MPI Tuner Library

When i orignall save as jpg..it was a 1000k file..when i changed to bmp..it turned into a 450k file..

Chas

Also, if you hold "Alt" while pressing "Print-Screen", it will only grab the currently selected window. That way you can grab just the MPI Tuner window, and not your whole desktop etc :).

Chris

sucks talking about attachments instead of "tunning"

I have one question to all of you MPI tunners:

WHY you guys retard too much on high rpms?

Nick, jump here and teach us a bit about tunning ignition timing on turbo. I thought that I had to do some retard on mid rpms and then advance again on high rpms in conjuction with fuel injection, more fuel on mid rpms and leveling on high rpms.

I have an MP3, so I have more timing advance then the P5. If I were to reduce the amount of retard up top, I would get some detonation, that's why I have -4 at WOT.

Bigg Tim said:
I have an MP3, so I have more timing advance then the P5. If I were to reduce the amount of retard up top, I would get some detonation, that's why I have -4 at WOT.

I understand that, which is logical, but how about WOT on 6krpms...

I think I will need dyno time to tune my car.

igdrasil said:
I understand that, which is logical, but how about WOT on 6krpms...

I think I will need dyno time to tune my car.
For a given level of boost you will probably get more horsepower to bring back some timing at the top end, but since our motors seem to be relatively weak up at the top (cams?) I don't know how much can be had. At the high rpm, everyone is going to be at full boost, so they're really pulling timing relative to the boost rather than w.r.t. the rpms. Just a thought.

I'm not FI so I don't know too much about this tuner. Have you guys experienced any problems with the ECU taking control and altering its curves to become stoich

Keep in mind that one "unit" of timing retard DOES NOT EQUAL one degree of timing.

acidbbg said:
When i orignall save as jpg..it was a 1000k file..when i changed to bmp..it turned into a 450k file..

Chas
You sure it wasn't a 100K file? I've NEVER heard of a jpeg version of a BMP picture being bigger. Based on the jpeg algorithm, that's pretty impossible. Or maybe your machine is buggy. :) play around with it a bit.

igdrasil said:
sucks talking about attachments instead of "tunning"

I have one question to all of you MPI tunners:

WHY you guys retard too much on high rpms?

Nick, jump here and teach us a bit about tunning ignition timing on turbo. I thought that I had to do some retard on mid rpms and then advance again on high rpms in conjuction with fuel injection, more fuel on mid rpms and leveling on high rpms.
I have seen to many people with hot rod cars blow head gaskets over the years. The only wide band I trust is on the dyno. So I set the cars up with timing out up to redline. If you tune to max on the street you have no room for error, if anything blinks you can kiss your engine good by. I tune on the safe side when I road tune. I had a lot of timing out on the MSP and he still ran 13.7s. With 100 gas and dyno time I know he had alot more to go. On any turbo car you will make more safe power with a little more boost and less timing then the other way around.

Two year ago at the Mopar Performance Viper Shoot Out at E-Town I had one of the Big Viper tuners from Texas tell me I was full of sh_t.[not the first time I have been told that] We were all talking about dyno numbers and they claimed to be making 563 RWHP with their car. We only made 548 RWHP. My cars just took first place in both the street class and the mod class for the third year in a row, best run of weekend was 10.80@131. He did have a dyno sheet and it did show that he had more power then us. The problem for them was we were running as much as 11 mph more then anyone in our class. He told me that the dyno we use must be wrong, I told him that the dyno they use must use that famous Texas Fuzzy-Math[sorry Pat]. The bottom line is if you tune your car for the perfect day you have better only drive it on perfect days. The air that weekend was terrible, it had rained and it was very hot, most of the two days the track was over 100 degrees. We had room in our tune. I had not tune to the max, with the extra timing out we never came near detonation.

Thanks again

Later........Nick
BTW, we had him by over 40 lbs of torque to the wheels[578].

Kooldino said:
Keep in mind that one "unit" of timing retard DOES NOT EQUAL one degree of timing.

the manual says so...

NEVERMIND:

I got some maps from Nick, I think they are from a Mazdaspeed, I think I may need to adjust the stock injectors injection to match mine or not?

Last edited:
igdrasil said:
the manual says so...

NEVERMIND:

I got some maps from Nick, I think they are from a Mazdaspeed, I think I may need to adjust the stock injectors injection to match mine or not?
You will still need to make adjustments for your car. No two cars are ever the same. Once you get it running do a few data logs and send them to me. I can then help you tune it better.

Thanks again

Later.........Nick

whats the relation between the numbers entered in the unit and the actual timing of the car.

so if I input -4 on the MPI, whats the actual timing for say: @4000rpms

Chas would be your best bet.. Everyone else is running xtra injectors. I believe i read you were gonna use larger injectors.

LinuxRacr said:
Yeah, I have Chaz's map, and I modified it a little. Still working on it though.
Linux..The map that nick gave you is from my setup..not sure on the date..but recently we changed up many of the settings!

Things to consider about my map!

1. My turbo probably don't spool up as fast as yours so you will want to have the turbo module come on sooner!
2. Also you will want less timing down low..as well as more fuel b/c of reason 1!
3. I don't have a wideband..so i am running really rich uptop! So you will want to pull full and add some timing uptop!

i have updated maps...i will try to post them by tomm!

Chas(cheers)

p.s. with your pda obd II scanner..can you tell if the inectors are maxing out?

Back