** Spring Buyer's Guide **

low_psi

Contributor
:
ms|slowtege #399
-Updated August 8th 2006-

This thread was created as a guide for the 3rd Generation Proteg Community. Enjoy and feel free to PM or eMail me with questions/comments/suggestions/complaints.

Spring_Rates_Rev2.jpg

*The Mazdaspeed Protg springs are manufactured by Racing Beat. The Mazdaspeed Protg spring rates are slightly revised (stiffer) than the MP3’s due to additional shock valving and a larger front sway bar(?).

Springs such as B&G, Goldline, Sprint, Progress Group, Tanabe, Evotion, Falken and Intrax, as well as coil-sleeves such as Skunk2 and Tom Motorsports should be considered "appearance springs" as the spring rates will not be performance oriented but allow for a fashionable drop height. Cornering performance will improve in most cases, but not nearly as much as the other springs offered.

What’s the difference between linear and progressive springs?

-Linear spring rates support a constant amount of force at all times regardless of how tightly compressed they become. ie. Tein S-Tech’s provide 179 lbs/in of support up front during normal driving conditions and during hard cornering.

Linear springs tend to be more predictable during hard cornering, but can administer a jarring ride during normal conditions.

-Progressive spring rates are able to support a varied force at different tensions as the coil compress. ie. During normal driving the Eibach Pro-Kit allows a softer 147 lbs/in up front to allow smoother dampening during normal driving, but when pushed to the limits (coils become compressed) they support a much stiffer applied force.

Progressive springs tend to be less predictable than linear springs in situations such as corner exit, but allow softer daily driving.

Due to the characteristic of different struts and suspension components, listed drop heights will not be exact per each application. MP3 & MSP owners will need to subtract ~0.75" from the listed drop height, for a more correct estimate.

What’s the difference between coil-sleeves and coilovers?

-Coil-sleeves act solely as springs that allow the bottom spring perch to be adjusted up and down. As the perch is adjusted, ride height is altered.

-Coilovers consist of a spring and strut assembly. Both the springs and struts are adjustable to provide a lower ride height, without compromising the spring rate, and a custom dampening setting. Some entry level coilovers do not allow for shock dampening.

AutoEXE manufactures both springs and coilovers for the BJ-chassis Protg, but require importing them from Japan and substantial information cannot be found regarding their spring rates.

SPOOL brand springs provide a 2" F&R drop. Spring rates are lost in the great abyss.

H&R spring rates are a general percentage which they claim as stiffer than the stock Protege springs. These are by no means official or correct rates. The percentage can be found on their website

Last edited by a moderator:
that is good info alright. i have put 5 different types of springs on my p5 trying to find the right height and ride i was looking for. i have finally found the ones I like the best, but this would have helped out in the search. I am sure this will help a bunch of folks thinking about springs. good job(2thumbs)

linear in front and progressive in back. ion mixes their spring design up because they say that it's the best combination they have found for performance.

thanks guys! yes, the iON springs utilize linear springs up front and progressive in the rear so that the rear is able to allow a comfortable daily drive. but under race conditions the rear won't drag around; it will freely follow the front. can we make this a sticky?

damnit, I used to have the Ground control spring rates... maybe I can find them again....

awesome, i thought it was ~300/270 but i couldn't find it. please PM with the rates if you find them.

Interesting, mx3ownzj00

I would like to drop my P5 but I find that with the 17"'s the ride is a bit on the harsh side on rough roads. What would you recommend.

I noticed that you don;t have the Racing Beat springs listed. I know that they are not a coil over but how woul dthey compare?

Thanks

Well I don't believe Racing Beat makes a spring specific to the Protege5. The Mazdaspeed springs listed however are the sedan Racing Beat springs. I will add that note to the chart ASAP. The Racing Beat springs are great if you don't want springs too stiff, but still want increased performance. I'd rather have more of a drop and a lower center of gravity though.

