How TO: CEL/MIL Eliminator!

acidbug

ZoomZoom CX-5
Contributor
:
‘19 CX-5 GTR Tu
PLEASE MAKE THIS A STICKY or Locate to the How To!

I have seen lots of questions about how to make your own MIL/CEL Eliminator..

Well its really simple!

Tools Needed:
Wire Cutters
Soldering Iron
Solder
Electrical Tape
1-M Ohm Resistor ($1 at Radio Shack)
1-uF Capacitor($1 at Radio Shack)
Adjustable Wrench

Step1:
-Pop Open the Hood and get a look at the 2nd Oxygen Sensor
-There is a clip..Push the clip in and pull out the Male-Female Connection
-Using Adjustable Wrench Remove the Oxygen Sensor

Step2:
-Go somewhere you can use your Soldering Iron
-Cut the Blue Wire
-Remove the Sheathing on the White wire to expose the Copper Wiring Underneath
-Grab you 1m Ohm resistor and solder it into the bluewires you cut earlier
-Grap your 1uF capactiro and solder it into the wire that you unsheathed/exposed & than solder it on the connector side as show on the Pic!
-Grab your electrical tape and make sure you do a good job covering all the conections

Step3:
-Reinstall using the reverse directions in step 1!

Typical install time is 15-20min depending on your ability to solder!

Chas

Attachments

• 02sensor_wiring.jpg
    02sensor_wiring.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 15,951
  • 1st o2 sensor.jpg
    1st o2 sensor.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 10,359
Last edited:
*Quick note, You might need to reset the ecu. But i did not have to!

how to reset ecu:
-Remove negative terminal to the battery
-wait 5 minutes
-reinstall the negative terminal to the battery!

Most common reasons to do this:
Install of a header that removes the 1st cat or both.
Turbo back that removes 1st cat or both!

When you remove either of the cats the ecu picks up that 1 of the cats are reading inconsistency(sp?) in the exhuast gasses which causes the Check Engine Light!

Chas

Nice work!

The other option is to lengthen the wires and place the second O2 sensor after the second cat, this too will get rid of the CEL. But if your car is gut-less, whoops, I mean cat-less, than this is the way to go!

I have my 2nd O2 behind my high flow cat and when it's real cold, I get a P0421 code saying "Warm Up Catalyst below threshold (Bank 1)". Would doing this get rid of this CEL??? What do ya think Beavis??? I only have the 1 high flow cat and a 3" exhaust.

Little Beavis said:
Nice work!

The other option is to lengthen the wires and place the second O2 sensor after the second cat, this too will get rid of the CEL. But if your car is gut-less, whoops, I mean cat-less, than this is the way to go!
Yeah..that's a good way to go..but for the price..it's worth doing..instead of having to lenghten wires and such!

I have my 2nd O2 behind my high flow cat and when it's real cold, I get a P0421 code saying "Warm Up Catalyst below threshold (Bank 1)". Would doing this get rid of this CEL??? What do ya think Beavis??? I only have the 1 high flow cat and a 3" exhaust.
it should defeintely fix your code..i don't have any codes..and i have had this mil eliminator on my ride since the days i had a header!

Chas
:)

i know this is old, but is this exactly the same as the APEX MIL eliminator, what exactly does it to electricly to the system? is it reversable?

zmepro said:
i know this is old, but is this exactly the same as the APEX MIL eliminator, what exactly does it to electricly to the system? is it reversable?
This is absolutley reversable(sp?)...It's just like the apex mil eliminator..but without the extra $$$ associated with purchasing it!(yes)

Basically what it does it tells the ecu that everything is normal..aka the car is not running rich...

Chas

what does the ecu look for? temp? oxygen level? doesn't that change? or is it a constant thing (on/off) or is it variable?

zmepro said:
what does the ecu look for? temp? oxygen level? doesn't that change? or is it a constant thing (on/off) or is it variable?
Basically the ecu compares the 2 oxygen sensors..to tell if it needs to add more fuel..or subtract fuel..or to throw a cel light..

Basically when you remove the 1st cat..the 2nd oxygen sensor will notice that there is alot more emmisions coming out...so by using the mil/cel eliminator..you trick the ecu into thinking that everything is ok!

Chas

Thats a good question zmepro, I've been wondering the same thing for a while.

Acidbbg, great how-to, I'm going to try this one tonight!!

zmepro said:
so if i didn't have the MIL it would cut fuel or run too rich?
Basically it will just throw the cel...It has been said that it would cause the car to run in limp mode(car runs really rich..to prevent any further damage)..but it has never been proven!

Chas

i think i remember a thread where someone had a a/f guage readings while the CEL was on and it was richer.
I also have compared milage on a trip with and without CEL and i do get terrible gas consumption with it on.

Well i had a cel..and i have a a/f guage..not a wide band..but an autometer! And didn't notice any difference..Other than bad gas mileage..but that's b/c i drive hard!

Chas

So I was just thinking and this is for all you FI people. Wyh don't you try putting the first O2 sensor behind a cat so when it reads it will think that more fuel is needed so it adds more fuel and tada no more lean condition or correction by the ecu

melicha8 said:
So I was just thinking and this is for all you FI people. Wyh don't you try putting the first O2 sensor behind a cat so when it reads it will think that more fuel is needed so it adds more fuel and tada no more lean condition or correction by the ecu
i don't think that would help at all..the only thing..that really works..is the flying protege vaccum switch..which tells the ecu...that the car is running lean as hell and not to pull fuel!

Chas

ok quick question...so if i remove both cats would I have to do this to both o2 sensors or just the 2nd one?

DSMConvert said:
ok quick question...so if i remove both cats would I have to do this to both o2 sensors or just the 2nd one?
Just on the 2nd one! I know for a fact b/c i had a header on the car and removed both cats..and just put it into the 2nd o2 sensor!

Chas(yes)

Back