Paint headlights white?

FlannelBoy711

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
ive seen the black, and i just saw red, how do you think white painted headlight housing on a white PR5 would work, if anyone could try maybe take the headlight shot from my car
437984_14.jpg

A couple of people have painted their headlights body colour and it looks pretty good. I think I have seen yellow and red. White would probably look really nice and clean but as pfizzle said, you can always repaint them black or whatever.

There's one guy on the forums from Hawaii, in the M-Spec crew, "Niko" he has a white P5, with white painted headlights....and let me tell you this, it looks sooooo PIMP. He makes me want to paint mine white now.

This is just meerly a question. No flames intended. Just curious. Isn't the whole Idea of headlights to see clearly ahead of you? I am sure painted headlights look awesome, just questioning the practice?
Don't you think it would diminish headlight performance. I mean I have heared of painting taillights and they look good. Anyways I guess I would have to see it to have an opinion. Just wondering. Maybe it's because I am almost blind without my contacts, and need every possible bit of light to go through the lenses. Anyways hit me back.

Later,

Bart

Protege Tuner said:
This is just meerly a question. No flames intended. Just curious. Isn't the whole Idea of headlights to see clearly ahead of you? I am sure painted headlights look awesome, just questioning the practice?
Don't you think it would diminish headlight performance. I mean I have heared of painting taillights and they look good. Anyways I guess I would have to see it to have an opinion. Just wondering. Maybe it's because I am almost blind without my contacts, and need every possible bit of light to go through the lenses. Anyways hit me back.
Later,
Bart
while there is a possibility of it diminishing the output, you have to understand that the headlight housing is a seperate piece from the cone-shaped reflector that actually projects the light forward. that part of the headlight is usually left alone so it effect this might actually be better as far as not having light bouncing all over the place. this look is stock on canadian and japanese models (not sure where else) so its actually a Mazda design that they modded to come to the US. anyways, I plan on doing it black on mine, but I think the white on white could look very nice :D

you won't diminish light output because the silver reflectors are untouched. the only thing painted is the chrome housing underneath the clear plastic lens.

white headlightz

I just bought a white p5 and im wonderin what it would look like with matched painted white headlightz 2. Any1 have a real pic of this mod or do u shorebroke know of a pic that has niko's mod on his ride? any real pics would be greatly appreciated. thanx

Protege Tuner said:

Later,

Bart
Also, the P5s in Canada come with painted headlight housings I believe.. so there are no worries here.(cheers2)

I appreciate Shorebroke. along the same line, there is a red p5 owned by kaho8930 that has red headlight housings that look like the housings of the taillights, a "red chrome" look. It doesnt look like he sanded down the chrome finish to paint primer on before painting them red. Is there such a paint that will stick to the chrome finish like that? Or can you buy the headlights like that? Hes not responding to me to let me know. I want this exact look. Any1 have an idea of how he did this?

http://www.cardomain.com/id/kaho8930

Back