MP3, MSP and P5 Engine Management solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
AutoBox said:
damn nick u teasin us bad.....when can u have more concrete specs out? like fuctions and all...and these sub packages and upgrades u talk of?? also pricing too :)
I will get a compilation of all the features we plan to run for each system. Then brak it down into pricing, Availablity and function.
This will be posted as soon as tommorow and into this week.

Go Mifune said:
Very nice. Has there been R&D for all the models so far or just the P5?

Also could you rate the difficulty of installing and tuning this system. Along with what kind of tools a person would need in order to properly tune with it.

Also a recommendation of supporting mods. for a MSP install of your system.
The P5 is used as a base R&D tuning vehicle. It incorporates the same FS engine as both the MP3 and MSP. The managemnt that can be had will be available for ANY protege. Regardless of the engine or performance level. This unit will work for any model.
On a scale of 1 - 10 , The hardest being 10; the install would be at -100 ;)
You remove your stock ecu from the metal assembly holding it to the floor pan and unclip the ecu harness with a ten mm socket and ratchet. Then with the supplied harness you incorporate the new EMS and (if applicable) the stock ecu along side in the NEW housing WE provide. TUNING- Will be simple. Many of the untis will come completely pretuned. Similar to your stock ECU;)
Others wil have room for "error" built in allowing the NEW wide band O2 to self and auto tune your engine. It is very simple. We take all the hard work out of getting reliable and proven performance.
Supporting mods for the MSP- I will be glad to go over any modifications with you about your vehicle. Please PM me and I can get you a good checklist to start with.

igdrasil said:
I have one good question

does this systems monitor ping/knock and references it to retard timing, for a protection?

agreed, cant wait to get all the specs. if not j&s here i come

azian6er said:
nick i know we have discussed this before, but what advantages would this PnP aem unit have over the haltech e6x?

-B
Brian,
They are many reasons in the first post that state WHY I chose the AEM over any other units.
More specifically the ease of software. It is completely user friendly and updated constantly. First class hardware in the units and Above all the best Tech support you could imagine.
There is no need to run Alter coolant sensors and TPS etc. All the stock sensors can be utilized. Whether or not it is recommended is another case. As is the case with the stock MAF.
Haltech NO pnp
There are alot of reasons , I just wont start to put down other units. My opinion is this is the best and most powerful unit out right now. It is also a GREAT compromise on price in comparison to the spectrum of Haltech VERSUS Motec

tonkabui said:
if the price stays as far south of $1K, i'm definitely saving up... this is excellent!
There has not been a set price yet. We are trying our best to keep costs down. It isnt easy with all the work it takes to bring this to the market. The units will come in many versions.
At the end of my posting I will give you all some prelim pricing and what comes with the unit. Along with options.

YuYuRena said:
So this is an AEM, how about Motec?? Is the project still going on? Also AEM running in parallel right, so the stock ecu still controls the engine accessories right? So if I go full stand-alone, how is that going to be solved with the AEM? And you have different versions are they just software versions? It's still the same AEM EMS hardware right? So if we get 1 map can we get another map from you later on? So say like 1 for fuel efficiency and performance over stock, 1 for all out track racing, 1 for safe mode, and the ability to go back to stock ecu for emission testing purpose? Thanks for your time.

1500k is not bad for a well tuned engine with the ability for future tuning to your taste. Yea you can buy these bolt-ons blah blah and get !#%#@ amount of hp gains at like $600. But I think this is a 1 time investment that is well worth it's value in gold. I rather have a balance smooth engine that is not only powerful, but efficient. It's all about balance.

The thread on Motec is here:
http://www.msprotege.com/vbb225/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42793&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
Hey YU YU, the Motec is a fantastic unit. UNfortunately it is WAY to expensive to bring out to the market . The basic PNP Motec we are designing is in upwards of $2600. It just isn't going to be something that we feel is warranted right now. Just wait till we do our drive by wire setup for the Mazda 3;)

Last edited:
YuYuRena said:
So this is an AEM, how about Motec?? Is the project still going on? Also AEM running in parallel right, so the stock ecu still controls the engine accessories right? So if I go full stand-alone, how is that going to be solved with the AEM? And you have different versions are they just software versions? It's still the same AEM EMS hardware right? So if we get 1 map can we get another map from you later on? So say like 1 for fuel efficiency and performance over stock, 1 for all out track racing, 1 for safe mode, and the ability to go back to stock ecu for emission testing purpose? Thanks for your time.

1500k is not bad for a well tuned engine with the ability for future tuning to your taste. Yea you can buy these bolt-ons blah blah and get !#%#@ amount of hp gains at like $600. But I think this is a 1 time investment that is well worth it's value in gold. I rather have a balance smooth engine that is not only powerful, but efficient. It's all about balance.

