Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How-To: Disabling Automatic A/C - Defrost modes

xfimpg
    Thanks to everyone who contributed to this solution!
    I just finished mine and am looking forward to the results.

Mike

Verry nice. Now if you could just tell me how to do that on My Mazda 3.

NEMOC & Rotary Moderator

2013 CX-9

Sorry to ressurect this but I wanted this done from the day I got my P5. I like to run the heat through the defrost-floor in the winter time because it keeps the dry air from blowing in my face (and making my eyes dry out). However, I also like to get good gas milage which won't happen if I'm running the A/C all winter long.

Excellent post! This should be sticky if it isn't already.

'03 Pro5

Woah woah woah....mega serious question.

The ventilation system is always moving air through it, even when it's off. Additionally, although the blower is turned to 0, the temperature dial still has a noticable effect on the air coming out.

Does this mean if I leave the controls on defrost and the blower to 0, is my AC still on??? If so, I think Mazda owes me a few grand in gas money....I've never gotten good gas mileage, but I always drive with the vent control on defrost.

Quote Originally Posted by eting_pro5
    Woah woah woah....mega serious question.

The ventilation system is always moving air through it, even when it's off. Additionally, although the blower is turned to 0, the temperature dial still has a noticable effect on the air coming out.

Does this mean if I leave the controls on defrost and the blower to 0, is my AC still on??? If so, I think Mazda owes me a few grand in gas money....I've never gotten good gas mileage, but I always drive with the vent control on defrost.
    No your A/C is not on when the switch is at 0.

The temp dial makes a difference because it's hooked up to a manual "door" that alows engine cooland to either come into the heater core or not. The air flowing in from outside always passes over the heater core. when you turn the dial to hot, hot coolant runs into the heater core, the outside air passes over the hot core and voila hot air with setting still at 0.
    Bumble G

Would there be a built in software solution. I know on my 2001 civic, holding a couple buttons while turning the ignition on disabled it.

Donated: $5.73
    Unauthorized DOUCHEBAG

^ Doubt it. I dont think the control board is that intelligent.

eting_pro5: put it on recirculated air. this closes the fresh air door and you will not feel any more blowing. it feels like the fans are blowing when on "0" but when you are moving it just fresh air coming i.

2003 Yellow Mazda Protege5 Autostick

I did this today while in the middle of working on my 95 contour (my winter beater). It took my all of about 20 min. to do, excellent right up and pics were definately the reason why it went quick. My contour also turns on the ac when you have the settings to defrost. Must be a Ford/Mazda thing.
    Anyone can drive fast in a straight line ...... Its driving fast around corners that takes skill.

i've nothing to type here blynd_spy's Avatar

2003 LX

led out?

does doing this mod cause the recirculating air led to not come on? i changed the leds at the same time, but the led isnt burnt and the circuit board looks fine..

2003 LX

nevermind, ifigured out my mistake.... the solder points for the led were touching...
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member
    Donated: $25

Spicy Orange MSP #1287

So, my main concern about this is whether this will actually help me save a little gas. Assuming that since the A/C is on, it wastes gas while I'm trying to de-fog my windows right? So, if I disconnect the A/C as shown, will I still be able to de-fog the windows without using the A/C??
    Current cars:
    2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
    1990 Honda Civic Si

SOLD: Spicy Orange MSP #1287
    ENGINE - Injen Cold Air Intake//Ion Performance front-mount intercooler//GReddy Type-S blow off valve//JIC Magic 505-SUS catback exhaust system//Joe P. manual boost controller//Kartboy short shifter, bushings, shift knob//DG Motorsports carbon fiber engine cover//Perma-Cool oil filter relocation kit//Redline MT-90 synthetic transmission fluid
    WHEELS/TIRES/SUSPENSION - Tein SS coilovers//Fuzion ZR-i 215/45/17 tires//Rotor Works cross-drilled/slotted rotors//Axxis Metal Master pads
    INTERIOR -Tinted windows//Autometer full pillar triple gauge pod//Autometer oil pressure, boost, and air/fuel ratio gauges//Dave B. brushed aluminum gauge rings//Custom orange bezel
    IN CAR ELECTRONICS - GReddy full auto turbo timer//Viper Alarm//Airflow Logistics air/fuel controller//Sirius satellite radio//Kicker 12" sub

2003 LX

you can still use defrost with out the a/c... however, it will not defrost as fast since the a/c acts as a humidifier and for reasons i dont want to look up causes the window to de-fog faster.
    Im still getting used to it since ive only driven my car once since i did it so hopefully someone will jump in....

hope that helps
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member
    Donated: $25

Spicy Orange MSP #1287

As long as it works, that's all I need. I just hate using my A/C when defogging the windshield.

Donated: $5.73
    Unauthorized DOUCHEBAG

Hey zap, got a question. you think that just closing the switch is sufficient enough to turn on the AC (as if i had pressed the A/C button on the console?)

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter
    Hey zap, got a question. you think that just closing the switch is sufficient enough to turn on the AC (as if i had pressed the A/C button on the console?)
    I beleave so.
    There are two lever switches:
    One turns on the A/C
    The other activates the fresh air circuit.
    www.ZapWizard.com
    -Advanced Computer Modification-

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast