A Survey for ALL Turbo Protege Owners

Matthew

Contributor
:
CX9, CX5, i8
Ok, this is meant to be as comprehensive as possible for a good reference. Everyone knows how i like to create threads that encompass a ton of information so they can be referenced later for myself and for newbs (or even veterans).

In this thread i would like to approach the topic of the turbo protege so that we may see how turbos affect our cars and so people in the present and future may decide if that is the route for them. If you USED to own a turbo protege OR you put it back to stock and still own it, still take the time to fill this out!

RULES:
1) dont post if you arent posting your stats/specs, it will clutter the thread
2) since i know people wont ******* listen :rolleyes: your posts will be subject to deletion (once i beg a mod to remove it)...exceptions would be asking for clarification
3) dont bulls*** anyone
4) if your s*** is completely stock (such in the case of MSP, without upped boost)...DONT POST.

Survey (please copy and paste):
1) What car do you have?
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install?
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)?
4) How much and where from (ie - $3995 shipped from www.hiboost.com)?
5) What kind of fuel management are you running?
6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)?
7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)?
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller?
9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc):
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc.
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at?
12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)?
13) Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?
14) Is your transmission slipping?
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using?
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)?
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)?
18) What PSI are you running daily?
19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month?

Please suggest (via PM only) more questions i may add.

NOTE: If you fill out this survey and then add a considerable amount of milage to your car (say, over 5k), keep us updated via this thread! just edit your original post and put when and why it was updated at the bottom (a lot of people dont see the tiny print that says when a post was last edited)...

(a question was asked about specs from non-mazdas):
no this is only for proteges, so that people can decide in the future whether or not turboing the protege is worth it for them. giving them specs and types of turbos on other cars isnt going to help new FI members decide if the protege engine/tranny can handle X amount of power or Y turbo kit.

EDIT: as a matter of fact, to be even more selective, i should state we dont want miata or rx7 or mx6 numbers either.

Last edited:
1) What car do you have?- 2001 Mazda MP3
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? about 14K
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed? BEGI/FM
4) How much and where from? From BEGI (one of the original beta kits) $3300
5) What kind of fuel management are you running? BEGI FPR
6) What ECU are you using? P5 ECU
7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals? None
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? 6.5 Psi- no controller. I do it the oldschool way.
9) Describe your performance setup: Colder plugs, FM 02 voltage clamp.
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Nope
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? Will (the first BEGI install) just dynoe'd at 195 whp I think @ 8 psi
12) Have you had any problems with turbo? None with the turbo itself. Just problems with studs breaking and a small coolant leak.
13) Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? Manual
14) Is your transmission slipping? Nope.
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? My stock clutch lasted 11K after turbo install. Now using Clutchmaster Stage II-R
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes? $175 custom downpipe, $350 guages and pilar, $550 exhaust, P5 ecu = free
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? Yes.

If you USED to own a turbo protege OR you put it back to stock and still own it, still take the time to fill this out!

1) What car do you have? 2002.5 Protege ES (AT - "Sport Mode")
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? Car lasted roughly 4000 miles boosted before blowing the engine.
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)? Prototype Kit for Modern Performance (MPNick & Perfworks)
4) How much and where from (ie - $3995 shipped from www.hiboost.com)? $2500 Installed (they were doing me a favor)
5) What kind of fuel management are you running? MPI Piggyback then, back to stock now
6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)? Stock ES
7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)? None. (does shooting a rod through the block count?)
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? 9psi then, nothing now.
9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc): (then) T3 .60 @ 7psi(spike to 9), Intercooler, Bosch recirc, Racing Beat Muffler, kept stock exhaust piping and 2nd cat
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Never dyno'd
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? Prototype kit never claimed
12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)? Blew off a hose once from the turbo to the intercooler, welded a lip around the edge and put the clamp back on - held fine after.
13) Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? AT
14) Is your transmission slipping? It did a little, but doesn't anymore.
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)? Prototype kit - MPNick took care of everything.
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? took a risk - learned a lesson
18) What PSI are you running daily? 7psi then, with spikes up to 9-10, back to stock now
19) Is this your daily driver? yes If so how many miles do you average a month? 1800

