Mental Addiction Motorsports 3rd Gen Protege Turbo kit

Designed for the Mazda Protege 2.0L FS-DE.
Our turbo Sleeper turbo kit is designed for reliablity and everyday driving but with a horsepower punch.
The Mazda Protege Sleeper kit makes a wooping 194whp SAE corrected on just 7psi with a Magnaflow 2.25 catback.Th
The Sleeper turbo is good to 350-375 horsepower and comes with the following:

Our complete kit consists of the following(retail $4395):
GT28RS ball bearing Turbo(Polished Compressor cover)

Stainless manifold(log type) Ceramic coated
Tial 38mm External Wastegate
Large FMIC with Polished cast end tanks
Stainless wastegate and down piping,ceramic coated.
MPI Tuner(controls Fuel and Timing)
HKS SS Blow off valve
Braided oil feed and drain lines
T-bolt clamps
Silicone couplings
Autometer Boost gauge
Powdercoated cold parts(silver or Black)

heat shield(Polished or Brushed)
Cold air intake with K&N X-stream style filter
Billet Aluminum 3 port vaccum adapter(Polished or Brushed)
Over flow bottle relocation bracket(Polished or Brushed)
Radiator hose
etc

We also offer a starter kit(retail $3400) that consists of:
GT28RS ball bearing Turbo(Polished Compressor cover)
Stainless manifold(log type) Ceramic coated
Tial 38mm External Wastegate
Large FMIC with Polished cast end tanks
Stainless wastegate and down piping,ceramic coated.
Bosch Blow Off valve
Braided oil feed and drain lines
T-bolt clamps
Silicone couplings
Powdercoated cold parts(silver or Black)

heat shield(Polished or Brushed)
Cold air intake with K&N X-stream style filter
Billet Aluminum 3 port vaccum adapter(Polished or Brushed)
Over flow bottle relocation bracket(Polished or Brushed)
Radiator hose

Here are some pictures of the kit
Our kit does not effect ground clearance and allows you to keep all your underbody plastic for a clean stealthy look.
protegeunderside.jpg

ssenginebay.jpg

ssenginebay2.jpg

Our front mount intercooler files up the entire front grill opening

ssfmic2.jpg

If you have any questions and comments, please feel free.
Thanks,
Beau

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

I love the fact that you don't require any cutting of the underbody plastic, this was one of my biggest gripes about the turbokit that perfworks designed for my car.

Good Luck.

(2thumbs) It's awsome that we have other companies interested in the mazda community and I think that turbokit looks hot(rockon) I have some questions about the turbokit is will it be safe for automatics? How much psi does the starter kit produce? and can the starter kit be upgraded?

Last edited:
Micah said:
Welcome to the forum.

I love the fact that you don't require any cutting of the underbody plastic, this was one of my biggest gripes about the turbokit that perfworks designed for my car.

Good Luck.
Thank you for the welcome.The only cutting you have to do is near the lower radiator support where the powersteering loop is(which you must relocate or remove on our kit).It's a small cut and is done in less than a minute.Other than that there's no cutting/bending,etc

MAMotorsports said:
AEM wideband gauge/sensor
GT28R ball bearing Turbo
nice features... how does that turbo compare in size to a T3?

Very complete kit (thumb)

Got pics of your FMIC??

Subghetto said:
(2thumbs) It's awsome that we have other companies interested in the mazda community and I think that turbokit looks hot(rockon) The only question I have about the turbokit is will it be safe for automatics?
To be honest, nothing is safe when it comes to a stock automatic.I have only heard of people with auto's doing 4-5psi and not blowing them up.I have yet to do or see it myself.We are talking with 2 possible sponsors that are both automatics.

paulmp3 said:
nice features... how does that turbo compare in size to a T3?

Very complete kit (thumb)

Got pics of your FMIC??
Depending on the size of the T3, the GT28R will out preform it.The GT28R flows 35lbs per minute(will support 340-370HP and still be efficent).
The GT28R features:
Turbine
-Wheel: 53mm w/ 62 trim
-Housing: .64 ar

Compressor
-Wheel: 60mm w/ 60 trim
-Housing: .60 ar

A typical T serios turbo contains 54 components while a GT series has 29.Less components means less items to fail.The Journal bearings in the GT series has 20% less shaft movement and less drag.Thus creating a faster spooling and more reliable turbo.The thrust bearing in the GT has an increased load bearing which creates greater resistance to bearing failure.There's alot more features a GT series has to offer over a T series.We chose the GT28R over a tradional T3 for these reasons.The downside to the GT28R is cost.It roughly cost $300 more overall than a Super60 T3.But the super fast spooling characteristics and overall power is worth the added cost.

Here is a very old picture of the front where you can see the FMIC.In this picture you can see our old design pipe from the turbo to the MAF.This design caused stalling problems when going from WOT to a quick stop.We felt this was a dangerous and redesigned the pipe.
protege5front.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, good luck with finishing up the R&D...

One more kit to add to the availabilty list.

Hmmmm...GT series turbo...
I wonder how the GT series snail would mount up to my current kit for curiosity's sake?

are you sponsoring people only out of AZ? I am planning a motor build as can be viewed in another thread...

Do either of the kits include a boost gauge? Does the starter kit really not include a BEGI FMU? I would think twice about selling a kit without a FMU :). Might turn out to be a headache.

Chris

Very nice looking kit...This is the second protege kit maker that I've seen use the GT28R..I like the way it relocates the overflow bottle instead of adding bends to the piping leading to the turbo

it.
DooMer_MP3 said:
Do either of the kits include a boost gauge? Does the starter kit really not include a BEGI FMU? I would think twice about selling a kit without a FMU :). Might turn out to be a headache.

Chris
Chris,

The starter kit does not include any fuel related items or boost gauge.The reason for this is because some people already have these items, or do not want the type/style we offer in the complete kit.This gives the kit some flexablity.

The kit looks sweet.
guys, Beau from Mental is a great guy, He is the person who is helping me out GREATLY with my turbo setup... from manifold to cooler.
I for one feal comfortable dealing with him, because I know that he takes the time to actually speak to you about items you are calling about, even if you are not purchasing them right away.

Bruce

Back