Twisty Roads Directory

LinuxRacr

Contributor
:
2001 Mazda MP3
We need a directory with some fun, twisty as hell roads to drive in your local areas. So if you know of any roads that are worthy of the MP3 tuned suspension, post them here! Be sure to include directions on how to get to them and the details about the length. I know of some posted on the site already...

There was a bad ass road between Copperas Cove and Gatesville that was very twisty and hilly too. But you have to watch out for the occasional tank crossing the road and the seldom cow standing in the road as you crest a hill at 100mph.

big_ben said:
There was a bad ass road between Copperas Cove and Gatesville that was very twisty and hilly too. But you have to watch out for the occasional tank crossing the road and the seldom cow standing in the road as you crest a hill at 100mph.

Which road? What is the designated name of the road? Thanks for your input.

Dogtown Rd. in Magalia, CA. Doesn't look twisty on the map, but it is fierce. People have died there. No real tight hairpin-style stuff, slightly hilly and turns that have positive camber banking so you can really build up some speed and put it through the paces. Up in the foothils of No. CA.

Honey Run Rd. Paradise, CA. Almost single lane, super twisty, very scary with a huge cliff lining the entire length of it and lots of blind corners. Long too, runs all the way from Paradise, CA to Chico, CA. People have died here as well. My buddy was trying to run it in his Toyota 4X4 and rolled it off the cliff. He was fine, the truck was only a year new and a complete mess. He was lucky. I used to ride my mountain bike down this road in my younger and far stupider days. It's so twisty I even wrecked my bike on this road getting in over my head.

If I didn't ride motorcycles, I wouldn't have known, but Deals Gap, near Asheville, NC (I think) is supposed to be heaven on a bike, but not too sure about in a car.
In Indiana, we have Lots of GREAT roads. Highway 135 from Morgantown south, about 100 miles. Highways 150 & 450. Highway 44 from Franklin to Martinsville. Highway 252 from Martinsville to Morgantown. All good stuff!

If you're ever in the area you MUST drive on Route 5 between Williamsburg, VA and Richmond VA. there's a 30 to 40 mile stretch with the more twists than a helix. it's lined with trees on both sides so it's really picturesque in the fall - i almost ran off the road once. it's fun to drive these turns fast while scattering the leaves that have fallen. Also Rt 20 heading east from Charlottesville, VA but that stretch is only about 10 miles long but some very mean turns make it worth it - lots of yellow signs

(
)
(
)

Used to drive a Supra , but I must say the handling on the MP3 makes navigation easier but more difficult to drift.

any of the roads by lake travis in austin....youll REALLY test your driving skills here..........

Time to Resurrect this thread. Here is the route we took on the CTC Motorsports Cruise with the milage listed to the left:

Zero Tripometer at Floyd Circle and TI Boulevard

0.0 Left on TI Boulevard
0.55 Right on Valley View Lane
1.0 Stop sign, go straight
1.65 Merge onto N. Central Expressway going North. (hwy 75)
13.80 Exit 33, Bethany Road (Allen Texas)
14.18 Right Turn on Bethany Road (middle lane)
15.20 Look for cops!!
17.39 Stop sign, go straight
17.90 Stop sign, go straight
19.64 Stop sign, go straight (out of city limits
20.49 Left Turn, FM 3286 (Just before Citgo)
24.47 Left Turn, FM546
24.48 Left turn, stop sign
32.60 90 degree right turn (SLOW DOWN, no warning)
33.91 Stop sign, Left turn onto Industrial Boulevard
35.0 Right turn, S. McDonald Street
37.31 Right turn, Hwy 380 E
39.49 Left turn, FM 1827
45.35 Left fork (follow main road, bumpy)
47.21 Sudden left to stay on FM 1827, SLOW DOWN!
50.44 Stop sign, right turn onto FM 545
51.37 Sharp left bend
54.58 Right turn, FM1377
62.28 Left turn, FM 2756
62.29 Stop sign, Right turn on TX 78
69.36 Left turn, TX Business 78
70.39 Left turn, FM 2194
71.41 Take left fork to stay on main road, FM 2194
76.72 Left turn, FM 36
83.21 Stop sign, Let turn on 1562
85.21 Right turn, FM 981
91.30 Left turn, TX 78
94.39 Right turn, FM 815
97.0 Entering residentil/some tight curves, QUIET!
99.16 Turn right into Exxon

30 minute break - zero tripometoer again

Left out of Exxon onto TX 69
0.0 4 way flashing red light, go straight
0.12 Right turn, FM 151
5.30 Stop sign, go straight stay on FM 151 N.
6.60 Entering Residential area, 30 MPH
7.36 Railroad tracks
7.45 Stop sign, go straight
7.53 Stop sign, go straight
7.92 Right fork, TX 69 N.
8.0 Stop sign, go straight
8.54 Left turn, FM 697 W
23.52 Stop sign, Left turn on Dewey
28.60 Possible Speed trap
32.92 Right turn, FM 2729 S
33.02 Right turn to stay on FM 2729
33.13 Left turn to stay on the FM 2729
39.29 Right turn, FM 121 W
40.45 Left turn, Jim Cannon Raod (narrow, slightly bumpy road, no painted lines)
42.69 Stop sign, Left turn FM 3133 S
48.20 Stop sign, Straight onto FM 2862 W (Residential area)
54.10 Residential area, tight curves
54.60 Stop sign, Right turn FM 2862 W
54.76 Stop sign, Left turn Hwy 5 S
55.09 Right turn, FM 455 W
57.04 Stop sign @ US 75

