Ugh, 23 hour shift at work.

Mike R

Contributor
Just got home. Worked from 10am yesterday until 9 this morning. 23 hours of overtime, and that was just one day! Still have at least 12 more hours of OT on this check! My paycheck should be awesome. Can you say NEW STRUTS, Sway Bar, AND HEADER!
(nana)

Plus, the "dedication" to the job finalized my promotion. Just need to find out how much more $$ I'm gonna make!

Well, I was an Engineering Assistant (grunt and Go-fer), but now I'm a full fledged Broadcast Engineer for FOX News Channel. Which means I still and a grunt, but I have even more responsibilities and hopefully a much better base pay.

Yeah man. Im very curious to where you work. I mean I worked 13 hours yesterday, came home to a 2 keg party cause my pop went to Myrtle Beach to golf, didnt go to bed till like 3 then up today and working at 11. I couldnt imagine a 23 hour straight shift. (uhm)
Jason

hey, if you don't mind my asking - what does a job like that pay??

I'm just curious - I'm in the IT field.

Yeah, today is my daughters 3 b-day party. So happy that I got home. Learned alot about Avaya Intuity Voice mail. Our VM went down thursday at 2:30 pm. The VM server was a 486SX 25MHz and the 2.1GB HD crashed. The thing was 8 years old, and unsupported. I and a guy in NY had to get another box and start from scratch yesterday morning. Couldn't even use the backup tape from the old box, had to load the 200 employees into the system manually.

Well, I was making $27.12/hr last night/this morning. Hope to be making more than that non OT with the promotion.

holy s***!!!!!! you entered 200 employee's infos by hand? AND WHY IS THERE A 486 in the work place anyways? it should be atleast a 486 DX2 jeeze.. people these days... 2 gig is pretty big for a 486 lol

Mike R said:
Yeah, today is my daughters 3 b-day party. So happy that I got home. Learned alot about Avaya Intuity Voice mail. Our VM went down thursday at 2:30 pm. The VM server was a 486SX 25MHz and the 2.1GB HD crashed. The thing was 8 years old, and unsupported. I and a guy in NY had to get another box and start from scratch yesterday morning. Couldn't even use the backup tape from the old box, had to load the 200 employees into the system manually.
AWESOME!!!! I used to have a 486SX/25 too... the 33Mhz had the math co-processor... that used to piss me off... lol.... but my HD was 133MB.. WHOOT! :D

oh and what OS were you running... did it have trouble detecting the full HD space?

RyanJayG said:
AWESOME!!!! I used to have a 486SX/25 too... the 33Mhz had the math co-processor... that used to piss me off... lol.... but my HD was 133MB.. WHOOT! :D

oh and what OS were you running... did it have trouble detecting the full HD space?

We have a similar setup at one of my jobs. I honestly don't know the OS in question but I would assume it was windows 95 (which would have been capped at the 2 gig limit per partition. This also would depend on the mobo chipset on the i486 - again it's been a long time.)

Interesting thing about CPU design back then. CPU's were binned much differently then. On the 386 chip if a processor had both the processor and the co-processor functioning - it was binned as a DX chip. If the processor was functional , but the co processor was not - it was binned as an SX chip. If the processor was non functional, but the co processor was functional - it was binned as a co processor upgrade chip.

Probably one of the most frugal moves intel ever made in their manufacturing processes at the time.

Mike R said:
Well, I was making $27.12/hr last night/this morning. Hope to be making more than that non OT with the promotion.
I hope you get more than that also. If not I would consider using a consulting firm. There is plenty of money to be made in this industry.

Micah said:
We have a similar setup at one of my jobs. I honestly don't know the OS in question but I would assume it was windows 95 (which would have been capped at the 2 gig limit per partition. This also would depend on the mobo chipset on the i486 - again it's been a long time.)

Interesting thing about CPU design back then. CPU's were binned much differently then. On the 386 chip if a processor had both the processor and the co-processor functioning - it was binned as a DX chip. If the processor was functional , but the co processor was not - it was binned as an SX chip. If the processor was non functional, but the co processor was functional - it was binned as a co processor upgrade chip.

Probably one of the most frugal moves intel ever made in their manufacturing processes at the time.
'xactly

The systems run UNIX, ther's NO WAY windows could run reliably. The system was 8 years old, which is incredible since this was the first and last major failure. I actually found the HD's for a whopping $20-and ordered 3. Gonna try a little more to fix the old one. But we also are purchasing a NEW(!) one as of tomorrow. Gonna fix the old one for a backup.

I feel your pain I just put in 24 hours of class this weekend alone...that makes a total 70 hours of school this week.

ToBeBackDoc said:
I feel your pain I just put in 24 hours of class this weekend alone...that makes a total 70 hours of school this week.
At least I was getting paid, you are paying for that. Which hopefully will help you make some $$....

Mike R said:
At least I was getting paid, you are paying for that. Which hopefully will help you make some $$....
Oh if you only knew. I had to pay $2000 alone for one test coming up which doesn't include my $100,000 tution. By the time I graduate I'm gonna need a six figure job just to keep from going bankrupt.

Back