Break-In period?

noway868

i saw some mention of a break-in period... i'm not too familiar with what that means, and what i should do. can anyone give me some tips/recommendations? i'd appreciate it. thanks!

Basically avoid 2 things for the first couple thousand kliks

1) no long trips (by long, I mean driving on hiway all day)
2) avoid hi revs for now

Just drive like a normal human...and you'll be fine.

This is debateable. Everyone has their own program.

This is mine:

In general, I consistently vary the RPM's (don't use cruise control for miles on end) and don't wind the engine out beyond 3500 RPM or so prior to 1000 miles.

I don't wind it above 4000 until 2000 miles.

I take it easy on the brakes. No slamming (except for an emergency, of course). Nice even braking is best.

If I drive on the freeway, i do use the cruise control, but only in this way: set it to 68 MPH, drive a mile, tap up once to 69 MPH, drive a mile, etc.

Anyway, since everyone breaks in a car differently, this is just my opinion. Mileage will vary.

hm.........This is all I know...........Never rev up to 3000RPM when the car is below 3000 KM........I have no idea how many miles is that

basically the break-in period is for new cars so you can work in your motor...you need to loosen up the engine and get everything "in a groove"...this way it will last longer and run better...think about when you exercise you don't just go out and start with strenuous exercises cuz you might pull something...stretch, start slow, etc, etc...it's like the same thing...you're trying not to hurt your car...

some basic rules...

1). keep it under 3k rpm until AT LEAST 1000mi...it's very tempting to go above especially with a manual gearbox...and you'll have to drive pretty slow if you're on the freeway

2) vary your speed...don't just sit at the same speed...

3) try not to accelerate hard...this kind of goes with staying under 3k rpm...just ease the gas when accelerating...

Back