super glue "clouded" my tailight...

Onatrum

:
2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Hey! Did you know when super glue heats up it kinda makes a cloudy fume that can make clear plastic look...uhh...NOT CLEAR?

I didn't!

Well I need advice from those of you who already knew the answer to that question. I used little red bulb-covers I found at Autozone to make my rear turn signal bulbs flash red. Well they didn't fit perfect, so I used drop of super glue to hold them in place on the bulb. But many hot days in the sun made the housing for the turn signal (the middle circle) turn cloudy.

Is that possible to clean off?
Or do I need to buy new taillights to make them look pretty again?

Thanks in advance!

of course it does that! haven't you ever watched CSI lol...they use superglue to find fingerprints in a closed space, after the fumes spread around they make the prints visible...so it'll do the same thing to clear plastic and stuff

lol interesting! after careful observations, I noticed there are no fingerprints on the inside of my tailight assembly...now the part about removing the fume...

That sucks bro you should'nt have went ghetto and just bougth the clear titanium signal bulbs that look clear when off and when on turn red! :rolleyes:

as far as I know you're stuck buying new ones if you want to get rid of the clouding. its the same principle why you can't use super glue to put on the DaveB rings in your dash... rule is: super glue = fumes; fumes + enclosed (heated) space = cloudiness that you can't be rid of. :(

OH NO!! that must have been terrible!...yeah the glue vapourizes and forms a cloud..well i hope u could do something about it ;)

Vulcanon said:
of course it does that! haven't you ever watched CSI lol...they use superglue to find fingerprints in a closed space, after the fumes spread around they make the prints visible...so it'll do the same thing to clear plastic and stuff

also in Beverly hills cop

The fumes from the superglue cause a chemical reaction with plastic and that is why you get the cloudy. In the end it won't come off. Silicon is best when sealing light housings.

well thanks for all the replies!

After gaining so much knowledge, I believe there is one thing that will make the problem go away...money! :( If the cloudiness gets worse, I might invest in new taillights.

I know Chrome Altezzas are $185, which I think might enhance the look with the Lexani's.
Does anybody have a general idea what stock tailights would cost? Or anyone with an opinion on which would look better?

Thanks again for all the insight!

*EDIT* Ohhh yeah, where can I find those clear titanium signal bulbs Subghetto ?

Last edited:
Onatrum said:
Does anybody have a general idea what stock tailights would cost? Or anyone with an opinion on which would look better?

Thanks again for all the insight!

*EDIT* Ohhh yeah, where can I find those clear titanium signal bulbs Subghetto ?

Stocklights are definitely going to run you more than altezza's, personally I like the stock tailights more. The altezza trends is got a little out of hand and they are played out. I would recommend either stock or the euro spec taillights (EDM).

BTW.. You can purchase the clear titanium signal bulbs here-

bulbs

Those are #7443 which are the correct bulbs for the rear

Back