Mazda 3S Sedan 2004 vs Nissan Sentra Spec-V 2004

mikethuan

:
Mazda 3s Sedan
What are your thoughts? I know the Spec-V is a better car in performance but overall I think Mazda 3s has better features/options.

mikethuan said:
What are your thoughts? I know the Spec-V is a better car in performance but overall I think Mazda 3s has better features/options.
Yes the 3 is better with features and options. What are you getting for mpg?

I don't think the SER Spec V is not all it is cracked up to be. I outran a local one twice with my fOCUS ZX3 when it was very lightly modded. The 3 with a good driver and maybe a CAI should be able to take one with no problem.

PR5Matt said:
I don't think the SER Spec V is not all it is cracked up to be. I outran a local one twice with my fOCUS ZX3 when it was very lightly modded. The 3 with a good driver and maybe a CAI should be able to take one with no problem.
Was he trying? I have no problems with any Foci's with my 03 SE-R which has an auto and that isn't even a Spec V. Sorry I just find it hard to believe a Focus beat a Spec V thats all. What does the ZX3 have for hp? What is lightly modded?

Last edited:
Performance numbers from C&D magazine:

SPEC V:

0-60: 7.3sec
skidpad: .88g
70-0: 192'

Mazda3:

0-60: 7.4
skidpad: .87g
70-0: 169'

How does the SPEC V out perform the Mazda3?

The Speed 3 will kill the SPEC V.

i think the spec-v and the 3 would be relatively close overall...but i would give the nod to the Spec-V. the spec-v just has more torque, as well as more power. it also has a LSD. they both handle quite well...so the difference would show when the Spec-v used its torque advantage and LSD coming out of the corners.

based on anything other than performance, i would take a 3s ANYDAY over the Spec-V.

Last edited:
i think the 04 specV looks like sh** cause of that bucktooth in the grill, but performance wise, its not bad

Overall the Sentra is a old design. Nissan doesn't change they designs every 2 to 4 years like Mazda and Honda. The Sentra is really old compared to the Protege and Mazda3. The replacement isn't coming until 06. Believe me the Sentra is showing its age.

I agree. That lil plate in the middle of the grill is the worse design i've ever seen. They should fire their design engineers.

msp10 said:
i think the 04 specV looks like sh** cause of that bucktooth in the grill, but performance wise, its not bad

I took them both out for a drive and the Nissan goes to about 40 mph fast and then tapers off...the Mazda 3 on the other hand keeps going faster and faster and doesn't taper off...Plus the Nissan hesitates a second before givin' in the speed...On paper, the Spec-V has a little higher numbers but on the road the Mazda 3 is the winner in all ways. The Nissan SOUNDS fast and revs nicely but pedal to the metal and it tapers off around 40....Mazda3 wins!

andyfatsax said:
LOL this is hilarious!
No kidding. But back to the question. I own a Spec-V and a 3s Sedan. Driving them both on nearly a daily basis I can easily say that when driven balls to the wall, the Spec wins. For everything else, I prefer the 3.

SE-R Spec V

I have an 03' SE-R Spec V and we just got my fiance' a Mazda 3 S. We love the 3S, great bang for buck $16k range and very modern/stylish' :) Quiet ride and handles very tight.

However the 3S has no lowend power, kinda like V-tec cars' the Rpm's have to be somewhat up to go' where the Spec V around 2500 it has the tq and will pull from there on to redline strong. This car makes more tq than hp!! Now style and such, my sentra is boring compared to the 3 interior and exterior, but on a track w/ lsd and lowend tq in an autocross I think the Spec V would win.

We are going to race both this summer, I am very impressed w/ the tight handling of the 3S, I think it needs more power personally...

For the S model starting at $16k not in style and such, I don't know a new car to compare?? But all out power the Spec V SE-R leaves the 3 S !!!

MarkSpecV/M3S said:
I have an 03' SE-R Spec V and we just got my fiance' a Mazda 3 S. We love the 3S, great bang for buck $16k range and very modern/stylish' :) Quiet ride and handles very tight.

However the 3S has no lowend power, kinda like V-tec cars' the Rpm's have to be somewhat up to go' where the Spec V around 2500 it has the tq and will pull from there on to redline strong. This car makes more tq than hp!! Now style and such, my sentra is boring compared to the 3 interior and exterior, but on a track w/ lsd and lowend tq in an autocross I think the Spec V would win.

We are going to race both this summer, I am very impressed w/ the tight handling of the 3S, I think it needs more power personally...

For the S model starting at $16k not in style and such, I don't know a new car to compare?? But all out power the Spec V SE-R leaves the 3 S !!!
Dude, there are numerous tests out there sighting the cars only .1-.2sec apart, the SPEC V might squeek out a win with equal drivers, but it WON"T be leaving it anywhere.

The 3 is a much more solid and refined car so you don't "feel" the speed as much. I think the "butt dyno" is a little decieving in this case.

Fuel type?

Doesn't the Spec-V run premium fuel. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but I swear I read that somewhere. If this is the case and us Mazda3 owners figure out how to advance the timing then things will even out since the 3 only runs on regular at the moment.

rodslinger said:
And some vehicles are made in Canada. Should we avoid those too?

Japan and Canada are 1st world countries. Mexico is not. I looked at the Spec V but the fit/finish/handling of the Protege5 won me over. I was looking at 2002 models though and I like styling of the 02 Spec V better than the 04's.

THe battle!

Mazda3 said:
Dude, there are numerous tests out there sighting the cars only .1-.2sec apart, the SPEC V might squeek out a win with equal drivers, but it WON"T be leaving it anywhere.

The 3 is a much more solid and refined car so you don't "feel" the speed as much. I think the "butt dyno" is a little decieving in this case.
Well we own both cars' and this summer at the drags/autocross we will get some #'s w ET's and such. My car has Cai, and exhaust, 15.0 @ 91mph. Even stock the lowend power kills the 3S, keep in mind the 2.5L is rated 175hp and 180tq !!! We will keep everyone posted' Don't get me wrong I love our 3S, makes my Nissan boring to drive, but the power I feel is the advantage on the 3S' and limited slip diff..

Yes Premium fuel'

Back