** Spring Buyer's Guide **

BlueWolfCry - for your application if you want to use the stock struts for now, the sport specs will allow for better ride comfort and handling compared to the race spec on stock struts.

Both springs will offer performance benefits to the car, it depends what you're after. The sport specs will still have the practicality of extra ground clearence vs. the race spec, and for a street car that would be idea. On the P5 we've had customers load their cars up fully with 5 people w/ luggage on the sport specs that the car still handled like the way it's suppose to with the sport spec springs. The following are some pics of the sport spec on the P5 to give you an idea. You'll be able to get away with using the sport specs now on your stock struts, and then upgrade them to better units when you have more money.

iON Sport Spec front springs vs. OE Front Springs
sportvoef.gif

iON Sport Spec rear springs vs. OE Rear Springs
sportvoer.gif

iON Sport Spec Springs Installed (front view)
sportfront.gif

iON Sport Spec Springs Installed (side view)
sportside.gif

iON Sport Spec Springs Installed (rear view)
sportfr.gif

iON Sport Spec Springs Front Right Fender Gap
sportgfr.gif

iON Sport Spec Springs Rear Right Fender Gap

sportgrr.gif

p5sss1.jpg

p5sss2.jpg

p5sss3.jpg

p5sss4.jpg

Last edited:
I'm getting my new wheels tomorrow & after that I still need to get motor mounts, but iON race springs are next on the list after that.

goku4658 said:
ok mx3ownzjoo, yet another question...i was all set to order the eibach pro's for my msp...but got tempted to consider the tein s-tech springs and the falken gravity sport springs cuz of the greater front drop....what are your opinions between these 3? been a great help so far, thanks!!

-jon
my BIASED opinion is:
pro-kit: performance w/ a fair drop
s-techs: nice drop but I've heard too many reports of them being too soft.
falkens: i'll stick with their tires. i doubt performance will be increased, but if all you want is a stylish drop, I'm sure you'll be happy.

whoops, I'll double check the drop for the s-techs again. maybe I did reverse them. thanks for the heads up.

thanks for stepping up and answering everyone's questions iON! j00 rawk!

mx3:

just wanted to add another suspension option from mazda motorsports (for members)

COIL OVER KIT
PROTEGE
1.8 DOHC, 2.0 DOHC
1999-2003
$1,395.00

P/N: 0000-04-3300-KT

Notes:
Includes new AWR manufactured front strut housings, threaded collars and spring perches for front and back, Bilstein inserts, 275lb/10" (front) and 325lb/10" (rear)Eibach ERS race springs.

I don't know if this was stated earlier and it was not on the chart but, B&G has springs and coilovers for the P5 and sedan also. Might want to check up on that.

Has anyone put the MSP springs on the P5? I can get a set of them for cheap, but I don't want to waste my money if it dosn't lower my car.

Last edited:
If anyone cares to know, I have Eibach Pro-kit springs on my show car. The ride is definitely rougher than my stock setup, but that is because it is a Mercury, a European designed car, meant to be a very smooth handling car. I used to be able to drive it 140 MPH on the highway and not even realize it, it was that smooth. It is actually still smooth at high speeds, but if you hit a slight bump, you do feel it. However, I wouldn't say it is a rough ride, compared to many other suspension setups I have noticed in friends cars. My car does not bounce like many lowered cars. It is tight, I can take sharp turns @ 70 MPH with no tire noises or lean. I do have strut braces on the front tower, and a full ST200 (European special edition) rally style brace in the rear (including a cross member). My point is that the ride quality was not quite as smooth as stock, but handling and cornering are so much better, it far offset any comfort losses. I think I would go with Eibach on the MSP unless I ride in a car with something better. I want something that rides nicely for daily driving, but will allow me to corner like I do with the show car. My next step will be the Corksport trunk braces once I drop the car a bit. I only want to drop it 1" to 1.5. MazdaSpeed and Eibach actually make a set of springs that should work perfectly for what I want. CorkSport sells those also. Man I should work for those guys. I always am selling stuff for them...(rockon)

TrueProtege said:
Has anyone put the MSP springs on the P5? I can get a set of them for cheap, but I don't want to waste my money if it dosn't lower my car.
The MSP Racing Beat springs will lower a normal Protege 3/4", but I'm not sure if they work on the P5 (I think the rear setup is different). I'm sure someone else could tell you.

now i have been thinkin aobut gettin the tein s-tech springs.. since i have a sub in the back already is tucked do to the weight.. could i order the tein & just use them on the front or no ?

you can do that. but why not the back also? the stechs only lower 1.4 in the rear, the sub will not make the rear lower than the 1.8 drop in the front
mazdaspeedchick said:
now i have been thinkin aobut gettin the tein s-tech springs.. since i have a sub in the back already is tucked do to the weight.. could i order the tein & just use them on the front or no ?

Black Majik MSP said:
Just better handling or better mix of handling AND ride comfort?
Haha, unfortunately...for me at least, I am a perfectionist. I would like to have a perfectly balanced car. However, since the word perfect really is in the eye of the beholder, I would just like the ride to at least be equal to or close to what it is now (stock). I would like to eliminate the fender gap most of all, the car seems to sit just a bit too high in the front. Especially when I park it next to my Cougar. That car has a perfect fender gap IMHO. I also like to corner hard and fast, and take twisties (PCH baby! best highway in the world for scenery/twisties). So I would also like it to be able to handle me tossing it in to corners much faster than any 4-door family/compact size car should be able to handle. Again, I am used to my 2 door/wide/low excellent handling European-spec Cougar. Is it possible to get all of this with any of the available suspension setups? I am eventually planning on the Corksport suspension upgrades, most specifically the trunk reinforcements/rear strut tower bar. Thanks!

Attachments

• fcbdb589.jpg
    fcbdb589.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 629
  • NicTLg_Cougar.jpg
    NicTLg_Cougar.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 643
  • Both-Cars.jpg
    Both-Cars.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 649
Last edited:
nictlg7 said:
I am a perfectionist. I would like to have a perfectly balanced car. However, since the word perfect really is in the eye of the beholder, I would just like the ride to at least be equal to or close to what it is now (stock). I would like to eliminate the fender gap most of all, the car seems to sit just a bit too high in the front.
^Word. I just want it lower and even between the front and back.

Nice Cougar btw!

a223818 said:
Interesting, mx3ownzj00

I would like to drop my P5 but I find that with the 17"'s the ride is a bit on the harsh side on rough roads. What would you recommend.

I noticed that you don;t have the Racing Beat springs listed. I know that they are not a coil over but how woul dthey compare?

Thanks
I'd definitly reccomend the iON springs. I just put mine in myself yesterday and I do alot of driving on some not so smooth roads, and while they do stiffen up the ride a bit (sporty, not harsh) they are stil lvery streetable. The 1.18" drop is fairly mild too, so you won't run into problems with clearance (mostly) but it still looks good. Pics attached.

Edit: Excuse the dirty car but it's been raining non stop for the past 3 days.

Attachments

• P1020308.JPG
    P1020308.JPG
    368.5 KB · Views: 565
  • P1020306.JPG
    P1020306.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 336
  • P1020307.JPG
    P1020307.JPG
    280.7 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
I have looked, and nobody seems to have mentioned anything about the H&R springs for our car. I had a friend who had them and they handles extremely well. Ofcourse part of that could've been that he had Koni adjustables all the way around as well, but still the springs made that car handle like a dream. If anyone has more information on them for our car, I would appreciate it.

Tommy

Back