CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 396

Thread: ** Spring Buyer's Guide **

  1. #46
    Registered Member iON Performance's Avatar
    Potential Scammer!


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    797
    Black Majik MSP - Any aftermarket spring used on the MSP will eventually wear out the stock struts/shocks. We recommend changing them out at the same time to decrease the cost of labor and the time required. You'll see about a 10% quicker reduction in life of the stock Tokicos compared to your stockers.

  2. #47
    mx3ownzj00 low_psi's Avatar
    Donated: $10

    ms|slowtege #399

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    7,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Majik MSP
    F&R progressive springs are no good for auto-x

    What are my options? The only thing I can come up with is to get GCs & do my best to avoid every fault in the road.
    Please explain why progressive rate front&rear springs are bad for autoX...

    Your requirements are flawed. You can't increase performance(higher rates) and still maintain a smooth ride. Stiff spring rates = bad ride quality. Your only spring option that allows you to dodge this is a progressive rate spring.

    I suggest looking into the Illuminas as a replacement strut instead of buying springs. You'll be able to stiffen up the car for events, and soften it back to stock for daily driving. That doesn't fit into your appearance category though.

    See the conundrum you're in?

    vindication- you could email/PM terry about the spring rates. Call some local race shops and ask them if they can test them.



  3. #48
    Turbo Addict Black Majik MSP's Avatar
    Donated: $30

    2003.5 Titanium Gray MSP #1699

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Weston, FL
    Posts
    4,133
    iON - What does 10% quicker equate to? Could I get by with not doing it for 6 months or even a year (car is just under 14k miles)?

    mx3 - I know you can't have handling AND ride quality, but I was just hesitant to get the GCs because I've heard they have terrible ride quality. I've heard from several people that progressive springs aren't good for auto-x & that linear was the way to go.

  4. #49
    mx3ownzj00 low_psi's Avatar
    Donated: $10

    ms|slowtege #399

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    7,106
    The preference between progressive and linear rates is an individual choice. Much of it depends on driving style. If possible, I'd try to test drive a MSP w/ progressive springs and see if it meets your needs. Maybe your a linear spring man though.

    If you're really serious about getting springs for AutoX, you can't go wrong with the GC's. Your struts will last quite some time with the new springs, it will be down the line that they'll need replacing.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  5. #50
    Turbo Addict Black Majik MSP's Avatar
    Donated: $30

    2003.5 Titanium Gray MSP #1699

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Weston, FL
    Posts
    4,133
    OK, I think I'm either gonna get iON's race springs or some GCs if someone sells theirs.

  6. #51
    Red-Eyed MSP goku4658's Avatar

    2003.5 MSP

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    1,696
    ok mx3ownzjoo, yet another question...i was all set to order the eibach pro's for my msp...but got tempted to consider the tein s-tech springs and the falken gravity sport springs cuz of the greater front drop....what are your opinions between these 3? been a great help so far, thanks!!

    -jon
    Last edited by goku4658; 04-21-2004 at 11:34 PM.
    worst sig ever...

  7. #52
    #786 BlueWolfCry's Avatar

    02 LX, 03 MSP

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Twincities, Minnesota
    Posts
    2,262
    very nice mx3ownzjoo, this will help me greatly on deciding on my springs

    iON Performance how much are your springs? race and sport, what the differences of these two other than the rates? thanks
    Last edited by BlueWolfCry; 04-21-2004 at 11:30 PM.


  8. #53
    Turbo Addict Black Majik MSP's Avatar
    Donated: $30

    2003.5 Titanium Gray MSP #1699

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Weston, FL
    Posts
    4,133
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWolfCry
    iON Performance how much are your springs? race and sport, what the differences of these two other than the rates? thanks
    Sport: F&R - 1.18"
    Race: F - 1.97" R - 2.36"

    Besides the rates, that's the difference that I see & it's HUGE.

  9. #54
    Turbo Addict Black Majik MSP's Avatar
    Donated: $30

    2003.5 Titanium Gray MSP #1699

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Weston, FL
    Posts
    4,133
    Here are pics of Brad's car for anyone else considering the iON race:

    http://www.mazdamp3.com/members/bore...de%20view1.jpg
    http://www.mazdamp3.com/members/bore...de%20view2.jpg

  10. #55
    #786 BlueWolfCry's Avatar

    02 LX, 03 MSP

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Twincities, Minnesota
    Posts
    2,262
    thanks Black Majik MSP, i just might be considering these. its either this or s techs. do you know how much the ion race springs are?

