DRUM TO DISC brake CONVERSION!!

Maz2001MP

Contributor
Im doing this conversion on my 2001 lx 2.0 need some help and info on parts i need for the conversion.. anyone know????

get the pro kind.. ;)

something like this

5000red_01.jpg

bigger pic

2001 with four lugs would require a five lug hub, calipers, rotors, brake lines, possibly the master cylender, brake pads of course, and five lug wheels, and you'd need to do it for front and back to have proper perportioning, plus wheels to match the five lug pattern.

you can also swap with a 2000 ES they are 4 lugs and have disk on the back

Javo said:
you can also swap with a 2000 ES they are 4 lugs and have disk on the back

Only 2001+ ES are equipped with rear discs and were also equipped with 5 lug wheels. The equipment listed above is a pretty good detailed description. There were some 1st gen pros with rear discs, but the 98-2000 ES had drums on the US models.

Last edited:
There may be some other fiddly bits to get, but if you pretty much get the hubs and everything outside of that, you'll be set. *nods* Good luck. =)

flat_black said:
20and you'd need to do it for front and back to have proper perportioning

could you explain that a bit more.....does that just mean the brakes would squeeze at different forces (unless both front and rear are replaced with same equipment) causing the car to possibly brake unevenly and lost control?

Yeah, there may be a difference in force between the two different models of car, if there's any difference in the lines/brake booster/master cylender. But since they're so similar, I doubt it, to be honest.

flat black is right, you'll need a proportional valve, that little suppose to give out the different pressure to the front and back wheel cylinder.

it's almost not worth the hassle unless you got the part dirt cheap.

25percent is all the back brake do in term of stopping power.

Check the Protege FAQ!

It has part numbers and everything you need to know about the conversion...

Back