Insurance Help Please?!

BiGx5MurF

:
2004 Mazdaspeed MX5
My insurance company wants proof that my mp5 has abs brakes. I don't have my window sticker anymore, how else can I prove it to them?

If your insurance company was worth a damn they would be able to find out for themselves based on your VIN. So, if for some reason (which I can't think of) they don't have your VIN, give it to them. If they already have it, tell them to look it up themseves. It is not your responsibility to prove it to them. As I remember the P5 has ABS standard so all they have to do is go on www.edmunds.com or www.cars.com and look up the model to see the standard safety features. I mean, what do they want you to do take them out in your car and slam the brakes on a slick surface? Just out of curiosity who is your insurance company?

vodapas77 said:
If your insurance company was worth a damn they would be able to find out for themselves based on your VIN. So, if for some reason (which I can't think of) they don't have your VIN, give it to them. If they already have it, tell them to look it up themseves. It is not your responsibility to prove it to them. As I remember the P5 has ABS standard so all they have to do is go on www.edmunds.com or www.cars.com and look up the model to see the standard safety features. I mean, what do they want you to do take them out in your car and slam the brakes on a slick surface? Just out of curiosity who is your insurance company?
My insurance company is Clarendon National Insurance Company. You've probably never heard of them. But since I'm a self insured 20 year old, none of the big names (Geico, State Farm, Progressive) will insure me. So I'm stuck with crap companies like this for at least another year.

Somehow they also think my car has daytime running lamps, cuz they asked me to provide documentation to support that I have daytime running lamps.

Their exact wording is "Pleave provide documentation to support Anti-Lock Brake discount 2003 Mazda protege 5"

Anyway, I don't know if they have my vin or not, is that the title/id number? because I know they have that. They already have a copy of my registration, but for some reason, they told me to send another one. Will just printing out a web page with specs be enough proof? I don't think it would be, since there are p5's out there without abs right?

Last edited:
Yikes man. That quote from them scares me. I hope like hell you never have to run a claim through these guys. As for the VIN yes if they have a copy of your registration they'l have the VIN. Sounds like they can't find yours since they asked for another. As for proof, hard to say if a print out off the web would be enough, but it's worth a try. Your dealer might be able to get you another copy of your window sticker too. I would think that would be on file some where. I'll look around the web and see what I can find too.

My 03.5 P5 doesn't have ABS, so it isn't standard equipment. They should be able to tell via the VIN. Why not ask them to prove your car doesn't have ABS?

So do I just write in the reply, that they should use the vin number on the enclosed copy of registration to determine if there is abs or not?

808*MP5 said:
Why not ask them exactly what kinda proof they want?
Well they said "documentation", so I'm guessing they wanted they window sticker, which I don't have anymore.

you should be able to tell by turning the key to the on position, and see if there is a yellow abs light that lights up, if not, then you dont have them. another way is to pop the hood, take a pic of the fuse box...there will be an empty spot where the abs fuse would be if you dont have it.

Are YOU sure your car has ABS? as far as I know it's a pretty uncommon option. It's a part of the package that comes with sideimpact airbagas as well which they should also be interested in if you have them. My 03.5 didn't come with abs, and I kind of really didn't want it, call me dumb, but I drive in the snow alot, and perhaps I'm a bit cocky about my driving ability, but I like being able to do the controllong of my car by myself in a slide. *shhh* don't tell my insurance as the senile lady who registered my car automatically assumed that it did have abs and I played dumb to go with her.

according to nonameheroes post, I guess I don't have abs. But when I was buying my car, I specifically asked for it, did the dealer screw me over? I mean, they're supposed to be a reputable dealer in the business for over 40 years blah blah blah, so I trusted them. So does this mean, my insurance gets jacked up more than it already is??? I'm paying $302 a month now as it is, for only liability. Also, I don't get why they sent me a bill already. My first installment which I paid back in January 21st, was a check for $715, shouldn't that cover me for at least 2 months?

drive fast on gravel, slam on brakes,
if brakes = vibration and some horrid noises you have ABS
if brakes lock and you slide into wall you do not have ABS

BiGx5MurF said:
according to nonameheroes post, I guess I don't have abs. But when I was buying my car, I specifically asked for it, did the dealer screw me over? I mean, they're supposed to be a reputable dealer in the business for over 40 years blah blah blah, so I trusted them. So does this mean, my insurance gets jacked up more than it already is??? I'm paying $302 a month now as it is, for only liability. Also, I don't get why they sent me a bill already. My first installment which I paid back in January 21st, was a check for $715, shouldn't that cover me for at least 2 months?
I asked my dealer if the P5 had variable valve timing.. knowing that it dosen't.. and he said it did.. in fact, he said it was a "high quality valve timing system" as I remember it... when you go to the dealer, you must assume that you are talking to monkies, trained to take your money.. kinda like those at the boardwalk.. yanno.. the ones with the funny hats.

btw, no offence to any dealers on this forum.. I just have a thing against car dealers.. sorry

i worked at a car dealership (a mazda one at that!) and they are horrible assholes

yeah the abs does come as a package with the side impact airbags

perhaps they installed it at the dealer at time of sale, and the VIN does not register it as leaving the factory with ABS?

id say go to the dealer and ask for a service record, and make them prove to YOU that they installed it. if not, raise hell and fry their asses. if they did, then take the paperwork to the insurance company.

win win situation for you

BiGx5MurF said:

ABS was on option in 2003.5 that was bundled with side air bags. Do you have side air bags? If you do you have ABS, if not you don't

hey.. is it me, or was leather not offered in the 2003.5. I remember lookin at all the options, and I never saw leather.

Back