1) What car do you have? 01 Protege ES
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? 2,000
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed? Spool
4) How much and where from? $2,200 from Mazda of Wooster
5) What kind of fuel management are you running? Vortech FMU
6) What ECU are you using? Stock
7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals? None Yet
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? 7 psi
9) Describe your performance setup. 2.5 in custom exhaust, Greddy BOV, Spool stainless steel intercooler pipes, Reddog intercooler
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc. N/A
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? 160 @ 4.5 psi
12) Have you had any problems with turbo? Yes. The manifold was warped. Had to get machined.
14) Is your transmission slipping? No
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? Stock
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes. Spool came with boost gauge. Down Pipe weld- $50, Custom wastegate tube -$60, A/F gauge $45, Manifold machined -$30
17) Are you satisfied with your setup? Yes
18) What PSI are you running daily? 7 psi
19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month? Yes. 1,500

Last edited:
) What car do you have? 2002 P5
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? about 10,000 KM
4) How much and where from (ie - $3995 shipped from www.hiboost.com)? $3695
5) What kind of fuel management are you running? Haltech F10
6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)? Stock P5
7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)? Pauter Rods, 8.5:1 Custom OEM Pistons care of Hiboost (ceramic coated and skirted), ARP Hardware, RCC Gasket
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? 8psi, Blitz DEBC, but 10psi when I feel like it
9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc): Extended Reach NGK Plugs, Hiboost Kit with HKS SSBOV upgrade, stock exhaust, Ceramic coated everything
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? check this thread: http://www.mazdamp3.com/vbb225/showthread.php?t=45673&highlight=engine+rebuild+story
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? 210whp
12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)? Only cold starting (but I have fixed it with the support of juan via the phone), minus 25 Celcius weather, runs perfectly
14) Is your transmission slipping? NOPE
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? Mazda Speed LSD, Clutchmaster II-R, Fidanze Flywheel
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)? The kit doesn't need any welding our new exhaust piping, you only need to buy a boost gauge, my DEFI BF gauges are on the way
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? 100% yes, the car is FAST and reliable...and a daily driver and I drive long distances too. $3995 for a IHI turbo, Haltech F10 and FMIC and a very "show" setup!
18) What PSI are you running daily? 8 PSI
19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month? LOTS

1) What car do you have? Mazda MP3 2001
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? ~10,000
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed? Wagnermotorsports.net
4) How much and where from? 3200$ www.wagnermotorsports.net
5) What kind of fuel management are you running? mpi tuner
6) What ECU are you using? MP3 :eek:
7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals? none...... yet
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? as of this week 10psi... joeP MBC
9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc): 2 step colder plugs, 94 octane always, 2.5 full exhaust.. see sig for rest of my mods.
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc. dyno comming soon
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? 180 or so... not sure
12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)? Nothing major at all... slight oil leak, blew off IC fitting..
14) Is your transmission slipping? Nope ACT ow3ns!
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? ACT
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes? I have spent a fortune personally, i like to waste money(uhm)... all that is needed to complete this kit is a new clutch.. stock one wont hold long.
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? Yes(nana)
18) What PSI are you running daily? was at 7psi.. this past week 10psi
19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month? Yes, 1000-1500

Last edited:
1) What car do you have? 2001 MP3

2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? About 2k

3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)? Modern Performace Inc.

4) How much and where from? Over 5k from Modern Performance Inc.

5) What kind of fuel management are you running? MPI Tuner Piggyback

6) What ECU are you using? MP3 ECU

7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)? None

8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? 8 PSI with no MBC, only internal wastegate

9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc): MPI custom stage 2, FM manifold, Garret T3/T4, full 3" exhaust with a high flow cat and Bullet muffler, FMIC, 2-45lb extra injectors in TB pipe, MPI Piggyback, 1 step colder plugs, Spec stage 2 clutch.

10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc. N/A

11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? N/A

12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)? Installation and tuning in the beginning, but that was because of misinformation from a party that is no longer involved the MPI.

14) Is your transmission slipping? NO

15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? Spec stage 2

16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)? $309 clutch and $50 for the install, about $15 for plugs.

