if anyone has an actual answer regaurding this swap. Lets assume that you would replace the tranny for the 5spd lsd and the engine swap. So, approximately how much would it cost to change these two things. One estimate being and worst case senario and another figuering on just changing the motor mounts. Finally one last question. If the mazdaspeed has been quoted at a 0-60 time of 6.8 sec. with 170 hp. what could be expected with the KLZE engine (200hp, 7500rpm, v6, with lsd). Thanks in advance. If someone can answer this competantly and not be bsing i will be amazed.

It will be expensive, but anything is possible with enough money.

Sorry someone had to say it. I'm interested in knowing what this would entail as well. I wouldn't want to do it (I love my turbo), but it would be cool to know if it was possible.

ok, lets go for some VERY basic needs:

-KL-ZE + new waterpump, new alternator, new head gasket(s), curved neck intake manifold, new timing belt
-K-series tranny + LSD
-custom shift linkage + shifter
-custom drive shafts
-custom subframe
-custom motor mounts
-custom tranny mounts
-KL-ZE ECU + harness
-custom harness
-LOTS of wiring diagrams and time to figure out how to wire the motor to the body harness
-custom radiator
-modified firewall most likely
-trunk mounted battery

THEN you'll have all the little hang ups with mounting the motor, like mating power-steering & A/C lines, dodging the brake master cylinder and brake lines, fitting the alternator.

you've got a pipe dream. give up. for as much as the swp WOULD infact cost you, you could build an FS-DE, add a turbo kit and then tune it with a good EMS. I don't see the point in putting a KL-ZE into a 3rd gen at all. w/ the KL-ZE you'll probably have a 6.5sec 0-60 time. a MSP or aftermarket turbo'd Protege could gain that .3 seconds with a bolt on or two, or just a bit more boost. YOU'RE OUT OF YOUR ELEMENT, DONNIE!!!

it wont fit without SERIOUS fender or tranny modification. Also, you have added weight that will negate most of your gained performance. FWIW, last I heard the 2.5L KLZE motor is a cousin of the 3.0L duratec (not sure about this), but the 3.0L duratec will bolt bolt straight up to the msp tranny.

TurboTurboTurbo said:
it wont fit without SERIOUS fender or tranny modification. Also, you have added weight that will negate most of your gained performance. FWIW, last I heard the 2.5L KLZE motor is a cousin of the 3.0L duratec (not sure about this), but the 3.0L duratec will bolt bolt straight up to the msp tranny.

Nope, Duratec and K-series are completely diffrent.

Well I have never swapped a KL into a protege but I did have a KL swapped into my MX3. The cost was more than what it was worth just for parts alone. At least to me it wasnt worth it, till I boosted the car and that was when it was all worth it. Only thing I wish I would have done is build the car myself. But with school and work I didnt have alot of time to build, so I had some good people I knew build it for me. It was a really fun car and had a blast in it. But all in all I wont ever do it again, not to me protege and not to a mx3. Too much for for a small power gain, unless you plan on going boost with it. Im trying to remember how much just the swap cost me in parts and im think after I bought everything for just motor and tranny i spent close to 1500-2000 roughly. This was over 10 years ago as well, my memory does not serve me well from day to day let alone 10 years. lol Just all depends in what you want to do with it. Me on the other hand had to money to blow, i was in a car wreck and got a really nice settlement and so I had the car built for me. No mom and daddy did not pay for any of my stuff while in school. I just was luck and unlucky at the time. But I did loose college scholarships over the wreck, so things where not dandy then, so I blew all the money on somethign I wanted so bad. So if you have the money, go for it. I really miss the car and wish now I would have never got rid of it. but hey things happen for a reason.

Good luck on the build if you decided to go trough it, looks like there is already some good input here, just figured id throw my 2 cents in about the KL swap.

Wait...a small increase in power? You go from 90-115whp depending on what motor you start with. A healthy KLZE on a bad day will dyno around 170whp and around 180-185whp with bolt-ons. that's 60-90whp for around $4k not to mention the gain in torque, and then you have a much better platform to boost if you want eve more, 300whp on lower boost is pretty much the norm for the KL. I am sure your expenses were much greater since you had someone build you mx3 for you and this is not the route i would tell anyone to do. For one, any swapped car is a mix between original car and parts from the donor cars. So, if you do the swap yourself and something breaks you know what year, make, model to buy the parts for. Also, the wiring is the biggest feat in most swaps, with that being the case the peace of mind knowing your wires are terminated correctly, nothing is getting pinched or burned is a great feeling. I believe the KL whether it be the DE, ZE, G4 is a great option for someone who just blew their FS/FP/ZM/ZL/BP/etc... or thinking about building their motor for boost. Since a good motor build will run ya close to 4-5k anyways(including top end mods) your can start with a stock engine that will hold low levels of boost just as easy and make basically the same power. Not to mention have something quite different. I do agree with you saying that its up to what you want from your car. However, thats always the case when modding, this isnt something you do if you plan on selling the car shortly after since the amount spent is around the value of the car, but I as well as the others who have done the swap(for the most part) plan on keeping their proteges going for a long time to come.

/rant

Last edited:
Back