Digital Camera Purchase

eting_pro5

:
'03 Pro5
Hey guys and gals, I'm asking for a digital camera for my birthday, which basically means I get to pick one out! I'm in the $200-$300 range. I don't have many needs, other than relatively large images (12 inches x --inches or so)

I'm relatively well versed in digital photography, i've worked with many different Sony cameras in my HS newspaper class.

Right now i'm leaning toward either a Sony DSC P32, P52 or P72 at the moment.

I'd love to hear anyones feelings for or against this camera, along with any suggestions anyone has. Please give me more than just a camera name: price, megapixels, neat features

thanks for your help!

this is easy

Canon A80.

4meg, awesome flip screen, still takes aa's, compact flash, best glass in the industry. I tell everyone to get one.

I have a G5, and I love it.

I have an A70, great camera, 3.2 good optics, Canon makes extra additional lenses for it (and the A80) also. (telephoto, closeup, and wideangle)

I got my wife one of those little Canon Digital Elph 3 megapixel cams for christmas and it rocks. The pics look great and it's nice and tiny. Not much zoom but defnitely the best combo of quality and portability if that's your bag.

i've never been fond of sony optics. i like canon's for their lenses. nikons also have nice optics. i'd stick with a major camera manufacturer when buying a camera. i've got a canon g3 and i love it, although it's probably out of your price range. go for an a80 of if you want a compact camera, get the elph.

I love my Elph (S300).. You can't go wrong with one of the A-series cameras either, or a Sony DSC-P-series.. It all comes down to how much you're willing to spend and what features/size you want

jlanger said:
I have an A70, great camera, 3.2 good optics, Canon makes extra additional lenses for it (and the A80) also. (telephoto, closeup, and wideangle)

I have the same plus a telephoto lens. Great camera. I took pics from across the Indy 500 track at cameramen on the roof with no pixelation

I have a Casio Exilim EX-Z3. It is tiny, but it has a nice 2 inch LCD on the back and has a decent zoom. However, I do not recommend it if you take many night shots. I don't and I like being able to toss it in my pocket and not lug around a lot of stuff. I also like having a metal case and non-proprietary memory. The ELPH line is nice too.

Here is a review of it: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/ex-z3.html

I believe my bf has the Canon A70 and he is very happy w/ it. He likes being able to use regular batteries and he has larger hands, so he doesn't feel like he is going to drop it. I suggest making a list of the features you are looking for in a camera and then see which ones match your list. Also, make sure to actually go and test them out in a store.

normal batteries are great in the sense that you can get them anywhere....but I'll never go back to them

My Canon G5 is unreal for battery life. I charged it once before xmas, went all through xmas, new years, 3 birthdays in January, and it's still going. 300+ pictures so far. And that's with AF on and the flash and using the screen with every pic and while taking video's not to mention playing them back on a tv to show everyone. Amazing. Apparanty you can get over 400+ pics on the lithium battery back supplied.

I know a few people with the a80 as well, and a70 ( both take AA's), and I don't know canon does to optimize battery life, but their doing something right. We got a agfa/hp here at work...2-3 hours top on 4 aa batteries with the screen on....LOL

lithium has far better life, but their expensive. Then again I got a spare battery from ebay for like 10 bucks.

newf said:
normal batteries are great in the sense that you can get them anywhere....but I'll never go back to them

My Canon G5 is unreal for battery life. I charged it once before xmas, went all through xmas, new years, 3 birthdays in January, and it's still going. 300+ pictures so far. And that's with AF on and the flash and using the screen with every pic and while taking video's not to mention playing them back on a tv to show everyone. Amazing. Apparanty you can get over 400+ pics on the lithium battery back supplied.

I know a few people with the a80 as well, and a70 ( both take AA's), and I don't know canon does to optimize battery life, but their doing something right. We got a agfa/hp here at work...2-3 hours top on 4 aa batteries with the screen on....LOL

lithium has far better life, but their expensive. Then again I got a spare battery from ebay for like 10 bucks.
Both of my batteries for my S300 Elph are horrible! I hope its just the batteries going bad and not the camera draining them out so fast. (I got the camera used)

I have the Kodak Easyshare DX4330, I don't think they make that exact model anymore, but they make better ones now in the 200-300 price range. I really like mine, takes great pics, it takes videos too but they are the greatest. I know some people say that Kodak doesn't know anything about digital photography, but I think they nailed this one!!

You can't go wrong with the Canon A70 or A80. The A70 might fall more into the price range and it's an excellent camera. If you can swing for the A80, I'd get that just because the movable screen is really quite handy. I got the A80 for the girlfriend for Christmas and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

Hey guys thanks for your help. After doing some more looking I've narrowed in more on the A70/A80 and some Nikons (I think the 4300)

I really like the idea of changeable lenses which both Canon and Nikon offer. I'm kind of edging away from the Canon do to its use of conventional batteries. I'm not after a small camera i can slip in my pocket. I want a camera that I can take godd pictures with, along with allowing for some adjustments and artsy things. Hopefully this camera will be a starter for a future interest in photography.

Does any one have any beef with Nikon products? Any comments on the Nikon Li-ion battery? I'm guessing it works just as well as the Sony Li-ion batteries.

The Cannon Powershot A70 is one of the best mid-level cameras on the market. It has everything you need to point and shoot, and has additional features that you will learn as you go (instead of tossing it for a new camera in a year). I read alot of reviews for cameras in the $200-300 range and no one had anything negative to say about the A70. Do a search on google for it.

Also, be cautious about buying a digital camera online. The prices may seem cheaper but it could be a hassle if it breaks. I'd rather walk into a Staples/Best Buy/Office Max with my broken camera and have it replaced on the spot. I'm not saying your camera is going to break, I'm just saying that it is difficult to deal with online stores when it comes to returns/exchanges/warantees.

Back