South on US 75 to Hwy 121 S, Exit 38A

Stay on Hwy 121 S Towards Ft. Worth (Do not take Business 121!)
I-35 S to Walnut Hill, Exit 438

Right turn on Walnut Hill
Right turn on Malibu Street to SPEEDZONE!!!

seems to me....if there were enough interest in this....we could get a whole new forum just to post locations of roads that meet this criteria......that way everyone from all over could post their favorite piece of road to run...whether its in their area or not....

Personally I have had to pleasure to drive through most of the lower 48...and unfortunately it wasn't in my P-5.....but I remember those roads very very well....well this last summer I did get to run some of those roads in my p5....but I have a list as long as my arm of beautiful, scenic, twisties all over the country....

the OTHER board did exactly this.....put up a specific forum just to put up favorite scenic and twisities to run.

Its worth a thought.

(stash)

Highway 7, which runs north and south up through central Arkansas and the Ozark mountains.

pick any road in the southwest portion of South Dakota.....around the Rapid City/Sturgis area.....awsome scenery!

in the event you havn't figured it out....there isn't much of this country I haven't driven in.....there are only a few states, 9 to be exact, that I have not driven in.....and yes that includes Alaska and Hawaii (been there).....one of the advantages of being in the military...you get to see a lot of places. :{D

There are two roads in this great country that EVERYONE should have the opportunity to drive in either their favorite car...or on a motorcycle...and they are..

Highway 101 in California and Oregon.....I drove it from Florance Oregon all the way down to Novato California, which is just north of San Francisco.

the SECOND is of course...the ENTIRE length of the BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAIN PARKWAY.

if you ever find yourself in Upstate New York...and are headed to Boston or that general area...then follow this road....don't use 90 to cross Mass......just before you get to Troy Ny, take highway 7 east towards Bennington, then get on highway 9 in bennington, this will take you all the way to Keen New Hampshire where you get on highway 101 and that will take you all the way to Nashua, where you can get on State Highway 3 and take you into Boston....beleive it or not....its not any slower to go this way...as my sis in law lives just north of Boston in New Hampshire and we USE to go across the state on 90....but the last two years we went the other way....the time was nearly the same...but the roads are SO MUCH FUN to drive on in the Pro......nice twisty roads.....LOTS of fun.

and of course if you are in the Boston area and headed to upstate NY...just reverse the directions... (stash)

Last edited:
DEALS GAP is AWSOME on a bike or in a car. One of the reasons I love living in NC. 300+ turns in 11 miles Here is the link for anyone who is unfamiliar with the DRAGON

www.dealsgap.com

I have been down it on several bikes and in a miata, s 2000, my lightning, and my P5. I am not sure which was best because I couldn't get my heart out of my throat and keep my eyes from bugging out of my head on any run. For real though it is awesome definately worth the trip. Really makes me wish I still had my bike.

BTW Bring a change of underwear!!!!!

ONE more....for now.....

Mulholland Drive in LA, California for those of you that don't know what or where it is...its a beautiful canyon road.....commonly refered to as Mulholland Raceway.... (stash)

I wish I still had a card a buddy gave me many years ago when I was in LA visiting...it was a invitation to Mulholland Raceway.....which was a streach of the road that they use to use to race on. the road was awsome. LOTS of twisties.....not for the faint of heart...that was for sure.

Time to update the "twisties" directory. If anyone is ever cruising through Montana/Idaho you must check out Hwy 12. It's about 10 minutes from my
front door and is a real life rollercoaster. Speed limit 75. (drive)

Attachments

• montana.twisties.JPG
    montana.twisties.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 167
FuNwaGoN said:
DEALS GAP is AWSOME on a bike or in a car. One of the reasons I love living in NC. 300+ turns in 11 miles Here is the link for anyone who is unfamiliar with the DRAGON

www.dealsgap.com

I have been down it on several bikes and in a miata, s 2000, my lightning, and my P5. I am not sure which was best because I couldn't get my heart out of my throat and keep my eyes from bugging out of my head on any run. For real though it is awesome definately worth the trip. Really makes me wish I still had my bike.

BTW Bring a change of underwear!!!!!

w3rd. the dragon (really, any road in that area) is sweetness. IMO, one of the most beautiful parts of the country. i was there w/ NASIOC subaru people in the ES a few years ago...good times. definitely do not miss the Cherohala Skyway either.

I've always wanted to go down and run the dragon, but I'm too worried about the cops I see in all the videos....

Dan

The Talimena Drive is great (for our area!). It goes from Talihina, Ok to Mena, Ar, over the mountains w/twisties. Just remember that once you get to Mena it's a dry county...so BYOB!!!

Back