Aux Input, On Its Way

Astral said:
Daymn, how do these people get away charging around $100 for aux input. Sheesh!
Materials, production, and R&D cost money.

rktktpaul said:
OK, just ordered the kit from logjam. I'll keep you guys informed when I receive the kit.
Awsome. I was going to go ahead and order one, but they won't ship to Canada. I was hoping someone would order it before me. Let us know when you get it. Hope it works.

Just a thought...If you have a digital camera, it would be nice if you could do a "how-to"

-Erik

Okay - got the parts from logjam; I don't think this is going to work.

The adaptor does not fit into the MD/Tape module port as I had thought. It has a 16 pin molded plug (8 pins over 8 pins) that they show in the instructions connects to a "16-pin CD changer data port" next to the "power/speaker socket" on the back of the HU.

Now I haven't pulled my HU out yet, but I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that there is no "16-pin CD changer data port" on the back of my radio.

Me thinks this is a bust!!

*goes to Alpine website*

rktktpaul said:

The adaptor does not fit into the MD/Tape module port as I had thought. It has a 16 pin molded plug (8 pins over 8 pins) that they show in the instructions connects to a "16-pin CD changer data port" next to the "power/speaker socket" on the back of the HU.

Now I haven't pulled my HU out yet, but I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that there is no "16-pin CD changer data port" on the back of my radio.

*goes to Alpine website*
well guys, I got tired of waiting and finally gave in. I picked this up:

n-1180-1.jpg

JVC KD-SX990 (aux input bottom right)

My buddy sold it to me at cost (I couldn't say no) So now, I'm contemplating the next purchase...amp and sub maybe. Just want to figure out a way to get a sub that is easily movable since I use the trunk and fold the rear seats down quite often.

Good luck with the search. I'm interested in finding out if it ever works out.

-Erik

A nice 10" with a qlogic box and an amp mounted either on the rear seat backs or on the tray covering the cargo area. That worked for me. Oh and i say get an alpine and rcainput...u will thank me :D

rktktpaul said:

*goes to Alpine website*
There is a data connection althouhg I can not remeber its configuration or number of pins.

1sty said:
There is a data connection althouhg I can not remeber its configuration or number of pins.
So it sounds to me Craig, like it might be worth my while to pull my HU and investigate a little more. Let me check it out!

what model year

rktktpaul said:

*goes to Alpine website*

What model year P5 do you have because on LogJam's website that say only 2003-2004 P5's. So then does anybody know if Mazda changed the stereo after 2002??

ddrum2000 said:
What model year P5 do you have because on LogJam's website that say only 2003-2004 P5's. So then does anybody know if Mazda changed the stereo after 2002??
There's no such thing as a 2004 P5; I believe they were available for the 2002 - 03 model years. 03.5 is the last model change before the new Mazda3 came out.

I have a 03.5.

rktktpaul said:
There's no such thing as a 2004 P5; I believe they were available for the 2002 - 03 model years. 03.5 is the last model change before the new Mazda3 came out.

I have a 03.5.
Bingo, there were no changes to the headunit from 2002 to 2003 and those where the only model years the car was available for.

I have a feeling this thing is for post protege mazdas.

The Miata still has our stereo I think so if it doesn't say it works with the Miata then it could very well be for the Mazda3.

the data port is inside the head unit where the tape/md player would go - i wish i had seen this a week ago when i had two of these radios sitting here on my floor

Captain KRM P5 said:
the data port is inside the head unit where the tape/md player would go - i wish i had seen this a week ago when i had two of these radios sitting here on my floor

Do you have a photo you can post so we can all see what you are talking about?

Yes, please someone tell us if it will actually work. I'm just about to give up on this whole damn thing and get a Kenwood with Satellite and aux input.

Captain KRM P5 said:
So Ken, to the best of your recollection, there is no 16-pin plug on the back of our OEM radios, is that correct?

rktktpaul said:
So Ken, to the best of your recollection, there is no 16-pin plug on the back of our OEM radios, is that correct?
the plugs as i recall are as follows - on the back of the head unit you had the plug for the wiring harness and the antenna plug. i believe there was a wider rectangular plug back there as well. the mini-disc/tape slot had its own terminal/connector as did the CD player/changer port

Back