17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? YES

18) What PSI are you running daily? 8 PSI

19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month? NO

1) What car do you have? 2002 MP5

2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? About 6k

3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)? Spool

4) How much and where from? 2,400

5) What kind of fuel management are you running? Vortech FMU 10/1.

6) What ECU are you using? MP5 ECU

7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)? Jspec intake, Mazdaspeed exhaust cams.

8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? 9 psi

9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc): 2 step colder plugs, standard Spool Mani, Greddy BOV, Full FMIC, T3/T4 Turbo, Custom CAI, HKS Mushroom Air Filter, Full Stainless Piping, FM Voltage Clamp, Vortech FMU.

10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc. 205whp @ 9psi.

11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? N/A

12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)? Installation and tuning in the beginning, but I would recommend it highly!

14) Is your transmission slipping? NO

15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? Stock

16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)? About $500 on addons.

17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? YES

18) What PSI are you running daily? 9 PSI

19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month? 2000

1) What car do you have?
Mazda Protege5

2) How many miles on the car since turbo install?
Not sure but it's def over 5k

Completly Custom Turbo Setup

4) How much and where from (ie - $3995 shipped from www.hiboost.com)?
Over $2500 Mostly from Perfwrk(Nick)

5) What kind of fuel management are you running?
Moder Performance Piggy Back Using Stock Injectors

6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)?
Protege5 ECU

7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)?
NONE

8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller?
Boosting at 6psi NON Intercoole occasionally hitting 8psi due to boost creep!(sad1)

9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc):
Upgraded 2.5" Down PIPe, CAI, Colder Plugs, Sparkco Wires

10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc.
Haven't Dyno'd yet..waiting to install my intercooler!

11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at?
well since i basically made the kit..i think i will be near 200hp with intercooler and 8psi!

12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)?
Yes Lots of problems:
-Screwed UP 02 Sensor Wiring due to the Wires being to close to the Turbo(Fixed)
-Stalling while being on boost on going into neutral
-Having to tune problems like popping noise..and occasional stall during start up
-Spark Plug #2 is constantly coming loose..(fixed that)
-Exhuast & manifold leak (fixed that)
-Clutch Slipping
(sad1)

Manual

14) Is your transmission slipping?
No just my clutch

stock

16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)?
Guages: $100

17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)?
no..Becuase i am not intercooled

18) What PSI are you running daily?
6psi

19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month?
Aprox 1k

Chas(nana)

Last edited:
1) What car do you have? 2001 Protege MP3

2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? ~17,000 miles

3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)? Flyin' Protege turbo kit...

4) How much and where from (ie - $3995 shipped from www.hiboost.com)? Test monkey install deal of ~$3,600 for kit and install at FM in Grand Junction.

5) What kind of fuel management are you running? Kit ARRFPR

6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)? Stock MP3 ECU

7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)? None

8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? ~5.5 psi, fixed.

9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc): Stock kit...

10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc. 156 hp ad 177 torque on the stock kit at ~5.5 psi...

11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? "Give your Protege a 6 psi boost! [url="http://www.flyinmiata.com/protege/tech/dyno.asp"]On our dyno[/url], this means 77% more power and 80% more torque at the wheels."

12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)? No real issues. Fuel pump needs to be replaced, getting it down on Wednesday.

15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? Stock clutch

16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)? Only $80 for the upgraded BPV, and $109 for the Walbro fuel pump.

17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? Yes...

18) What PSI are you running daily? ~5.5 psi

19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month? This is my only car, and daily driver. I'm not sure how many miles I average a month...

