Could someone give me basic instructions on installing a CAI?

Hazman

:
1999 Protege LX
Hey guys. All the hype about the eBay CAIs got me very interested, so I bought one. Unfortunately, it doesn't come with instructions, and I have no idea where to even start. I'm not looking for long, detailed instructions (although those would be nice); I just need a sort of basic idea of how a CAI works and where everything goes. The install will be on a 1.6L '99 Protege LX. Thanks so much in advance!

i dont have them now but later next week you can go to Protege5online.net . It will have a write up on it them. sorry, free promo and bump

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=611 border=0 NOF="LY"><TBODY><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD colSpan=6 height=62></TD><TD width=287 colSpan=3>
a_Rectangle_45.gif
</TD><TD colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD colSpan=11 height=1></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD colSpan=5 height=216></TD><TD width=288 colSpan=4><SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--function onPictureRollover2A162348Over() {}function onPictureRollover2A162348Out() {}//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--graphic1PictureRollover2A162348 = new Image()graphic1PictureRollover2A162348.src = '../../Injen_Before_2.JPG';graphic2PictureRollover2A162348 = new Image()graphic2PictureRollover2A162348.src = '../../Injen_After_small.JPG';function onPictureRollover2A162348Over() {document.PictureRollover2A162348.src=graphic2PictureRollover2A162348.src;}function onPictureRollover2A162348Out() {document.PictureRollover2A162348.src=graphic1PictureRollover2A162348.src;}//--></SCRIPT></TD><TD colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD colSpan=11 height=2></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD colSpan=7 height=59></TD><TD width=282 colSpan=2>
a_Rectangle_50.gif
</TD><TD colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD colSpan=11 height=14></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD colSpan=2></TD><TD class=TextObject width=552 colSpan=9>The Injen intake for the 2.0L protege was a pretty easy install. Injen did a really good job on this intake in my opinion. Looks great, performs great & like I said very easy to install. It already comes with great instructions so I will just elaborate on some & give some pointers.

The whole install probably took me 45 minutes. I went a little slow because I was making sure I did it all right & remembered what I was doing & taking pics as I went for this tech sheet so it may have taken less time if I tried. First off, taking out the stock intake is very simple. There are 2 nuts that hold the front intake to the radiator & a couple of bolts & nuts that holdit to the frame of the engine bay & a few other brackets. Pretty straight forward. You willl have to take off the airbox before you can get to the bolt under it to take off the long resenator/moisture trap that drops toward the ground (youll figure out what Im talking about) The whole stock intake comes off all the way up to the throttle body (the actual engine...so every bit of plastic tubing & boxes on the intake comes off).

Youll have to disconnect 2 wires & 1 hose as well as pull that bracket off the top of the pipe close to the throttle body (you will relocate this bracket as shown in the Injen Instructions). Once youre whole intake is off, youll need to take the MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) off the stock box (you have to have this). Do this by removing the 2 bolts & pulling it out (dont break it!). Also pull the Temp. guage (little thing next to the MAF on the air box...just pull it out along with the grommet). From there, follow Injen directions on putting your new intake in. Pretty straight forward there. They show you how to relocate your overflow resevoir by drilling but you dont need to do this. After you take off the stock intake, there will be a bolt hole right next to where the resevoir bracket comes off, just move it to that hole & youll have plenty of room (youll have to work with the angle & which way it turns to get it perfect but it only takes a minute). That hole going down to your wheel well is where the intake is going & where the cone will reside. Getting the cone on the end was the trickiest part. Injen suggests you to take the bumper off (dont do this!! Its pointless & a huge waste of time & energy) Go under your car (jack it up to make it easier, make sure you put stands under it to keep it steady & cock the wheels). You can remove 3 screws from the under skirt right there in front in front of the wheel well. You wont take the skirt off but you can fit the filter up in there & work it on the pipe. The hardest part is getting to the top of that filter & tightening it on the pipe. You want to make sure its on there good where it wont fall off. If not, youll suck something bad into your engine (you dont want your engine blown!!) so double check it (and you may want to periodically check it at random times after you put it on to make sure it holds on throughout the time the intake stays on your car...you can actually see the filter from up top..just look down through the whole where the pipe goes & there it is) The Injen intake is like the K&N in that it is cleanable so you dont really have to replace it (but you may want to replace it or upgrade to a K&N cone later) Once you get it on make sure everything is tight & the MAF is secure & clean up your engine (dont want to leave a screw driver in there!). Turn your car on & listen to it purr. Rev it a little. Its great. Take it out & test it. See how much you like it (you will). Enjoy.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

here this is from protege5online.com its a little help check the how to section

Thanks a lot guys, especially Senor Corwin. The intake'll arrive on Wed., and hopefully I'll put it in that weekend. Thanks again.

Hey all. Today, I wanted to get an estimate of how much it'd cost to have an auto shop install the CAI. I took it to a small local place, and the guy estimated that it would cost about $90 for 2 hours of labor. First off, would this really take 2 hours to do?

Secondly, he said that the intake may cause problems with the car's "computer". He said that I may need to get a "performance chip" for $90, because the engine would be getting "too much air," which would be bad unless I got this chip.

Can anyone give me some truth here? I trust my Mazda bros more than anyone! Thanks.

That guy is BSing you. You dont need any of that crap he's trying to sell you. It takes at most 1 hour if you dont know how to do it yourself.

Yeah grab a buddy and do the install yourself. You only need a few sockets and a screwdriver maybe. I'm sure your install would be just as good as the shops...kinda hard to mess up the intake. And no, a chip is not required. Best of luck!

yea do it your self man and like i said the IL kats are pretty cool im sure someone would help you. try posting in that forum.

that guy is a total bullshiter.

Back