Problems with ANY Mazda over 100K miles?

Syzygy

Anyone who has a Mazda for over 100K miles:

1) What problems did you have, and when did they surface?

2) How did the engine run? When did it get worse?

3) Did you have transmission problems? What type? When?

4) Did it burn oil? When?

5) When did the "nickel-and-dime" begin?

Thanks,

sy, i dont have the mx6 anymore, but it had problems with the cv boots, i had them replaced twice...also, the emergency brakes never seem to work after 100k, other than that, i had no problem outta it.

Syzygy said:

I had a 95 MX-6 LS (KL V-6) that I bought used with 55K and sold it at 145K.

1) O2 sensor failed around 115K, distributor failed around 128K, RF control arm bushing failed sometime around 120K (probably because I drove on the worst roads in Mississippi), CV boots were busted by 60K.

2) Engine was as smooth and quiet the day I bought the car as it was the day I sold it. And I drove that car pretty hard.

3) Never a one. 5 speed MTX, original clutch still was fine when I sold the car.

4) A little, maybe a quart between changes when I did 100% highway driving (3500rpms @70)

5) Power steering pump was starting to go when I sold it but everything else on the car worked fine.

99 lx, auto. not quite at 100k or over, but its nearly there, 98,xxx. o2 sensor is messed up. transmission was replaced around 60k.

got a friend in the club with a '92 323 auto. original engine and tranny. he has 180k on it and autocrosses it everytime he gets a chance. it runs more or less great and keeps up with the bunch of mp5s on the highway going 75-80mph.

Syzygy said:

Wife has a '93 DX with 110k miles.

1) CV joints at 90k miles, new front brakes calipers at 100k

2) Still going strong.

3) Made squeaking noises during shifting for a while but disappeared (automatic). Started around 95k.

4) Burns about 1/2 quart every 3000 miles.

5) not yet (knocking on wood)

-sdmp3

I had an RX-7 with over 100,000...

It ran like a charm, some of the accesories went out, like both clutch resevoirs, the AC, and the wiprer arm. No drivetrain problems what so ever.

The 1994 Protege my ex-wife has/had threw a timing belt just last week. Her fualt though, it should have been replaced at the appropriate time to avoid that. Other than that she had no real major problems. Regular maintenance items at regualr intervals and it ran like a charm.

She doesn't take care of her cars though, and so it broke. But it ran like a champ for the poor maintenance schedule.

Interestingly, she just bought a WRX to replace the Protege. How, I don't know?? She never has the money she owes me, but she can drop $27,000 on car like tis nothing.

1990 Mazda Protege LX 1.8L 5 speed
Owner from ~70,000 to ~145,000 miles.
I only owned the car 2 years. :)

Worn out Brakes--80K, $250 Rotors, pads, bearings.
Bad O2 Sensor--96K, $30
Driver's side CV joint clicking--115K, $95
Clutch slipping--112K,$140
Bad Mass Air Flow sensor--130K, Junkyard replacement from car with 50K miles, for $40. Worked perfectly.

Ran great! I did all the work on the car myself. It never went to the shop, not once!! Replaced the original spark plugs, wires, cap/rotor and timing belt at 80K.

None, New clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing at 112K, Strong as hell.

Yes, started to at ~112K, I replaced the Valve cover gasket, problem solved.

Never did really in my opinion, it was the best commuter car I have ever owned. Fun to drive, and still got ~32MPG. :)

Had my 93' LX since 88k. Now has 143k

Burns maybe 1qt per oil change now (i drive it hard). Used to never burn oil :(.

Suspension is starting to make some noises and the transmission needs a new clutch/throwoutbearing and pressure plate (its on its original).

I've replaced both axles, one at 95k and the other just a week ago. Replaced all the brakes at about 120k new rotors, pads and properly bled.

I need new engine mounts soon. It makes mad noise when i'm driving, and its starting to get worse quicker.

I haven't exactly maintained it as well as i could've, and my modifying it didn't help at all (i think i ****** up the transmission by install my short shifter, the 5th gear synchro is starting to go). I'd say its a very relialbe car overall. My friend drove his 90 LX auto until it had 220k (the transmission computer went crazy and it wouldn't shift past 2nd gear), it didn't burn oil at all and the rest of it was sound.

Syzygy said:

Thanks,
I own a Mazda mx6 lx. I have had it for about three years, I bought it wit 70,000 and it now has 150,000.
aside from normal repairs like break pads, cv joints, and belts.
I replaced the water pump about 1000 miles ago
At about 125,000 the contol module in the distributor went out.
the power seat belts suck.
and the power window controler needs replaced.
It has started to not get as good as mileage as it once did
I still like this car, I will keep it. It is very fun to drive
it goes through oil so I am going to rebuild the engine.
I do get water in trunk.
don't forget to tightenthose door handle or they will break.
Needless to say I have not been very easy on this car,such as not changing the oil as much as I should and letting it get too low.
It has been the best car I have owned.

Last edited:
2003 Protege5 manual, 103k miles as of today... (cabpatch)

a) Engine revving high during cold start-up starting 60k miles, Mazda fixed it for free at 80k miles cuz they found the TSB...
b) Rear suspension problem at 50k miles, result from an snow-related accident (see avatar), Replaced rear suspension endlinks and all swaybar mounts and bushings.

Engine currently runs like a 100k miles engine, but no oil leak. Consume a little more gas then before after 90k miles, cold-start idle climbed to 1,200rpm. Engine tends to butter as times at stoplight, but no stall-out.

Hard shifts when cold after 40k miles fluid change, turns out thte lube place put in wrong type of fluid, 80k miles fluid change with right fluid return the transmission to normal. Changed clutch at 90k miles, no problems afterwards.

No oil burn.

50k miles: Driver side wind noise increase, possible weather strips worn on driver side door.

60k miles: Spare tire well in trunk starts to accumulate water after rain, problem originated from the little well area on both sides after accident, drilled two small holes on those wells to let out excess water, problem seems to go away.

85k miles: Stock 6-CD radio starts to skip at times, still skips sometimes but it's not too bad.

90k miles: 1 Climate control light goes in and out, punching solve the problem.

Normal wear and tear on normal items: Tires, brakes, suspension, lights, drive belts, timing belts, clutch, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary. All inspected, changed appropriately.

Hehe, this is my car report. Hope this helps. (cabpatch)

Syzygy said:

Thanks,

1. Outside of "scheduled maintence": 130k oil sending unit; 135k cv joints; 170k oxygen sensor, gauge cluster; 175k fuel filter

2. Less power than when I first got it. Burns no oil and runs good.

3. None. My clutch is getting "mushy" though.

4. No.

5. I consider my car to have had average problems considering it's age and miles. A shitload better than my old sunfire (barf). Oh btw this is a 95 626 I4 MT with almost 180k.

my z5 died at 180,000 miles from compression loss. no problem aside from that and the EGR bulls***. Drove the hell out of it too.

Back