Creaking noise from driveline

Masshole

:
2002.5 Protege5
Lately i've noticed a creaking noise coming from my driveline.
So far I've checked out the CV joints and they are in tact, and show no signs of grease leakage.
I suspect it may be my motor mounts. I had my first set of mounts replaced under warranty about 3 months ago by the dealer.
I've given in and purchased the AWR Urethane Motor Mounts from Cork Sport, and will be installing them next week. At the very least this will resolve some of the clutch shudder and wheelhop issues i've experienced, and hopefully will also resolve the creaking noise.

has anyone else run into this issue?

I had this same problem, drove me nuts. Odd creaking, checked out everything, and still couldn't figure out what it was.

The cause: loose lug nuts. Go check 'em.
Did you recently rotate your tires?

Pretzellogic said:
I had this same problem, drove me nuts. Odd creaking, checked out everything, and still couldn't figure out what it was.

The cause: loose lug nuts. Go check 'em.
Did you recently rotate your tires?

nope, wasn't lug nuts. i just got a new set of tires, wheels got torqued down correctly, and the noise is still happening.

i'm trying to convince my dealership to install my urethane mounts under warranty, but i don't know how much luck i will have with that. engine mounts are just something i'd prefer not to deal with if i dont have to.

Mxyzptlk said:
I think I might be hearing the same thing. Did you hear this before dealer replaced mounts?

no, the creaking only happened about a month after the dealer replaced my mounts

I have somewhat of a knock when i accelorate and its seems like its coming from the trans. would this be the craking you hear/?

I just heard a similar problem the other day. I know it's somewhere in the exhaust though..just under the front seats...

my trans went on my p5 with 11,000 miles on it. went to the dealership and they replaced now im having a noise still coming from it and acceleration on the car is terrible.

FIX:

I had this same issue. Took it to the dealer. They tightened (just tightened) the motor mounts, specifically the trans mount, and the noise is gone. Apparently when the trans mount was loose, it was allowing some sort of movement that involved the creak/squeaking....

At least this worked for me.

I have the same problem with my car right now (quiet creeking/grinding noise coming from ?? and I can feel it in the steering wheel) . I took it to the shop yesterday and they couldn't find anything, checked CV's, wheel bearings, etc... I only notice it at low speeds(15-40 MPH). What got rid of your problems? I took it to the tranny shop today and they can't find anything. I can hear it, I guess I'm the only one though!!!!

vyse12012 said:
are the AWR front motor expensive and are hard to change ?

do I gain something by changing them ?

it is like around $80 shipped new and is pretty easy to change.....causes vibrations while car is idling but takes care of 80% of drivetrain slop and wheel-hop......

Got a call from the tranny shop today and they can't find anything. I

've been checking some of the other threads and someone said that it could be a warped wheel hub due to over tightening the lug nuts. I'm not sure if that's the culprit in my case, but I'm gonna keep driving it until it gets worse. I'll post again when I finally have to replace something. Thanks for the inputs!

Back