How to: MSP knob on a P5 shifter

:
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
IT EASY ! Its just that no one has tried hard enough.

the P5 and the MSP share the same shifter, they just have different thread adapters on them. its a big steel peice that is pressed on to the shaft. To get the MSP knob to fit you have modify the knob, not the shifter.

Ok first off, It easy just put tthe knob in a vise, be sure to wrap it in masking tape and some rags to keep from marring the knob and the leather.

Now cut at the very base of the knob, flush all the way through. Take your time and go slow, you dont wanna slip and hit the knob.

After your done clean it up about with a file and your almost ready to mount it. Now you have to make the hole in the boot a little bigger so it sets flush on the shaft adapter, a file does the job well, just make sure not to put a hole in the boot.

after that, test fit the knob by ascrewing it on all the way, "SPARCO" may not be striaght. Buts its ok, if not simply get a 12mm diameter washer and place it on the shaft on top of the boot. Now screw the knob down. It should line up.

doesnt work, I tried that first, the knob wont go low enough on the shaft to get a good bite with the screws and still get the cover on it, and because the shaft is tapered it vibrates alot comes loose.

It worked for about 5 miles then the knob came off in my hand.

Last edited:
Can somebody please explain this how-to in more detail please? After reading the above instructions, I find myself just staring at the Sparco MSP shift knob I recently purchased used from krillin on this forum. I can't get it to fit my TWM short shifter.

Help

when i was shopping for a short shifter i was told that i'd have to go with the b&m. that's the reason why i went with that instead of the twm. the sparco seemed to fit without any problems. can anyone confirm this info for us?

Or you can buy a used msp shifter, or other aftermarket short throw shifter. Then, when the P5 is sold, totalled, etc , you can resell the knob here. :)

Good idea though, I like it a lot.

Well, I think I've figured out what needs to be cut off. It's everything after the base of this shifter that includes the holes for the "set" allen screws and where the universal rubber sleeve is supposed to sit. Once that's cut off, the knob's threads will screw on to my TWM shifter.

I'll try to post a pic later to help others understand.

How-To with Pics

Here's how I managed to modify a Sparco MazdaSpeed shift knob to fit onto my TWM short shifter.

0) Here's the shift knob, untouched
step0.jpg

1) Unscrew the bottom sleeve that hides the set screw holes
step1.jpg

2) Prepare the knob by wrapping it in rags to protect it during the next steps as shown in the pic
step2.jpg

3) Clamp the knob down to something and saw off the end with a saw that's suitable for cutting through metal, as shown in the pic. Take your time and be careful, and use long, straight strokes. Add some WD-40 or your favorite lubricant as you saw, it makes it a lot easier.
step3.jpg

4) Once you've cut off the end, file it down until it's smooth.
step4.jpg

5) Install and enjoy!
step5.jpg

Last edited:
Problem: Is there a way to mount the cylinder type MSP knob to a TWM P5 short shifter?

-The knob I have is not the cone shaped sparco one above. I have the cylinder knob that says Mazdaspeed on the top.
-I can't cut it like the sparco one, there is no bottom part to screw out
-The knob hits the collar on the SS. No threads get screwed in at all.
-Any ideas on mounting this knob?

not trying to be a smart ass but, jb weld. seriously, how often are you gonig to takeout your shift knob or your short shifter.

Nutella said:
Problem: Is there a way to mount the cylinder type MSP knob to a TWM P5 short shifter?

-The knob I have is not the cone shaped sparco one above. I have the cylinder knob that says Mazdaspeed on the top.
-I can't cut it like the sparco one, there is no bottom part to screw out
-The knob hits the collar on the SS. No threads get screwed in at all.
-Any ideas on mounting this knob?
I have the TWM shifter and the original MSP Sparco shift knob. Before cutting off the bottom end it was also hitting the collar on the shifter. I believe your only option is to cut off a bit at the bottom.

nope can't cut it because I'd cut into the leather. there's no extra bottom extension to cut off like the sparco knob.

re: the JBweld, hmm that should work. But I'd NEVER be able to remove the knob at all right? What about epoxy or some s*** like that

Nutella said:
nope can't cut it because I'd cut into the leather. there's no extra bottom extension to cut off like the sparco knob.

re: the JBweld, hmm that should work. But I'd NEVER be able to remove the knob at all right? What about epoxy or some s*** like that

Eh, epoxy's just as permanent as JB. Isn't is essentially the same stuff?

Back