How are dealers handling brakes/airbag light/engine code?

eting_pro5

:
'03 Pro5
Hey guys, I have a friend who is looking into buying a Mazda3 within a few months. I'm aware of the few minor issues that are "normal" for a first year car, but I'm curious to see how everyone's dealers have responded to these issues.

The air bag light:
This is apparently caused by a bad sensor. Has anyone's sensor actually been replaced by the dealer? Did they charge you? Has the issue ceased since the repair?

The check engine light due to a temperature code in cold climates:
Is there any repair available for this? What exactly is the issue? How have dealers reacted/repaired this?

The brake issues:
Both rear brake dust and grooves in the rotor. This is the biggest issue as it concerns safety. Is there any sign of a TSB/ fix from dealers? I've heard the rear brake dust is from bad pads, has anyone's dealer replaced these for free? As for the grooving, what are the dealer reactions to this?

Thanks for all of your help

I had the CEL problem occur with my car. I took it in just before the service department closed and had them read the codes. They said that the coolant temperature sensor was inaccurately reading a temperature that wasn't within normal operating temperatures. They said that everything was fine and that they would call me as soon as a fix (new software version) was available. A couple of days later they called and asked me to bring it in as soon as I wanted at my convenience. No charge to me.

My dad just had the driver's air bag sensor go last week. The dealer told him to bring it in as soon as possible. They arranged a rental car for him and told him that it should take about a couple of weeks because the parts are on back order and are currently "on a boat from Japan". The rental is no charge as well as the repair.

I had a similar problem with severely grooving brakes on my previous car, a Toyota RAV4. They were aware of the problem and, since it was still under warranty at the time, they replaced both front rotors and pads free of charge. TSB or not, dealers know that grooving is a bad thing, some dealers may resurface the rotors and hope the problem would go away, but as of right now there aren't any TSB regarding grooved rotors.

The only brake related TSB that I'm aware of is the "sqeaking brakes when weather is cold" TSB. Apparently, the TSB covers 3s built with certain VINs. The fix is a new caliper mounting system that is used in newly built 3s. This may seem weird to me because I've always known brakes to squeak in cold weather, as soon as the pads and rotors heat up the squeaking is gone.
http://www.mazda3forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=4407

I got my car in early March. car date was dec/03 nevere had one of these problems

my crash sensor went bad. I took it in on Monday and it is thursday. I am expecting my car back today or tommarow. The check engine light also came on so they are taking car of that as well. I don't have to pay anything, or I better not. If they try making me pay then they will keep the car and I will be contacted a lawyer. I am not ******* around with any shadiness. Car only has 2200 miles on it. Hopefully everything goes ok.

Check Engine Light came on 1sr day

I got my car on Sunday (4/3) and the check engine light came on that night. Now, the driver side window wont roll all the ay down when you click it down for "auto." Man, I didn't even make it a week without something going wrong. I swear I have crap car karma.

As it stands the only ones with these problems are the cars like mine with a build date of 10/03. The newer ones have the new crash sensor already replaced, as well as the ECU flashed for the newest version to prevent the cel caused by the temp sensor, also the brakes have been replaced in the rear because of the excessive dust on vehicles with a build date after 12/03. So basically if you find one with the October build date wich is unlikely this late in the year it may have the problems listed above but if it is at a reputable dealer they may have already fixed it, now if you get one with a December which is also unlikely the only proble mso far is the rear brake pads are going to have alot dust like but this is very close to being a TSB replacement so keep an eye out for it. That is the only things I can think of right now. Really thought chances on finding a 3 with those 2 build dates anymore is kinda hard to do.

