** Spring Buyer's Guide **

Thanks guys, I'll be getting the aftermarket. When I found out about the MSP suspension I checked into it but because of the spring perch and the drop it caused in the rear started looking at aftermarket rather than seeing if I could find a junked MSP.

So for the Tokioco HPs and RB springs I'm looking @ 600$ for a new suspension without the misc parts. I know I'm going to need new strut mounts and baffles, but don't know if I'll need anything else. Plan on replacing endlinks, tie rod ends, lower control arms, and sway bar bushings at the same time.

Did I miss any of the suspension bits? The suspension hasn't been touched in the 11yrs since it was made, figured since I was doing the springs and struts might as well replace any other wearable parts/bushings.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you have all the big stuff covered.

I've been searching through the forum looking for pics and experiences/advice on
a spring choice for my 03 protege lx. It's got low miles(44k) and am only looking to do the springs for now. I was between the RB and H &R. Any pics, advice between the two? It's a daily driver that I have a hidden hitch on for bike transport. Help is appreciated. Thanks

Sounds to me like you have all the big stuff covered.

Thanks, I'm hoping so. It will be my first huge endeavor/repair and I want to get it done in a weekend. Hoping it will be warm too. Still have a month or two to research and prepare and to pray that the items I want are still in stock somewhere.

:-( any advice out there? Thanks

Well I know they aren't the springs you asked about but I have run Eibach two separate times in two separate cars. Both cars were the same make and model but 3 years apart. I had equally good experiences in both vehicles and they were the Eibach ProKit Springs both times were new springs. Provided a nice smooth yet controlled stiffness to the ride of the car. Cornered very well at high speeds.

After reading this post though I think I am going to continue searching and trying multiple spring sets as something to do with spare time.

Hey Guys, I knooow this has not been touched in like 2 years but I NEED HELP!
I just picked up 17" BBS RS Reps for my Mp5, Tires on them are 215/45/17 (will check off set and add to this post). The side wall of the tire is approx 2" from the lip of the rim(to put in perspective). Now my question is Would a 2" drop on springs be too low and cause rubbing? I tried to measure all the dimensions my self but its pretty complicated lol. I really need help on this, Im strictly going for looks tbh, although any handling gains would be an added bonus.

im going back and forth on these:

- MEGAN RACING MR-LS-MP501
fnt:280lbs/(1.9inch drop)
bck:230lbs/(2.0inch drop)

http://www.meganracing.com/product.asp?prodid=484&catid=44

-TEIN SKM46-AUB00 - S-TECH
fnt:179 lbs/ (1.7inch drop)
bck:146 lbs/(1.5inch drop)

http://www.tdotperformance.ca/tein-skm46-aub00-s-tech-spring-kit.html

I would like to get the best bang for my buck and go the full 2inch drop for a cheaper price but if its going to cause problems like rubbing I would rather not roll my fenders and just get the tein's.
Thanks Again you Beauts!!!

Hey Guys, I knooow this has not been touched in like 2 years but I NEED HELP!
I just picked up 17" BBS RS Reps for my Mp5, Tires on them are 215/45/17 (will check off set and add to this post). The side wall of the tire is approx 2" from the lip of the rim(to put in perspective). Now my question is Would a 2" drop on springs be too low and cause rubbing? I tried to measure all the dimensions my self but its pretty complicated lol. I really need help on this, Im strictly going for looks tbh, although any handling gains would be an added bonus.

im going back and forth on these:

- MEGAN RACING MR-LS-MP501
fnt:280lbs/(1.9inch drop)
bck:230lbs/(2.0inch drop)

http://www.meganracing.com/product.asp?prodid=484&catid=44

-TEIN SKM46-AUB00 - S-TECH
fnt:179 lbs/ (1.7inch drop)
bck:146 lbs/(1.5inch drop)

http://www.tdotperformance.ca/tein-skm46-aub00-s-tech-spring-kit.html

I would like to get the best bang for my buck and go the full 2inch drop for a cheaper price but if its going to cause problems like rubbing I would rather not roll my fenders and just get the tein's.
Thanks Again you Beauts!!!
You'll be fine as long as your offset isn't terrible. I was lowered around 3" on coilovers same size tire and no issues

1999 es.....????