Last edited by a moderator:
1) What car do you have? 2001 MP3
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? 8k+
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)? Spool
4) How much and where from (ie - $3995 shipped from www.hiboost.com)? $2100 from Blump3turbo for a barely used stage 1, then $900 for an fmic kit from Spool.
5) What kind of fuel management are you running? Emanage
6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)? Stock MP3
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? 8psi w/ a JOEPMBC
9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc): Spool stage 2, upgraded T3, 2.5" downpipe, JIC catback, cold plugs
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? 195whp at 6.5psi
12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)? None really, until the voltage clamp took a crap recently. A new one is in the mail right now though.
13) Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? manual
14) Is your transmission slipping? n/a
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? formerly clutchmasters stage 1, now an ACT street strip with extreme pressure plate
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)? $200 for downpipe fab, $50 for MBC, $450 for emanage and support tool and such.
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? Yes, up until the voltage clamp died.
18) What PSI are you running daily? 8psi
19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month? Daily driver, probably 1k a month

1) What car do you have? 2000 ES 1.8L
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? 40k
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed? BEGI
4) How much and where from? $5000 (included ceramic coated pipes and install) from BEGI
5) What kind of fuel management are you running? BEGI AFPR
6) What ECU are you using? Stock
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? 6psi; manual bleed valve
9) Describe your performance setup: None
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? 130HP/140 #torque @4psi (pre-install dyno @95HP/95 #torque)
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? One off (FM claims are for '01 and newer 2.0L)
12) Have you had any problems with turbo? None with the turbo itself; just problems with nuts, studs and a small oil leak (all now fixed)
13) Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? Auto
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? N/A
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes? Necessary expenses: silicon hose and clamps ($100); other purchases: triple pod and Nordskog gauges ($500), custom hood ($1000), welded intake pipe extension ($20) and thermostat control for fans ($100)
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? Yes
18) What PSI are you running daily? 5 psi
19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month? Daily driver; 2500+ miles/month

2001 mp3
1000 miles on the car since the install
Wagner turbo kit
4500$ from Wagnermotorsports.net(included the install,pods,gauges and custom exhaust)
FMU/Voltage clamp
Mp3 ECU
No upgrades to the internals
6psi
In addition to turbo kit, Adj Cam gears, Mazda speed intake/exhaust camshaft
Will no actaully dyno by this friday(Andy has my car)
MFg Hp claim was 170wph
I have no problems at this time
Manual Trans
Yes Clutch is slipping
Still Have the stock clutch
Very satisfied with the kit
6psi
Yes its a daily driver and I do about 2k a month

This is only intended to show what our Protype kit is making.We are still working on a few things.Other than the normal, we are very happy with the performance.

1) What car do you have? 03 MP5
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? Kit installed at 6,000+ miles.Car now has 38,000+
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed.Mental Addiction (Ours).GT28R w/38mm Tial
4) How much and where from.$3800
5) What kind of fuel management are you running?FMU and Walbro in-tank
6) What ECU are you using .Stock with voltage clamp
7) What upgrades.None
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? 6psi.
9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc):Turbo kit only
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc. 4.5psi 161whp @ 5200RPMs, 6psi 176whp @ 5200RPMs,6psi 181whp @ 6000RPMs.
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at. 170whp @ 6psi
12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)?Ones that did arise have been fixed.
14) Is your transmission slipping? At 4.5psi it didn't slip.At 6psi it started slipping after a few pulls.
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? Spec stage 1.
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)?NA
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? Yes, but are always looking for improvments
18) What PSI are you running daily? 6psi
19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month.Daily driver 3,000-5,000.

Last edited:
Wagnermotorsports Kit (1st Prototype)

Survey

1) What car do you have? 2002.5 Protege5

2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? 8k miles

3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)? 1st Prototype Wagner Kit

4) How much and where from? Since it was a prototype and I was testing it via road racing (hardest test of a turbo) I got it near cost as my development helped increase the quality of the kit. www.wagnermotorsports.net

5) What kind of fuel management are you running? MPI Tuner but installed by Andy Wagner using a different wiring method for better results along with the FM voltage clamp.

6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)? Stock P5

7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)? None.

8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? Run 7-8psi daily driving and road racing. Joe B MBC

9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc): Stock

10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc. 7psi Stock and only modification was a 2.25" cat back yeilds a reliable: 179 whp and 196wtq

11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? About 10whp gain per psi

12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)? Couple exhaust leads at the catback. No other problems.

14) Is your transmission slipping? No, but pops out of 3rd gear even when it only had 4k miles long before turbo'd.