Because of this I personally love the Eibach Pro-Kit. I had a pair on the DX I drove and they were perfect for autoXing but still allowed a comfortable ride. Even at the limits of racing, the stock struts were almost always able to dampen effectively. My friend has replaced his MSP's Racing Beat springs w/ the Pro-Kit aswell and he loves the feel as do I as a passenger.

Another option if you'd like to keep a nice mix of comfort and performance would be the iON Performance Sport springs. They will behave similar to the Pro-Kit.

You're probably not looking to spend the $900-1700 for a set of full coilovers, but they would allow you to run a stiffer spring rate while allowing different levels of dampening to create a smooth commute and excellent track performance at the turn of a knob.

One option to increase comfort with your 17's would be to run a 45-series tire as opposed to a 35 or 40-series in order to have increased absorbtion from the tire sidewalls.

Last edited:
so if i understand this right -- if i put eibachs on -- i should probly get a smoother ride than stock -- since eibach uses a progressive spring, instead of linear like the stock one --

No, the Eibachs will be stiffer than stock. Compare the stock rates, to the Eibach's softest rate and you'll see the difference. If you're looking for just a nice drop and don't require the increased spring rate for performance, B&G or Goldlines may be your best bet as they will be the least harsh.

i know the car handles well -- but all i want is a 2.5 to 3inch drop with out the track orientated feel -- its a daily driver -- i only bought it for the looks -- the room it had for my stereo -- and the good gas mileage --
the words stiff, feel, ride quality vary soooo much from person to person -- but reading stuff like this really helps alot -- everyone i have talked to has been helpfull but i yet to decide on a kit --
how well is this http://www.mmrusa.com/bgcoils.htm
coilover with a softer spring for comfort -- but stiffer springs on top to handle the bigger stuff ??

any other ideas would be great :)

mx3ownzj00 said:
No, the Eibachs will be stiffer than stock. Compare the stock rates, to the Eibach's softest rate and you'll see the difference. If you're looking for just a nice drop and don't require the increased spring rate for performance, B&G or Goldlines may be your best bet as they will be the least harsh.
would the eibach pro's be stiffer than the stock MSP setup?

Any info on the Goldlines or B&G. Im looking for a decent drop with the most stock-like ride. Purely looks(no flames please) Ive had too many bad experiences with harsh-riding springs. I have another car to race, I just wanna make the P5 look nice, but dont have the flow for full coilovers right now.

mx3ownzj00 said:
Well I don't believe Racing Beat makes a spring specific to the Protege5. The Mazdaspeed springs listed however are the sedan Racing Beat springs. I will add that note to the chart ASAP. The Racing Beat springs are great if you don't want springs too stiff, but still want increased performance. I'd rather have more of a drop and a lower center of gravity though.

Because of this I personally love the Eibach Pro-Kit. I had a pair on the DX I drove and they were perfect for autoXing but still allowed a comfortable ride. Even at the limits of racing, the stock struts were almost always able to dampen effectively. My friend has replaced his MSP's Racing Beat springs w/ the Pro-Kit aswell and he loves the feel as do I as a passenger.

Another option if you'd like to keep a nice mix of comfort and performance would be the iON Performance Sport springs. They will behave similar to the Pro-Kit.

You're probably not looking to spend the $900-1700 for a set of full coilovers, but they would allow you to run a stiffer spring rate while allowing different levels of dampening to create a smooth commute and excellent track performance at the turn of a knob.

One option to increase comfort with your 17's would be to run a 45-series tire as opposed to a 35 or 40-series in order to have increased absorbtion from the tire sidewalls.
Hi mx3ownzj00,
Thanks for the info. A few more questions. The stock P5 springs are comparable to which one? The Protege Sedan?

Also I do not want much of a drop as it is a daily commuter and I pull a trailer on vacations. You mention the stock shocks are fine, if I had to replace them and not get too expensive, what would you recommend?

I am running 205 45 17 tire now but will be switching to 215 40 17 this week.

Back