Actually, here's the deal:

Airbag crash sensor - factory now putting in new version sensors (not sure of exact changeover date but even some Jan '04 vehicles still have the old one). Mine's a Jan 30 build, and if I get it I'll let everyone know. Dealerships have the new sensor so if the light comes one they'll change it

Brakes - factory now putting on rear pads of different composition to reduce brake dust (and probably reduce the grooving). Changeover happened in mid-March (not sure of exact date)

CEL software fix - factory now installing higher version of software. Changeover date was Feb 2. There is a TSB on this, so those before Feb 2 build dates (like me), can get their software updated at their dealerships (I asked my dealership to update the software before I took delivery of the vehicle)

wongpres said:
Actually, here's the deal:

Airbag crash sensor - factory now putting in new version sensors (not sure of exact changeover date but even some Jan '04 vehicles still have the old one). Mine's a Jan 30 build, and if I get it I'll let everyone know. Dealerships have the new sensor so if the light comes one they'll change it

Brakes - factory now putting on rear pads of different composition to reduce brake dust (and probably reduce the grooving). Changeover happened in mid-March (not sure of exact date)

CEL software fix - factory now installing higher version of software. Changeover date was Feb 2. There is a TSB on this, so those before Feb 2 build dates (like me), can get their software updated at their dealerships (I asked my dealership to update the software before I took delivery of the vehicle)

CEL software update?

whats that?

Jpasta said:
CEL software update?

whats that?
On the earlier versions of the software, a PCM calibration error would trigger a CEL light with the code P0128: Thermostat stuck open. This is corrected with version WDS 29.2 or later (which dealers have now, they're in the 30.X versions now).

While the TSB says to perform the PCM software flash on all cars in inventory and that come in for service, but let's be honest, they're not gonna do it (they only do these things for stop sales issues). Also some people are saying that their dealer won't flash it until they get the CEL light. My dealership was nice enough for me to flash my PCM before I took delivery.

My build date: 12/03

Airbag Light: Yep, Dealer replaced sensor at no cost and provided a free loaner for three days.

Brake dust: Yep. Severe dust on rear. Black wheels in about two weeks' time.

Brake Grooves: Nope. Mine are wearing cleanly and evenly

CEL: Nope.

Wongpres, any idea if they're going to put out a TSB for the brake pads?

goldwing2000 said:
My build date: 12/03

Airbag Light: Yep, Dealer replaced sensor at no cost and provided a free loaner for three days.

Brake dust: Yep. Severe dust on rear. Black wheels in about two weeks' time.

Brake Grooves: Nope. Mine are wearing cleanly and evenly

CEL: Nope.

Wongpres, any idea if they're going to put out a TSB for the brake pads?
No official stance from MazdaUSA as to whether or not there will be a TSB for the brake pads. It's still a bit early and they're probably going to see how the new pads do before issuing a TSB.

There is however, a brake TSB out for VIN's lower than 33301 (basically if your last 5 digits are lower than that number) for squeaky front brakes when cold. For this TSB, they will replace front brake caliper brake support assemblies with a modified one. To my knowledge, this TSB has not been issued for Canada yet (but I could be wrong on that).

wongpres said:
No official stance from MazdaUSA as to whether or not there will be a TSB for the brake pads. It's still a bit early and they're probably going to see how the new pads do before issuing a TSB.

There is however, a brake TSB out for VIN's lower than 33301 (basically if your last 5 digits are lower than that number) for squeaky front brakes when cold. For this TSB, they will replace front brake caliper brake support assemblies with a modified one. To my knowledge, this TSB has not been issued for Canada yet (but I could be wrong on that).

Hmmm... the last 6 of my VIN is 127826 but I didn't notice any squeaking. Maybe next winter.

Determining build date

what is the easiest way to determine the build date of a car?

is it documented somewhere on the car or just a VIN range?

PeteyBoy3K said:
what is the easiest way to determine the build date of a car?

is it documented somewhere on the car or just a VIN range?

It's on a sticker inside the driver's door jamb.

wongpres said:

Just to bring this thread back to the top, I brought in a copy of the TSB regarding the squealing brakes (printed from here) to my Toronto Mazda dealer and they've ordered the parts to fix the problem. So, yes, the Canadian Mazda dealers are be aware of this TSB.

Back