Best all around all season tire?

slenser

Contributor
:
06 6s 5 speed
Looking at replacing my stock dunflops and need something that will get me better traction all year around (I live in IA). These stockers have been horible in the snow, but with the winter nearing an end and I'm taking a trip to FL in the next few weeks, I don't need winter tires now. I would, however, like to have something that will get me around better next year than these did.

I did a search for all season and only got 3 results. Everyone seems to be interested in snow tires or dry/wet performance tires.

Thanks for your help, folks!

Sam

your best bet is to read the tire reviews on www.tirerack.com. just input make/model then click on tires. for the P5, you may also want to look at size 205/50R16 since some excellent tires come in that size but not our stock size (195/50R16). from what I've heard/read, a good choice is the Yokohama AVS100. Excellent in the dry, good in the wet and acceptable in the snow (MUCH better than the stockies). Decent price, too. I'm thinking about these when it's time to replace the stock tires.

Did a search online and asked my local tire guy. They both said BFG Traction, so I bought them. A bit more tire on the rims (205/50/16), but not too bad. Besides, it will read a touch less on the odometer :D I've had it for about 10 mos and have 21k on the car. BTW, my stock tires were never rotated and had many many more miles on them. Probably more if I had actually rotated them.

Looking at the stock Dunlaps, it's no wonder why snow traction sucked. There's a wide solid block down the center. How do they rate all season? damn

"all season" and "M+S" (for mud and snow) are a joke. they are based solely on the tread-to-void ratio and have nothing to do with whether the tires are safe in mud, snow or all seasons. it seems that pretty much any tire can get these ratings.

I have found the Continental contiExtremeContact to be surprisinly good in Winter for an "all season" tire. Take a good look at those.

Well, just in the little driving I have been doing on thes BFGs, I love em.
Hell, they could have wrapped a turd around my rims and it would have been an improvement, smell and all! :D

Less slip on wet surfaces or ice and much better channelling of water. Better traction on dry as well, but that could be just from upgrading to 205's.

what about the BF Goodrich Traction T/A VR? It seems like it might be a good all-season. Hard compound so I'm guessing it will have a long life.

I got a set of Kuhmo ASX's for my 17's. They seem OK in the dry and awesome in the rain, no winter with them yet-and I doubt they'll last that long anyway.

Back