how does the tire pressure monitoring work?

eting_pro5

:
'03 Pro5
I was wonder how the tire presssure monitoring on the 3 worked.

does it only tell you when tires are low?
does it tell you what the pressure is, or just that it is low?
does it tell you which tire?
where is all this displayed?
how well does it work? additional comments?

eting_pro5 said:
I was wonder how the tire presssure monitoring on the 3 worked.

does it only tell you when tires are low?
does it tell you what the pressure is, or just that it is low?
does it tell you which tire?
where is all this displayed?
how well does it work? additional comments?

From the manual it seems to work only when the readings are out of the normal range. So if it falls below 32psi a signal lights. A tire gauge would still be needed to confirm which tire.

i was told that the light comes on when the tire pressure is 10 psi below the tires rating, and then it starts to make a binging sound until you address the issue, i can let you know when mine does it (i try to stay on top of things before the car needs to tell me.
shag' :cool:

hmm...so it's pretty much worthless. most of us who keep proper care of our cars will check before it ever goes off, and since it's not constantly telling you the exact pressure in each tire, we'll never let it get to do it's work.

yeah, pretty much

its for lazy people, wifes or moms how don't keep track of things like that, and really do need a little litgh to tell them (usually that doesn't even get the point acrossed) the only up side of having the tire pressure sensor is yo automatically have XENONS!!!!!! nice!
shag' (boom01)

shaggin'wagon said:
its for lazy people, wifes or moms how don't keep track of things like that, (boom01)

You'll change your mind when you check the air pressure in your tires before a 500 mile road trip and pick up a nail pulling out of your own driveway. That slow leak that dropped your air pressure to 15 psi and counting may not be noticable on a straight line going down the interstate but the damage to the tire may have been done. Having that light come on at least gives you a heads up and may save you from having to buy a new tire. Or worse yet, finish the trip on the spare because yours isn't repairable and nobody within 1000 miles has a replacement. You may be able to take good care of your car but you can't drive down the road with a tire pressure gauge stuck to the wheel.

I thought it was trivial too but it came with the HID lights. We actually picked up a screw in the tire of our new 3 sometime on the way home from the dealership the night we picked up the car. I pulled over immediately when the light came on and heard the air coming out. I checked it right there and it was at 25 psi and dropped to 15psi by the time I got the spare on and it in the trunk. From that experience, I'd say it can be a useful feature.

any way to disable the damn thing?

I 'screw' around with tire pressures to get optimal handling, so that tire pressure suggeston on the sidewall is just about crap for me. I check pressures everytime I get gas, so it's not a big deal.

And if you don't know that you have a slow leak when the tire pressure is 10psi, there is something wrong with the butt dyno as the car will definitely be ill-handling.

Back