Diff between Corksport Cat-back and Turbo Back??

mattybo

Potential Scammer!
:
2003.5 MSP
what will the difference be between the turbo back and the "catback" version. I looked on corksports website and it says the full turbo back would be 589, and the downpipe by itself would be 170.

Weird part is the catback version is 389. Why would the price increase by 200 dollars when all your adding is a 170 dollar downpipe? Are they including something else like a new S-pipe or what?

You will see more of a difference with the turboback over a catback. A catback begins at the end of the cat and goes all the way back and a turboback starts from the turbo all the way back! Our downpipes are very restrictive so replacing it will show some decent gains in hp

The Corksport exhaust that had the group buy replaces everything but the S pipe and the pipe immediately after the turbo. It replaces both cats. These 2 parts form what Corksport refers to as the Downpipe..
My understanding is that Corksport will be offerring the downpipe later to replace the s-pipe and the extra short pipe that the Group buy exhaust does not replace, hence making it a turbo back.

well i guess im kind of confused.

Look at this picture...

http://www.corksport.com/content/00/01/06/61/73/uploaded.files/CSprotegeexhaust1.jpg

That is where corksport's exhaust begins. What would be different about a turbo back?

Edit: Also i thought the S-pipe was the pipe located directly after the turbo? When you buy an aftermarket downpipe doesnt it connect to the bottom of the s-pipe? Also, why would they sell the downpipe for 170 but add 200 on to the exhaust price? There must be something else they are doing....

Last edited:
I understand that, obviously you didnt read my question. I know the diff between a turbo back and catback exhaust. What you have to realize is corksports "catback" isnt a real catback. It replaces both cats on the mazdaspeed. However corksport is in the process of fabricating a downpipe with an estimated cost of 170. Why would they increase the price on their exhaust by 200 if you could simply buy the part for 170? The catback version is 389. 389+170=559. Why would i spend 589 on the "turbo back" setup if it is the exact same thing as the "catback" except it has the downpipe included?

On that picture, everything back of the circled flange is replaced by the Corksport exhaust from the group buy (not sure what they call it).
The future "downpipe" that Corksport offers will replace everything in front of the circled flange to the turbo manifold.
A cat back would start after (behind) the cats, at the next flange.
As far as i know, iON is the only one selling a complete turbo back right now. $1400 USD.
EDIT: maybe because the downpipe isnt available yet ? And so people have the option of either one ??? From what i have heard, installing a turboback is a lot more labour intensive than the Corksport (cat back).

Last edited:
I understand that corksports exhaust replaces the cats. My only question is does anyone know why they would increase the price of the exhaust by 200 when the only part they are adding on can be purchased by itself for 170?

Any ideas?

P.S. thanks for any input!

mattybo said:
I understand that corksports exhaust replaces the cats. My only question is does anyone know why they would increase the price of the exhaust by 200 when the only part they are adding on can be purchased by itself for 170?

Any ideas?

P.S. thanks for any input!
Call (Corksport) and ask them. You won't get the fact's, unless you find out for yourself.;) Asking people on the forum, is like asking someone who really doesn't know except (Corksport).

Unfortunately i cant get anyone on the phone who knows what they are talking about. I just called corksport to order my set of magencor's and asked if i could speak to anyone regarding the diff between the exhausts. Based off what the gentleman told me, the only diff will be the downpipe.

Those of us who are getting in on the Power series group buy can buy the downpipe at a later time and we should have a full turbo back system ;)

mattybo said:
Unfortunately i cant get anyone on the phone who knows what they are talking about. I just called corksport to order my set of magencor's and asked if i could speak to anyone regarding the diff between the exhausts. Based off what the gentleman told me, the only diff will be the downpipe.

Those of us who are getting in on the Power series group buy can buy the downpipe at a later time and we should have a full turbo back system ;)
Ask for (Derrick), he should be able to help you out!!!(doh)

also realize, that pic isnt of an MSP.. so it looks alittle different.
And yes, the turbo back seems to be priced differently.
Who knows why.

the price makes sense to me. think about it. their "catback" bolts up halfway down the stock midpipe section. i have a feeling that the dp replacement will be just as long in length as the stock one. therefore, that leaves the one 90 degree elbow that bolts up to the dp to be replaced. that's prolly where your extra 30 bucks is going.

Back