pros and cons of coilovers

your mom

I was almost discourage from getting coilovers when I called a speed shop today. They said that they are only good for show and the would damage the car and the shocks and that they are noisy. They also said that they do not match the car's height and they lost me after that. Is this true?
They also said that they do not carry or install any sleeve type coilovers like GC and Skunk2 bacause they have had too many problems in the past. they recommend real coilovers, but I do not have $1500 for "REAL" coilovers. thanks

All the proteges P4 and P5 that I have seen that have been race cars or setup for racing have had Ground Control coilovers. I have them sitting in my room I haven't installed them yet because I am waiting to get new shocks and sway bars.

All the proteges P4 and P5

what tha hell is this....a "P4"?!?!?!??!?:eek:

were are all these names coming from....the "MP5"....and now the "p4"......whut the hell is goin on....there is only one "MP"...that is the one and onley MP3!!!!!!

NYCZMP3

You should get this clear....Yours might called a MP3 but that doesnt make you special......You seem like trying to tell the p5 owners that we suck coz our car is not called MP3........
MP5 means Mazda Protege 5....whats wrong with that ??
MP3.........means................mazda.......protege........3..............

But I have no idea what is a P4......:confused:

Honestly, if you have an MP3 and you buy Ground Controls, you're can drop it upto an 1.75 without really damaging the shocks, Tokico claims 2 inches. I say 1.75 to keep things safe. For those of you who don't remember, us MP3 owners have Tokico HP's which will be fine with a moderate (1 inch) to slightly aggresive (1.5 inch) drop. Now if you were to cough up some major dough, you could get the JIC FLT-A2's which allow you to adjust the perch height, which let you lower the car without affecting the stroke of the shock.

P4 is just short for the sedan since the P5 stands for Protege 5 door P4 would be short for Protege 4 door. It is amazing the world that opens up once your eyes and mind are working together.

your mom said:
I was almost discourage from getting coilovers when I called a speed shop today. They said that they are only good for show and the would damage the car and the shocks and that they are noisy. They also said that they do not match the car's height and they lost me after that. Is this true?
They also said that they do not carry or install any sleeve type coilovers like GC and Skunk2 bacause they have had too many problems in the past. they recommend real coilovers, but I do not have $1500 for "REAL" coilovers. thanks

The suspension on the MP3 does make noises, but every car that I have been in that has suspension modifications also makes the same kinds of noises. I lowered my old Saturn and it made funny noises. But those Intrax springs lasted another 120,000 miles. It is not going to be comfortable, I knew that before I did it. But I love crusing around on the lowered suspension. OOh yeah, I went about 3,000 miles this past week, and NO PROBLEMS on the new GC coil overs.:D

Back