15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? Clutch and Flywheel were defective from Mazda but switched to ACT Stage 1 Clutch.

16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)? Most of the items were included in my price.

17) Are you satisfied with your setup? Hell Yes. Looked around at turbo kits for several months before coming across Andy. Since I have a young child and am a weekend track racer I needed the best in reliability. I met with Andy and checked his references. After going over his quality of work and professionalism I ditched the 3 other turbo kits out there I was still considering, and became his prototype kit (these usually have teething problems, etc. but not with this kit).

18) What PSI are you running daily? 7psi daily and track

19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month? ~1,500 - 2,000

Attachments

• 0198.jpg
    0198.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 184
  • Im000769.jpg
    Im000769.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 174
  • Im000778.jpg
    Im000778.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Img_8652.jpg
    Img_8652.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
1) What car do you have?- 2001 Mazda MP3
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install? 3k
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed? Spool Stage1 modified with a custom FMIC with modified stage3 hardpipes...
4) How much and where from? 1950 for stage 1... total for everything was about 2500
5) What kind of fuel management are you running? Vortech FMU
6) What ECU are you using? P5 ECU
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller? 7psi with a Burschur Racing MBC
9) Describe your performance setup: Colder plugs, FM 02 voltage clamp.
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? no dyno yet
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at? ~200+ whp
12) Have you had any problems with turbo? oil leak from return line.
14) Is your transmission slipping? Nope.
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using? clutchmaster stage 1 but im getting a stage 2 very soon
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes? $150 for downpipe ... $175 for greddy types... probably about $250 for misc parts
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)? Yes

1) MP3
2) 10K
3) custom K26 turbo setup
4) 1600 from chdesign
5) Weapon-R AFPR(i do not recommend this fpr)
6) Protege5
7) None
8) 4psi daily, and 6-9psi on the weekends. JOEPMBC
9) K26 upgraded wheel, sparko wires, colder plugs
10) not Yet.
11) N/A
12) None with turbo
13) 5spd
14) only at 9psi
15) stock
16) 100 gauges, 200 2.5" exhaust
17) Yes
18) 4psi
19) 500-1000

1) What car do you have? 97 LX with a GTX motor swap
2) How many miles on the car since turbo install?10k
3) What kind of turbo do you have installed (ie - HiBoost, Wagner, Spool, etc)?VJ-20 off of the GTX
4) How much and where from (ie - $3995 shipped from www.hiboost.com)?can't disclose
5) What kind of fuel management are you running?Haltech E6K
6) What ECU are you using (ie - Stock P5 in a MP3, Stock, etc)?Haltech E6K
7) What upgrades (if any) have you made to internals (ie - Pauter rods/pistons)?Lighten flywheel, Better flowing head (94 Pro)
8) How much PSI are you boosting, and with manual or elec controller?two settings 12 (low) and 15 (high)
9) Describe your performance setup (ie - Spool stage 2, Jspec cams, UD pulley, cold plugs, etc):GTX turbo everything, custom spearco intercooler, 2.5" turbo back exhaust, (soon to have corksport cams)
10) What did your turbo dyno at (if ever dyno'd)? Give specifics like mods at the time, psi during dyno, etc.163 whp at 8psi 184 ft/lb torque, will dyno again this march at 15psi
11) What does the manufacturer claim the whp at?- - -
12) Have you had any problems with turbo (please describe in detail, but not TOO much detail that it takes up a whole damn page)?only had probs before the Haltech tuning, fixed now.
13) Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?MT
14) Is your transmission slipping?only slips if i run the car hard over a long period of time, due to glazing, but after light driving it's fine
15) If manual, what type of clutch are you using?ACT
16) How much have you had to spend in ADDITION to what the package price includes (ex - $300 guages, $450 new exhaust, $100 weld dump tube, etc)?too much
17) Are you satisfied with your setup (yes/no...if no, why?)?yes. only 2nd gen with this setup, sleeper car, whoops on everything in its path...from msp to es330, from GT mustangs to the "extreme" chevy truck...
18) What PSI are you running daily?12 psi
19) Is this your daily driver? If so how many miles do you average a month?yes. 2000k

Back