Removing Intake Resonator on Mazda3

can anyone give me an idea of the difference this would make on an automatic? I myself have the manual, but a coworker has auto, would HE notice the sound too? and BTW, it DOES sound GREAT!

Can't really read through 7 pages of stuff. I'm going to be taking off my bumper to put in some fogs. Is it really necessary to take off the wheel? I don't feel like going through that. I'm taking the splash guards and the bumper off can I do it then?

i just took my fog light cover off to get at the three 12mm bolts and took the three phillips at the bottom of the bumber splash gaurd to pull out the noise baffle reinstall the splash guard and your done

Pointless mod?

Okay, it would seem as though this is a worthless mod, unless more sound is what you are after. The only possible advantage performance wise might be mileage gain. Did anyone have a mileage gain?

Just did this, and I didn't even bother to jack up the car or remove the front wheel. Just crank the wheel full to the left and you'll have enough room to get everything out. FYI, get a stubby phillips screwdriver, as a long one will be difficult to get at the correct angle, especially if your car is low to the ground. The toughest part for me was getting my head under the front bumper to find that PITA 3rd bolt at the front. Once you find it, though, just keep on turning till it comes out.

The hardest part was getting the unbolted resonator out of the wheel well - it was like the car was giving birth - Messy but everything came out in the end... lol

The sound is noticeably nicer now, more bottom end tone but only when accelerating around 2000-2800 rpm. Higher than that it seems to be the same, which is good for general driving around. I recommend this as a great FREE mod you can do in half an hour in your driveway.

Also, the instructions were bang-on - thanks to the thread creators/contributors for a clear how-to.

Resonator removal and any ill effects

Hey all,

I'm pretty new and i have a question about removal of the intake resonator. Does removing it cause any issues as far as CEL and that sort of thing? My 2008 Mazda3 is still under warranty and i don't want to cause myself any problems. Any info would be nice. thanks in advance.

Resonator delete complete

Hey guys,

Thanks for the spot on instructions for the resonator delete. I read over the text and looked at someones step by step pics and went out this morning and got her out on about 20 min. thanks again.

just joined the forum and just did the resonator mod. love the sound... highway noise doesn't change which is nice and the noise it makes when you get into the gas makes me smile every time.

Okay I'm late on here and want to revive it for 2010 Mazda3's so is it possible to remove the intake resonator? I looked in the same place where it is for older 3's and it's not there.. So where would it be?? I really want to do this before my CAI gets in.

Back