P5 - MSP/MP3 Headlight swap wiring

Leadfoot

Potential Scammer!
:
Mazdaspeed Protege '03
OK.....I just figured out & have my new P5 headlights correctly wired in my MSP. Thanks to Tony, Mike & all the other guys (I'm sorry if I forget names) that helped out at the MTMA meet this past weekend. This was an unexpected mod that I've been looking to do for some time. Paul...when you get a donor, I can get you wired in no time flat now!

This was actually pretty straight forward once I figured out which wires did which. As it turns out, there is one wire that is essentially useless when you do the conversion. This is for the MSP/MP3/3rd Gen Protege's wiring:

You'll have 3 cut wires from your original wiring harness (from stock setup) and 2 new wiring harnesses for the P5 headlight housing (4 wires....2 for low beam, 2 for high beam). You do NOT need to remove the inside turn signal harness, as this will fit the P5 Headlight housing.

Starting w/ passenger side, there is one wire that is Red w/ a black stripe...this wire is useless now & you just need to cap the end. (Also, cap the ends of the green & black wires that went to the amber corner marker.) With the remaining two wires, wire them to the High-beam harness for the P5 housing, which is the inside headlight bulb (polarity shouldn't matter....you're closing a circuit). For your Low-beams, you need to go into the Passenger wheel well & open the shroud enough to gain access to the fog-light wiring. Strip back roughly 10 inches of the protective cover on these wires (black & blue wires). Cut these wires and splice in two additional wires (you'll need lots of length, so use the spool of wire & trim after you've run it). But-splice them all back together so that your fogs are hooked back up & you have an extra wire for your low beams. Run these wires through the hole behind the washer fluid bottle & into the engine bay. Now you can connect these wires to your low beam harness.

Now, for the driver's side you need to connect additional wire to your passenger low-beam harness to run to the other side. I ran mine in front of the radiator hidden up under the cross-brace. Simply run this across, then splice it to your driver's side low-beam wiring harness. You should now have both low-beams wired up. For the driver's side high beam, the useless wire this time is the Red w/ White stripe.....cap that wire & the remaining 2 wires (mine were All red, and Red w/ a green stripe) get spliced to your high-beam harness.

You can cap those pesky green & black corner marker wires on this side too now. Now, get out your trusty electrical tape & make sure all your connections are spliced good & taped up to keep them good & dry. Also I recommend getting some wiring loom to protect the wires as they run down to the harnesses (exposed wires look bad in the engine bay IMO)

Now, you're low-beams & fogs should come on together, and when switching to high beam your highs only will be on .....just like stock.

Oh yeah.....I also learned how to get all 3 on at once, how to keep your fog's on constantly by simply grounding that pesky useless Red w/ black stripe wire, how to have dual beams for high, and only fogs for low, and how to blow a s***-load of fuses!!!! LOL!!

Good luck!!!

Great work. it is about time someone wrote it up to make it easier.

now i just need to find a p5 that wants to trande :)

I was there while you were doing the swap, good job man. Anybody wanna swap me their MSP headlights for my P5 headlights? Hehehe, I like the black inside the headlight.

Khoi.....dude, you gotta get in touch w/ PaulMP3...I'll even help you guys out w/ the swap, since you're relatively local. He's been looking for the P5 lights for his MP3, and originally was gonna do it at the meet w/ Tony (LittleRedWagon), but Tony decided to do it w/ someone else instead. Drop Paul a PM, then let me know if you want me to help out!

Khoifather said:
I was there while you were doing the swap, good job man. Anybody wanna swap me their MSP headlights for my P5 headlights? Hehehe, I like the black inside the headlight.

If we got a few pics to go with the instructions, this would qualify for a "how to"!

Khoifather said:

Hey, I'll swap with you.

I was the one with the blue mp3 at the car park. You dont live to far, and lead foot could give us a hand.

cool, doesnt matter to me. You both live close by. Next meet, we will have to do it.

Yeah....I wish I had a digi-cam to take shots when I was doing it. If I can get ahold of one, I may still take the pics......or maybe when we do Paul's.

Kooldino said:
If we got a few pics to go with the instructions, this would qualify for a "how to"!
I'm happy to see you've got some willing donors Paul...like I said, just let me know & I'm game to help out. I'd still like to get ahold of Mike (mdagost) so that I can find out exactly which wires we used where under his hood for the MSP/MP3 headlights in the P5 before we did the swap.

i have no idea how to do this, but i am a big fan of the p5 lights, so if wanted to switch and was willing to help, i'd be down!

We had to cut out the third light on the mp3 headlights completely from the harness. We had to cut the ground wires on the p5 and splice them togehter since the p5 have 3 bulbs and the mazdaspeed only have 2. Once you match up the wiring from there your good.

I've gotta get a digi-cam or to take 35mm pics and scan them in...I was contemplating painting the chrome shousing, but after looking at several pics, I think the chrome looks better than painted out in black....at least on a black car. I think it looks better painted on the white, silver, & yellow cars because it offsets the brighter colors. To hold you over, look at a black P5 & ignore the corner markers on the bumber! LOL! :D j/k!!!!!!(crazy)
instylz said:
i wanna see pics of the headlights! :)

Ive been gettin a lot of compliments on the headlights on the car now since the swap. Im goin to the ny meet so if anyone wants to see them i will be there. Im hopeing to have the car fixed by then having a weird sound when cruisin along without foot on gas or break sounds like glass breaking back to the dealer tommorow. Ill be the one at the meet with the sick side graphics.

Next time i see you i can take some pics. You should have asked at the meet, i had my camera with me.

If i do mine, i will take plenty of pics.

Back