Gear Selector

+ friction

Contributor
:
P5
Gear Range Selector

Has anyone had to replace their "gear range selector" (at least this is what the service department was calling the part) on a P5?

I have an AT P5 w/less than 9,000 miles on it. I was driving on Saturday and the check engine light came on and the AT light was flashing. It was stuck in 3rd gear (apparently to lessen possiblitly of damage from extreme RPM's), so it was sluggish and not willing to rev to high, nor would it slide into tiptronic mode.

Anyway, took it in this morning and service says the part that has malfunctioned is a "gear selector," which must be ordered.

Anyone had this problem, and doesn't 9,000 miles seem a bit early for part failures?

EDIT: Sorry, just remembered that one employee at the dealership referred to the part as a "range selector."

Last edited:
Happened at 9,000 miles and now again at 11,000...anyone else have trouble w/their gear range selector??

blaxer said:
I think one more and you officialy have yourself a lemon!
Yep...now I'm stuck w/a rental Neon yet again. I've just emailed my salesperson and asked him about "trading down" for a manual '02 w/almost no options on it. My car is pretty loaded, and I love the color but if he does not screw me in the deal too much, I'm going for it.

Luckily, both times have happened within a mile of my house (which is within a mile of the stealership). I'm beginning to not trust the AT and cannot afford to get stranded on a trip to Illinois or, for that matter, even to work. I bought a new car and I expect it to be dependable.

holy sh-- you had it happen to you twice already!! sorry to hear that man.. start reading up on the lemon laws in your area and go for the 5-speed next time :)

fkmp5 said:
holy sh-- you had it happen to you twice already!! sorry to hear that man.. start reading up on the lemon laws in your area and go for the 5-speed next time :)
Will do on both counts...I have a feeling I have not approached "official" lemon status in SC, but I will check it out. This sucks because I really like my '5...and I've always somewhat regretted getting the AT.

I'll report back if anything comes of all this...guess it is not such a big deal but, as I said, when you buy a new car you expect some level of dependability.

Well, here is the update. After two trips to the dealership last week (and a cumulative total of 4 days without my car), they replaced the "relay" - whatever the hell that is (I'm not too mechanically inclined). Anyway, they claim this will resolve the issues with my '5.

However, I travel out of state so much that I simply don't trust my tiptronic anymore, so...I have traded down to an '02 manual P5. Goodbye laser blue, moonroof, autodimming mirror, sub, leather seats, etc., etc. and hello peace of mind.

BTW, there is certainly even more of a "fun factor" with the manual. I still miss my luxury econobox though.

Man, I keep hearing about all these problems with the AT. I think that I am turing into a hypochondriac. I think I hear my tranny making noises and I'm like,"what was that", "did the tranny just make a noise"..

I think i am loosing my mind...

lol

SilvrProtege5NJ said:
Man, I keep hearing about all these problems with the AT. I think that I am turing into a hypochondriac. I think I hear my tranny making noises and I'm like,"what was that", "did the tranny just make a noise"..

I think i am loosing my mind...

lol
If it dies like mine did, you'll know it! Sudden slipping to 3rd gear (up OR down, doesn't matter), and the AT and CEL light flash like crazy. It was scary the first time, and just pissed me off the next two times.

Hopefully I am trouble-free in my new (to me) manual P5.

how many miles do you have on your new car? what color? did you have to pay anything at all?

ChuEy826 said:
how many miles do you have on your new car? what color? did you have to pay anything at all?
I went from a loaded laser blue 03.5 w/11,xxx miles to a black mica 02 w/21,000 miles (and no amenities). I don't know how terribly I got screwed, but I was upsdide down on my car so I expected to take a hit. I lowered my payments by about $21 a month, plus I made them exchange my old rims and tires for the older ones.

Love the 5-speed, but miss the leather and everything else on the 03 - I even just dropped $150 on tint on that thing. Oh well, peace of mind I guess...

Edit: Oh yeah, I threw in about $300 downpayment on the trade.

As an aside on my trade-in: I received a late payment notice last week on my loan for my 03 P5. The dealer never paid it off, nor did my bank know that I had traded.

Anyway, I went into the dealer and the finance consultant I worked with is no longer there...mine was not the only one he screwed up. Long story short, the dealership hooked-me-up for my inconvenience. They added gap insurance and lowered my payments by another $18.00 per month. :D

Thanks man.

Forgot to mention that they also pushed back the date of purchase, allowing me an extra month without a car payment. This will pay for my tint job this weekend and almost half of the dishwasher we have to replace as well.

Things worked out for the best - they were very professional without any persuasion on my part. I was able to remain my usual passive, non-confrontational self. :)

Props to Stokes Mazda on this one!

you should ask for some of the options from your old car to be transferred from the old car to the new. it really shouldn't take them more than a couple hours of work and you could have the best of both worlds. they may not want to do it at first but you have to stick to the point that it was their screw up (Mazda in general) and you shouldn't have to take a 10k mile, 18 month older car hit. try it and see what they say... (dunno)

oh yeah, congrats on the new ride, shifting yourself is fun (wrc) (rofl2)

PhreakMP5 said:
you should ask for some of the options from your old car to be transferred from the old car to the new. it really shouldn't take them more than a couple hours of work and you could have the best of both worlds. they may not want to do it at first but you have to stick to the point that it was their screw up (Mazda in general) and you shouldn't have to take a 10k mile, 18 month older car hit. try it and see what they say... (dunno)

oh yeah, congrats on the new ride, shifting yourself is fun (wrc) (rofl2)
I hear ya...I asked about adding some options, but it just did not pan out. I was, however, happy to have my 03 wheels and tires swapped out. For some reason they just appeal to me more aesthetically (plus the tires had 11k fewer miles on them).

I did not officially have a lemon. In SC it is 3 strikes. I just did not trust the car anymore.

More drama to report on the trade-in financing fiasco. There was a msg. on my machine when I got home last night..."We have good news, we found an EVEN better deal on your trade. We can knock off another $11 from your monthly payment."

Well, knowing they (Stokes Mazda) didn't call out of the goodness of their heart, I was suspicious. Called the lender for my '03, and it is STILL not paid off. Well, I called the dealership this am, left a huffy msg about it, and they returned my call an hour or two ago.

Now they have contacted the lender, explained that it is the dealership's fault, and will knock down my monthly payment by $22 bucks. Although I have to go in and sign more papers, I am now down to $40.00 less on my monthly payments. This is worth the aggravation of multiple trips to the dealer - I only live a mile away ;)

I'll let you know their explanation for the latest screw-up (that is, if I understand it).

For anybody following my trade-in experience in this thread, I got ANOTHER call last night from the financing bank. My 03 P5 (which I traded on APRIL Goddamn 4th) is now 37 days past due in my name. Going down to the dealer again today (this will be the 4th time I have signed papers to purchase my '02).

I'm getting very, very pissed now...

Back