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Majik MSP
    Here are pics of Brad's car for anyone else considering the iON race:


    http://www.mazdamp3.com/members/bore...de%20view1.jpg
    http://www.mazdamp3.com/members/bore...de%20view2.jpg
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  11. #56
    Red-Eyed MSP goku4658's Avatar

    2003.5 MSP

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    1,696
    according to apex motorsports page here :
    http://www.apexr1.com/testesp.html
    you have the drops listed for the front and rear in the first post are reversed...
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  12. #57
    Registered Member iON Performance's Avatar
    Potential Scammer!


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    797
    Black Majik MSP - The 10% faster wear totally depends on driving style etc. Generally if it's just average street/highway the stock struts should last at least 50K miles. Given that, you'll have an approximate 10% reduction in life.

    Also, just to clarify something, those height drops are rated against the stock ES Sedan. There are no sport spec for the MSP only for the P5, the race spec will drop the MSP ~1.65" front and ~0.8" rear. However you can see how it evens things out.

    BlueWolfCry - we're currently awaiting our next batch of MSP race spec springs to be completed. The member discounted price for the springs is $249US +shipping (payment via MO). The Sport Spec springs on a P5 or ES would give them similar handling to the MSP, however an MSP equipped with the race spec springs, the car at the limit will handle similar to an ITR (ie: it will oversteer @ the limit).

  13. #58
    #786 BlueWolfCry's Avatar

    02 LX, 03 MSP

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Twincities, Minnesota
    Posts
    2,262
    ok, just for the clear up, (1)both race and sport springs are $249 + shipping? and (2) so will the race springs fit my LX?. thank you iON



    Quote Originally Posted by iON Performance
    Black Majik MSP - The 10% faster wear totally depends on driving style etc. Generally if it's just average street/highway the stock struts should last at least 50K miles. Given that, you'll have an approximate 10% reduction in life.

    Also, just to clarify something, those height drops are rated against the stock ES Sedan. There are no sport spec for the MSP only for the P5, the race spec will drop the MSP ~1.65" front and ~0.8" rear. However you can see how it evens things out.

    BlueWolfCry - we're currently awaiting our next batch of MSP race spec springs to be completed. The member discounted price for the springs is $249US +shipping (payment via MO). The Sport Spec springs on a P5 or ES would give them similar handling to the MSP, however an MSP equipped with the race spec springs, the car at the limit will handle similar to an ITR (ie: it will oversteer @ the limit).
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  14. #59
    Registered Member iON Performance's Avatar
    Potential Scammer!


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    797
    BlueWolfCry - The sport spec springs are slightly cheaper then the race spec (both @ MSRP & w/ the member discount). We've got 2 sets left that we found in our warehouse (sport specs). The race spec will physically fit, however your struts will be blown out very quickly due to the fact the LX suspension doesn't have the Tokicos for stockers.

    Of the two spring set-ups, we'd recommend the Sport Spec, as it'll give you a drop close to 1.3" F&R. The sport specs are $224US + shipping

  15. #60
    #786 BlueWolfCry's Avatar

    02 LX, 03 MSP

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Twincities, Minnesota
    Posts
    2,262
    thank you iON, i think i'll be going with your springs. i shall pm you in june when i also order the tokico hps. one last question, im assuming the race springs are more performance fit than the sport springs, so why would you recommend the sport springs over the race springs?

    Quote Originally Posted by iON Performance
    BlueWolfCry - The sport spec springs are slightly cheaper then the race spec (both @ MSRP & w/ the member discount). We've got 2 sets left that we found in our warehouse (sport specs). The race spec will physically fit, however your struts will be blown out very quickly due to the fact the LX suspension doesn't have the Tokicos for stockers.

    Of the two spring set-ups, we'd recommend the Sport Spec, as it'll give you a drop close to 1.3" F&R. The sport specs are $224US + shipping
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. BUYER'S GUIDE: SRT-4 VS MSP.
    By AustinG in forum Mazdaspeed Protege
    Replies: 302
    Last Post: 06-20-2004, 10:48 PM
  2. how do i lower a p5 with out losing handeling
    By mp5drift in forum Mazda Protege
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 01:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •