Wierd clearance issues with coil-overs...

Ok, so tonight I notice that the right rear is pulled in the wheel well a little more than the left rear. I went over some rail road track this evening and suddenly a wierd noise emits from the right rear wheel well.

Get home and find the problem. The right rear tire is rubbing the shock/ coil over for some reason. The left rear has a nice gap, plenty of clearance, they right rear however, touches. And it is worse when the suspension is compressed.

This is with JIC FLT-A1 and the stock MP3 wheels...Any ideas as to why there is no clearance on the right and plenty of room on the left?

It is as if the right rear simply doesn't sit out far enough fromt he hub, or for some reason, the wheel is wider? I'm confused and angry.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oky doky, all fixed.

The top bolt out of the two that mount the bottom end of the shock had moved, some how.

For some odd reason, JIC designed the top bolt as an elongated hole, rather than a round one. So, even though the bolts were tight as tight could be, it shifted. The cadmium plating was scratched on both sides by the bolt head and nut on the other side.

Loosened both top and bottom bolts, shimmied the little bugger back and voila, all is well again.

Now, I need to figure out how to get some sort of shimming device in there to prevent this from happeneing again over time. Even though everything is tightened up, it might move on me again over the next few weeks/months.

I'll be a lot easier over larger bumps that I used to slow down for, but now I' guess I need to drive like grand ma for them.

I had the same problem after my install, I ended up getting camber bolts, but I didn't have slotted upper holes. If you have access to it, hit them with an impact wrench. That's what I did and they haven't moved since. If that still doesn't work, try knurling the washer and/or the mounting bracket. I've heard that works, too.

thewrench said:
I had the same problem after my install, I ended up getting camber bolts, but I didn't have slotted upper holes. If you have access to it, hit them with an impact wrench. That's what I did and they haven't moved since. If that still doesn't work, try knurling the washer and/or the mounting bracket. I've heard that works, too.
Ok cool. The thing is though, they were hit with the impact wrench when originally installed.(boom06)

I'm guessing I hit a few too many bumps hard enough to up set the whole suspension int he rear, and the rightside gave out first. The elft looks and feels fine.

I'm thinking of getting a 17x7" wheel in a +45 offset to help fix any future clearance issues.

That'll definitely help, I went from 7.5" Subzeroes to the 7" Enkeis I have now. I looked for the pic of my grooved tire, but couldn't find it (I bet Rishie would like to forget it, lol) I can't remember where I read it, but someone was having slipping issues and they scored the washer somehow, so it dug into the strut and that solved it for them. I've got a really neat camber kit from K-mac, but I haven't installed it yet, and I don't think it would work for you because of the slotted holes. I also had a desparation idea that was to put a washer on there, get it in position and then spot weld the washer to the strut.

Hope I helped.

Wow, built in camber adjustment. Nice. You might be able to use some loctite on the bolt to keep it from loosening up.

I had the same problem with my sedan when I had JIC's. Just use a simple lockwasher on each slotted bolt hole and hit it with a impact wrench.

BlueMP5Dave said:
I had the same problem with my sedan when I had JIC's. Just use a simple lockwasher on each slotted bolt hole and hit it with a impact wrench.
That might be my next choice if it doesn't sit right this time.

Thanks for all of the help guys.

Back