How-To: Disabling Automatic A/C - Defrost modes

Well the bulbs that actually light up the numbers and such aren't leds only the ones that light up the buttons are.

unless i read wrong, in that guys thread, he said he replaced his green led's with red ones so that the numbers and such lit up red too. I've never had mine apart just seen his write up.

ya the ones for the buttons are LEDs but the two for the back lighting are incandescent. I got looked at like I was stupid at the electronics store cuz I assumed they were LEDs :)

I wanted to do this mod for a while but never got around to it. I was changing the radio so I did this. When I put everything back my temperature knob is very hard now and it won't go to full hot. I checked the cable it seems clear and i'm pretty sure its in the same place but the knob is very hard anyone have any advice?

ya this happened to me. take off the cable, take it out of the little clip (behind the glove compartment area). now make sure the cable is pulled all the way out to its full potential (knob all the way to hot) then push the little plastic arm it connects to all the way over, after this put the cable back on the switch and clip it into the little clip that holds it in place. What happend is when u clipped the cable back into place, the housing was too close to the switch so when u turn the nob to hot the switch is reaching its fully open point before the cable reaches its full extension point, This is keeping the knob from going all the way to hot but the switch is actually fully engaged. This is causing the cable to bind up. The same exact thing happened to me but its an easy fix.

SNike05 said:
Awesome thanks Buck I'll try it out. I was hoping someone fell into a similar problem.

did u get that problem with the knob figured out?

Yep got it fixed basically when I was pushing the hvac in the cable did not go through a clear path. Instead it went through some other wires in a cramped area which was preventing it to flex and move like its suppose resulting in the knob being hard.

So for the ones that will do this make sure the cables of the hvac are sent through the same path that they were removed from. Otherwise the knobs may get harder to function.

Just tried this mod on my MZ5 manual HVAC.

There are two micro switches: One for A/C and another for REC off.

Instead of cutting traces I removed switches' rockers and trimmed pins.

Total time is about two hours.

I'm pretty sure the compressor turns on randomly as I can feel the extra drag on the engine while driving...

Even the lights dim while at speed...

I remember it was the same on my 2000 Neon and I disliked it so much that...stupidly, I replaced the accessory belt with a shorter one when I purchased my UDP... (headbang) which, by the way I regretted when I got married and my wife and I went to Utah/Arizona/California and Mexico on our Honeymoon. Not too hot, just too much nagging(chair)

When I tried to use the

If you have properly removed the copper on the board there is no way the compressor can function without power. I did this a year ago and have never had a problem and the compressor will not go on unless I turn it on.

My second mod...done!

just did this mod today, so proud of myself! I love this "how-to" section - I've already done the "keyless entry/ ignition on" mod. The hardest part of this one is definitely in the "putting back together" part, rerouting the cables. Also, removing the cable sheaths from the retainers. I don't have a spreader tool, so a small pair of needlenose pliers will do, although not perfectly. The problem is, if I were to go through this procedure again, lets say for replacing bulbs, I think the pliers would eventually wreck the plastic retainers. So, moral of the story, if you don't have the right tool for the job, maybe plan on doing these two procedures at once. Thanks Zap for the excellent write up!

I just finished doing this, and it worked great! I looked at the online manual, and they made the removal of the center console seem much harder. Just pulling on the vents was much easier!

wrkngmanByTor said:
... Also, removing the cable sheaths from the retainers. I don't have a spreader tool, so a small pair of needlenose pliers will do, although not perfectly....

I tried the needlenose pliers, but mine just weren't small enough, so I went inside and found a pair of scissors similar to these:
image002.jpg

They fit perfectly, and the clip opened really easily without any damage at all.

Thanks for the howto ZapWizard!! :D (if you are still around...)

Just wondering... can anyone else confirm this... I'm quite sure the compressor kicks in when it's in the feet only position. Try sitting with your doors open and flick the switch between all settings and I'm pretty sure it comes on in feet only mode as well as the other two. So, my question is does this mod fix this also??

Wishmaster said:
Just wondering... can anyone else confirm this... I'm quite sure the compressor kicks in when it's in the feet only position. Try sitting with your doors open and flick the switch between all settings and I'm pretty sure it comes on in feet only mode as well as the other two. So, my question is does this mod fix this also??

This mod will give you FULL control of your A/C. It comes on only when you want it to no matter what position. The only time it will not come on is if the outside temperature is less than zero.

Back