$46 dealer oil change WTF ????

MarkSpecV/M3S

:
04' Mazda 3 S / Nissan SE-R Spec V
So I was going to do an oil change on her car and the 04 Mazda 3 S or any Mazda 3 isn't listed in any books at the automotive store..so I was like , just take it to the dealer for 1st oil change ( thinking $20-$30 tops ) She told me $46 dollars !!! Insane huh? So did everyone just buy oil filter from dealer??

My brother works for Land Rover and they charge $80 !!!! He was like $46 is nothing....

Just thought I would share !!

Also some o-ring they charged and $14 labor = JUNK !!

I work for a mazda dealer in the parts dept and the 3s takes a internal oil filter and a large o-ring that goes inside the cap that seals the oil inside. The 46 dollars was kinda high though for an oil change unless they used synthetic fluids.

Where do you live, I'll change it for $45.00 HAHA I'll even fill your washer fluid too.

I don't know how bad it is to change. But I am soooo glad I work in a dealership because a lift makes it so much easier. My P5's filter is up over the axle, I have to stick half my arm up there to get it.
I hope you're not talking about the drain plug gasket. 14.00 The dealer gives me a gasket for free.

Here's an idea, have your brother do it. give him the oil and filter, and maybe buy him a coffee!

2k2silvermp5 said:
I work for a mazda dealer in the parts dept and the 3s takes a internal oil filter and a large o-ring that goes inside the cap that seals the oil inside. The 46 dollars was kinda high though for an oil change unless they used synthetic fluids.
So if you decide to do it yourself you would probaly have to buy the tool too.

IRISH22 said:
Where do you live, I'll change it for $45.00 HAHA I'll even fill your washer fluid too.

I don't know how bad it is to change. But I am soooo glad I work in a dealership because a lift makes it so much easier. My P5's filter is up over the axle, I have to stick half my arm up there to get it.
I hope you're not talking about the drain plug gasket. 14.00 The dealer gives me a gasket for free.

Here's an idea, have your brother do it. give him the oil and filter, and maybe buy him a coffee!
No the drain plug gaskets are only like a buck twenty. The oring he is talking about is the one that goes on the cap that covers up the block were the internal filter is put.

They charged me 27.00. Still too high. I can't get the filter anywhere. We should all complain to Mazda and make the convert it to a screw on. They made a simple thing into something harder

I ordered the filters from www.mazdapartstore.com. If you spend $50 or more it's free shipping. 7 filter kits cost me $57 total. That's a little over $8 each for the filter and all the associated o-rings. My local dealer wanted $7 just for the filter. They wanted to charge nearly $70 for 5 filters and o-rings with tax. Screw em... Someone here mentioned they found them for about $5 each. I can't find the post....

kvk said:
They charged me 27.00. Still too high. I can't get the filter anywhere. We should all complain to Mazda and make the convert it to a screw on. They made a simple thing into something harder
The 4cylinder Mazda 6 also uses the same filter too.

That would bother me if I were back in Massachusetts doing an 85 mile daily commute. But since I moved and started doing 30 miles daily and going through an oil change once every 3 months, $46 wouldn't bother me a bit.

Yeah, considering you can do it for about $25 (with Mobil1 !!) yourself, $48 shouldn't bother you.

I changed mine at 1000 miles. The o-ring didn't require replacement (I bought one just in case) and the filter was $5.56 from the dealer. Add in four and a half quarts of Motorcraft 5W20 Synth Blend (factory specified) at $1.99 each and my oil change cost me a grand total of $14.52 plus tax.

I have no complaints but a spin-on filter would be MUCH easier to deal with. I wonder what the rationale was behind that decision.

Somebody said the Protege oil filter housing will swap right onto the 2.3L. Anybody try this yet? Anybody have a blown Pro motor willing to donate parts??

When I was, sadly, driving my new Cavalier, the Chevy dealership tried to hold me hostage on the warranty... said that because i did my own oil changes that I couldn't get the (unrelated) warranty work done..

Are Mazda dealerships pretty good with this? Will they say I'm not qualified and void the warranty?

What does the service schedule look like, anyways? Does anyone have details on what inpsections need to be done?

Oil Filter'

So is this a definant lift job? Or can you get access ok using jacks/jackstands? I just heard it isn't the normal screw in filter and she was due' so went to dealer. I have done all other cars myself in past, but never had a car w/ a non-screw in filter.

Let me know how easy/hard it is', also where is it?? I haven't been under the 3 yet'

Thanks;'

2k2silvermp5 said:
The 4cylinder Mazda 6 also uses the same filter too.
yep..thay charge that cause the car is new and they tell you if you take it to pepboys someone will throw away the cartridge(SP?) and somehow slap a fram on and seriously **** up your world (screwy) and then you pay thinking you just saved your car.

Da 6 said:
yep..thay charge that cause the car is new and they tell you if you take it to pepboys someone will throw away the cartridge(SP?) and somehow slap a fram on and seriously **** up your world (screwy) and then you pay thinking you just saved your car.
Well I say that becaus ethe 6i and 3s both use the same filter and o-ring, but no aftermarket company has yet to make one. We have small garages calling us all the time to get these filters so they can do oil changes for their customers.

MarkSpecV/M3S said:
So is this a definant lift job? Or can you get access ok using jacks/jackstands? I just heard it isn't the normal screw in filter and she was due' so went to dealer. I have done all other cars myself in past, but never had a car w/ a non-screw in filter.

Let me know how easy/hard it is', also where is it?? I haven't been under the 3 yet'

Thanks;'

It's not difficult. You have to remove a big splash shield but other than that, it's pretty straightforward.

Where exactly is the oil filter located?

where exactly is the oil filter located, and how does one go about removing this type of filter? Is it like a snap on kind of thing? I'm used to changing out the screw on filters for all my friends' and my car as well. My car is a b**** to work on, not only is the oil filter located right above the passenger drive axle but the oil pan is directly in the way and the front anti-roll bar going through the middle. God I dread getting under that car and contorting my arm and getting knicks and scrapes just to change the frickin' oil :mad:

Back