-Updated August 8th 2006-

This thread was created as a guide for the 3rd Generation Proteg Community. Enjoy and feel free to PM or eMail me with questions/comments/suggestions/complaints.

/members/low_psi/Spring_Rates_Rev2.JPG

*The Mazdaspeed Protg springs are manufactured by Racing Beat. The Mazdaspeed Protg spring rates are slightly revised (stiffer) than the MP3s due to additional shock valving and a larger front sway bar(?).

Springs such as B&G, Goldline, Sprint, Progress Group, Tanabe, Evotion, Falken and Intrax, as well as coil-sleeves such as Skunk2 and Tom Motorsports should be considered "appearance springs" as the spring rates will not be performance oriented but allow for a fashionable drop height. Cornering performance will improve in most cases, but not nearly as much as the other springs offered.

Whats the difference between linear and progressive springs?

-Linear spring rates support a constant amount of force at all times regardless of how tightly compressed they become. ie. Tein S-Techs provide 179 lbs/in of support up front during normal driving conditions and during hard cornering.

Linear springs tend to be more predictable during hard cornering, but can administer a jarring ride during normal conditions.

-Progressive spring rates are able to support a varied force at different tensions as the coil compress. ie. During normal driving the Eibach Pro-Kit allows a softer 147 lbs/in up front to allow smoother dampening during normal driving, but when pushed to the limits (coils become compressed) they support a much stiffer applied force.

Progressive springs tend to be less predictable than linear springs in situations such as corner exit, but allow softer daily driving.

Due to the characteristic of different struts and suspension components, listed drop heights will not be exact per each application. MP3 & MSP owners will need to subtract ~0.75" from the listed drop height, for a more correct estimate.

Whats the difference between coil-sleeves and coilovers?

-Coil-sleeves act solely as springs that allow the bottom spring perch to be adjusted up and down. As the perch is adjusted, ride height is altered.

-Coilovers consist of a spring and strut assembly. Both the springs and struts are adjustable to provide a lower ride height, without compromising the spring rate, and a custom dampening setting. Some entry level coilovers do not allow for shock dampening.

AutoEXE manufactures both springs and coilovers for the BJ-chassis Protg, but require importing them from Japan and substantial information cannot be found regarding their spring rates.

SPOOL brand springs provide a 2" F&R drop. Spring rates are lost in the great abyss.

H&R spring rates are a general percentage which they claim as stiffer than the stock Protege springs. These are by no means official or correct rates. The percentage can be found on their website

Yeah yeah yeah I know this is an old post but I was hoping someone could aid in my choice of coils for my '99 ES. I have monroe struts and I think i "need" to change the coils while im at it. I am not looking to slam it but lower a little bit. Currently have mostly upgraded the rubbers and balls with mevotech product. I know the coil thickness is never the same comparing to stock. Can anyone advise to a respectable set of coils that maintain my "daily driver" attitude with the accidental road rage of fury? Please help........

tnks.

A very popular combo was the Tein S-Tech springs and Tokico HP Blues. IMO they lowered the car with perfect form + function and the ride was still decent for my dd use in NE PA. Check out the link for pics of my former P5 with said combo. You are correct about the struts, if you do decide to use a lowering spring, you will need to upgrade the strut. If not, it's only a matter of time before those Monroe's will "blow".

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123784195-The-Moderately-Low-(Not-Slammed)-and-Functional-Thread&p=5440700&viewfull=1#post5440700

Does it change anything that the monroe struts are brand new, (ie.....in the box)? Possibly a reasonable life, as I as well have to drive these wonderful Pocono roads.....I was thinking tein with them or eilbach but I just dont know too much. Im more a truck guy and cars are a little of a mystery to me. TBH.

I guess the question really is can I even get tokico blue for a 1999 ES? I have seen that there are similarities but dont know if same....

I guess the question really is can I even get tokico blue for a 1999 ES? I have seen that there are similarities but dont know if same....

You can use tokico blue or illuminas but you'll have to change the front sway bar links since they are designed for 2000 and up proteges and they are a lot longer.

Ok I know I'm seriously delayed and im way over thinking this but the bolts.......am I only using a camber adjustment bolt on the top or am I using them on the bottom and the one above it?? Can anyone help me out here. I'm learning as I go with this. I've been a truck guy my whole life. Sorry for the stupidity of my question.

Back