How to: Replacing A/C Control Panel LEDs

uh say what now? you ****** up your head light by putting the wrong bulbs in it? if thats what your saying, then damn son

Minus said:
uh say what now? you ****** up your head light by putting the wrong bulbs in it? if thats what your saying, then damn son

hahahaha... i no i put the wrong bulbs in, they were too big and the bottoms didnt match the plug

ZapWizard said:
Where can I get new light condoms?

Cause google ain't coming up with helpful stuff.
(At least not for car modding)

I went to autozone and got the "bulb sleevs", they have some pretty small ones that will probabbly work. I made the interior lights blue and light blue with the sleeves and bulb caps (some trimming of the soft plastic "condom" was all that was required). Of course there is hardly any actual illumination left, just a blue glow LOL.

You should just swap interiors with an MSP owner. I did the opposite of you. I didn't like a red interior (I am a cool color guy, warm colors don't work for me). I have blue illumination on my radio, my gauges have been replaced with blue El-glo custom (one-of-a-kind) gauges, my A-pillar has 3 C2 gauge illuminated in blue El-glo, and under my radio, I will be installing a bracket with a mechanical boost gauge that matches my main gauges, as well as my Profec B Spec II which has a blue face. One of my first mods...my HKS TT, even has a blue illuminated face. Thanks for the right up, btw...I am going to eliminate the remaining red illumination with this new modification. I want my entire interior to match. I will post pics if anyone is interested in what it would look like. But yeah...if you would have swapped with someone like me who didn't like the red, it would probably have been easier for you. (blah)

Sorry to bring it up after the fact...;)

hey zap, do you know if closing the circuit via those switch(es) equal to pressing the A/C switch?

Dexter said:
hey zap, do you know if closing the circuit via those switch(es) equal to pressing the A/C switch?
I didn't trace it that far, but since the A/C button is a Push-On-Push-Off button most likely it is wired to the same end connection, but not directly to the switch it's self or the A/C Light would turn on.

yeah, i tried tracing it with my multimeter an could never really figure out how the hell it was wired up...but as long as that switch turns on the A/C compressor, I am good.

well i tried to connect one of the led strings pieces to the existing backlight leds i installed. apparantly it was to much of a load cause it fried two of the wires on the top board. put in jumpers to fix them and everything is fine but still only has the two leds for the backlighting. So Zap, or anyone for that matter, can you help me out on snaking the led on the side? it is possible to run two leds in a circuit to reach both sides?

From the install pics it looks like you just connected the extra led to the left two prongs under the screw, is this all that is needed or do i need resistors?

blynd_spy said:
yeah im trying to snake an led on the side. Just use a 220 ohm res?

220 should be about right.
I will be modding my wife's car with blue LEDs and I may redo the guide with more detail on the general backlighting then.

cool, thanjs for the help

another quick question, in the attached pic I circled the two wires i fried and ran jumpers...would this in any way contribute to my heater not producing heat? Havent troubleshot the problem yet, but pretty sure its not the flap.

Last edited:
blynd_spy said:

another quick question, in the attached pic I circled the two wires i fried and ran jumpers...would this in any way contribute to my heater not producing heat? Havent troubleshot the problem yet, but pretty sure its not the flap.

that board has nothing to do with controlling the heat. it must be the manually driven part.

thats kinda what i figured..just wanted to make sure before i tear things apart. The control arm for the heat seems to be functioning properly...what else could be keeping the heat from coming through..fans are definitely fine btw.

blynd_spy said:

You are probably not getting any heat because u might not have installed the cables (from the unit to the air ducts) correctly. For the temperature control cable, when u clip it back into position make sure you use the clip that is on the duct unit. My clip fell off and i either have full heat or no heat (have to change it manually). Mazda has the clip for $2.50 (Canadian Dollar)

thanks, but yeah i fixed that the same night. Clip wasnt on the plastic piece and didnt feal like posting my stupidity.

Sure would have been a cold winter of 2005, thats for sure..

when i try to remove my center panel thingie, it seems to be held on by the ac knobs at the bottom, and they seem to be screwed on the back of it, and the space is very tight to get a screwdriver behind it. ill post pix if i have to. im trying to paint the center panel.

Back