MPI Tuner Library

Matthew said:
how much time you think it will take to tune my p5 with a w/b and stock injectors at like 8-9psi?

i need to pay someone to show me EXACTLY what settings to use at that psi :)
With two people, we tuned the car well at 8-9 psi in only an hour. Though we had to "touch it up" a week later (but very minor).

Rich, the maps look better. . .my personal opinion would be that you don't need any action from the extra injectors before you're in boost, maybe 3000 rpm or so. You should be able to handle all your fuel needs at that point with the stock injectors. But that's just my opinion. I'll have to post my injection map later (can't right now).

Last edited:
Matthew said:
how much time you think it will take to tune my p5 with a w/b and stock injectors at like 8-9psi?

i need to pay someone to show me EXACTLY what settings to use at that psi :)
Well since you can use chas' map as a starting point, I'd say definatly less than an hour tops. You might not even need to change anything, if your setup is like his. I played with mine from scratch and it took about an hour more or less to get it to where I'd like it. There is some more tweaking I need to do, but it's damn hard by yourself.

sorry, I had to edit......I did not tune the igniton map at this time, I used Beavis', so the hour was for the stock injectors(had a base map) and the extra one(from scratch)

i think there is a difference (not sure how much) because my car is intercooled right?

Matthew said:
i think there is a difference (not sure how much) because my car is intercooled right?
Mine is intercooled..and my maps are very conservative. I have -8 degrees timing up top..

Chas

what kind of HP numbers do you think youre pushing at 8psi? how much of a modification will it be to get the map to run on 91 octane?

how much modification for 9 or 10psi?

Little Beavis said:
...Rich, the maps look better. . .my personal opinion would be that you don't need any action from the extra injectors before you're in boost, maybe 3000 rpm or so. You should be able to handle all your fuel needs at that point with the stock injectors. But that's just my opinion. I'll have to post my injection map later (can't right now).

As always, thanks for the advice. I actually ended up doing pretty much that when I was making changes today. I left the analog map alone, and pulled some fuel back from the injection map below 2500rpm.

acidbbg said:
Also you should add some timing down low..this will help turbo spool..

Chas

I haven't added any timing yet because I am still a little sketched about tuning the ignition map, and I don't know how much timing was added when my car was flashed. Better safe than sorry untill I can tune on the dyno.

505zoom said:
As always, thanks for the advice. I actually ended up doing pretty much that when I was making changes today. I left the analog map alone, and pulled some fuel back from the injection map below 2500rpm.

I haven't added any timing yet because I am still a little sketched about tuning the ignition map, and I don't know how much timing was added when my car was flashed. Better safe than sorry untill I can tune on the dyno.
Actually timing is only bad..when you have timing and boost..so what i am saying..is to see where you hit boost..i notice w/ my t3 i start to get boost at about 2100rpms..so i added some timing..up until there..and pullled timing..everywhere else.

Chas

Anyone has the Stock Fuel control MAP for a stup with FMU? any PSI, I need one at least for a good start. Im already running the MPI but without the extra injectors

Beau is doing something similar using FMU. If you need mine..let me know!

Chas

igdrasil said:
Anyone has the Stock Fuel control MAP for a stup with FMU? any PSI, I need one at least for a good start. Im already running the MPI but without the extra injectors
what is your goal? im hoping for 10psi, with fmu, on stock injectors. i am hearing from several people that they have had to combat lean issues here and there. some at idle, some at WOT occasionally...

what are people doing for different lean issues? i would rather be rich and safe, i know that. i also know its all in tuning, but hopefully we could help each other out, and i like to have all the info possible prior to my install.

igdrasil. . .hook the fmu up to the turbo and run a small 2:1 (or maybe 4:1) pill in the Vortech. That way the FMU will not be lagging. It will see boost before the engine ever does. . .lean spot will basically go away. I think you can pull it off with a small ratio like that. Otherwise, yeah, I think you'll have lean spots to deal with.

Note to those running an FMU - don't trying this with a 10:1 or 12:1, it will mess you up.

Matthew said:
so with the mpi tuner you will run lean?
No, only if the FMU doesnt pushes pressure up in some circumstances.
Its an FMU issue. Thats why I want to get rid of it.

Sometimes the FMU doesnt pushes all the pressure needed on some ocasions.

I mean, depending on current air temperature or current boost or any other circumstance.

That was without the MPI, now I will need to tune with MPI and see how they workout now on my car.

Sometimes I think this vortech FMU is a bet on my engine.

oh for sure. Vortech FMUs suck. That's why I have a BEGI now. Talk to Beau (pm MAMotorsports) and tell him I sent you to look for a BEGI FMU...he could get you a pretty damn good deal more than likely.

EDIT: wrong thread to discuss other issues.

Maybe is not a wrong thread, is good to discuss that FMU is not a good idea when you are running the MPI, is like a patch...a failure point. Where the MPI is a good unit, the inestability of the FMU can screw up things and make the programming a bit difficult.

My friends 10sec car has a MSD Rising Rate just like BEGI's unit, and he can see how sometimes the car runs rich and sometimes lean. AND HE ES RUNNING ELECTROMOTIVE FULLY PROGRAMABLE.

We want to run a bit safer....then retard a bit more timming just in case, and run a bit richer than 12:1.

11:1 should be good enough to make those "lean spots" reach 12.5:1 or 13:1 where is not that dangerous when you have retarded timing.

So In my case I will try to dial 10:1 on my Greddy A/F.

Im saving some more money to the Dyno and see how the Greddy compares to the wideband on the dyno.

Last edited:
igdrasil said:
Maybe is not a wrong thread, is good to discuss that FMU is not a good idea when you are running the MPI, is like a patch...a failure point. Where the MPI is a good unit, the inestability of the FMU can screw up things and make the programming a bit difficult.

My friends 10sec car has a MSD Rising Rate just like BEGI's unit, and he can see how sometimes the car runs rich and sometimes lean. AND HE ES RUNNING ELECTROMOTIVE FULLY PROGRAMABLE.

We want to run a bit safer....then retard a bit more timming just in case, and run a bit richer than 12:1.

11:1 should be good enough to make those "lean spots" reach 12.5:1 or 13:1 where is not that dangerous when you have retarded timing.

So In my case I will try to dial 10:1 on my Greddy A/F.

Im saving some more money to the Dyno and see how the Greddy compares to the wideband on the dyno.
High 11s is as rich as you will need to be. Anything more is killing your power.

Thanks again

Later......NIck

Back