91 mazda has ROUGH idle...

jaggerdee

my 91 mazda has had a really bad rought idle on it for about 6 months. i just recently got it and over the last 6 months it has gotten worse. i am new to the mazde line, and i was wondering what could cause this problem, other than the spark plugs and wires. when i am driving the engine performs good, but when it gets to idle it just seems like it wants to die. is there a idle control motor that might be going out? i got a 4-cylinder in it, and it has 160,000 miles on it.

well, me and my dad listened to the engine and it sounded like air was coming out of somewhere, but we couldnt find it. we sprayed some soapy water to see if the engine started running different, but nothing happened. i guess it's more looking if nothing else comes up.

search.gif

How bad is the idling? I owe a 1st gen 91 Protege LX.... the idling sometimes drop below 750 rpm (stock idling speed). If your idling speed is screwing up: reasons that I experienced with

1 - weather too hot... so when idle it wants to lower than 750rpm
2 - ur alternator is dying!!
3 - water in ur engine (happened to my friends 00 protege)

if none of these appear to be the reason
take it to ur mechanic.

good luck!

when i was idling in park, i opened the door and the automatic belt engaged and the idle went worse until the seat belt stopped. so what i am going to do is change my ground wires like some other forums and some mechanics have told me to do. i changed the wires, rotor and cap and the idle got better but it wasnt fixed.

Check the piping... if she went over a speed bump fast, it may have cause a hole in the pumping of the engine... hasnt happened to me YET.. lol

yeah, maybe your battery is also low. If the altenator is weak it will overwork the battery and vice versa.
Try changing the battery to a better battery.

-- You should also change the pcv valve and also clean the throtle body plate.

hmmmmm i dunno why the throttle was ruff when the seat belt thing, because the seat belt has nothing to do with n e thing
Id suggest checking the cable, when I first got mine, it was running rought and I check the throttle cable and it was slakking, all u need is like 2 pliers and then it can easily be tightend and ur idle will return

Latest posts

Back