The thread on Motec is here:
http://www.msprotege.com/vbb225/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42793&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
Also I will get back to your questions in a post regarding all the options you pose.

again, Im glad Andrew and Nick work on my car. :D Great job guys, and Im sure we can discuss this more in depth next weekend. :D

AutoBox said:
yeh i hope they make a version south of 1g that still controlled fuel and timing......at least fuel ?!?! i cant see myself puttin a $1500 ems on my daily driven car that isnt plannin nuttin major to it
No matter which version they get the unit will control ALL of the fuel and timing curves. The available options, I will post very shortly after I finish answering some more general questions.

122 Vega said:
I am very interested, but what are the advantages to keeping the factory ECU? Wouldn't it be better to just run the AEM all the time? Can you switch between multiple maps programs? Like if I had an MP3 and an MSP could I switch it between the two? Also, will this control the speedo and the alternator? Is there a way for it to keep the alternator running so the lights don't flicker on and off all the time?

Thanks,

Britt
Very good questions. I will focus mainly on this for one big post in just a couple minutes

xelderx said:
Still won't solve my damn State Inspections problem. I'm curious about using this unit as a full standalone until the one day I have to inspect my car every year and use it as a piggy-back for that day. Will that work?
We have quite a clever design for this. But for now, the stock ECU is only used to control various outputs. Such as the stock DASH. The reason we went to PNP is to have the ability to plug the stock ECU in for OBDII. If the enduser follows the specific guidlines we will provide, the emmisions testing will be just as good as stock. Actually MUCH better in the fact we will reduce the emmisions from the tailpie, by tuning for the specific application. Rather than generalized mapping and relying on the CATALYTIC converter to clean up our mess.

AnthonyO3 said:
so with the PNP program, for us Mp3'ers could we run nitrous safely?
We will have the abilty to do COMPLETE nitrous control in any gear, load , temp level, ANYTHING.
Again it is much more efficient The AEM that is, with your stock internals but not a cure all. MY recommendation will always be to strengthen the bottom end. We have great pricing for those who need and want a complete short block ready to drop in.

mp3moose said:
Finally the thread arrives!
Will this unit be pretuned for NA and boost applications or will each unit need to be tuned according to mods on the individual car? I hope pricing won't be killer because I definately want to investigate this further.
moose
PS. Need a beta tester? =)
The tuning will be simple. WE WILL HAVE IT READY FOR YOU!
Just tell me about your mods and thats all. Injector size, cam upgrade FI , NA no problem. I will scale it for your particular application. The mapping will be premade by us. I will go into this further

tonkabui said:
i'm with equinox on this one... something that leans out the mixture, giving a little better performance and a little better fuel economy... all under $1k. otherwise, i'd rather just go turbo for $1500 and live with a rich mixture... or something.
Im sorry Tonka but it will not be under $1000.:(

yikes, looks like i may be out also....a grand is a lot for an NA computer.....just off the top of your head, what would be the gain of your AEM PnP for a P5 with intake, header, exhaust and cams??

If this number is greater than 50whp then I am back in and the wife be damned.

igdrasil said:
Because they post about something without even releasing it. 1st page doesnt say anything either...most turbo people here know what they want....they need to know how much is going to cost, and FACTS.

:rolleyes:

Bringing 1k out of the pocket is not so easy, at least for me. Im saving for the J&S but if I find this solution better by the mid february, I will buy it.
Igdrasil if you read my post again you will not see a list for a GB or "people contact me now for this product"
It does state however that we are working on bringing this out very shortly in the comming weeks. We will provide all the necessary info on the unit and follow up with R&D results via dyno and real world tuning.
I dont know where all this pricing is comming from.
I will be posting some general guidelines soon.

midnightracr said:
This sounds very promising. The main question is... just how much boost will a person be able to run on stock internals safely around town? Oh please say at least 10-11psi with the Wagner kit
It depends on the size of the turbo NOT PSI.
The wagner kit is pieced together perfectly for someone looking to run stock internals and moderate boost. The AEM will alllow the boost level you wish but efficiently and not fighting the ECU to get it.
I will go into why in a big post below. There is alot of info I want to share about this.

Nick and Andy, this is absolutely amazing...I have been waiting to hear about this for months, and I am really excited :D...

And men don't quabble about the price yet...No full standalones are cheap once said and done, that is a given...Nick/Andy's work appears to be set up to the point where you simply pop it in, rather than spend 1k+ on the unit, 300 for dyno time, and additional cash on sensors and installation...If it comes out to be 2 grand, it still is a bargain...If it offers way more than what you are looking for you don't need one...But through a good standalone is the only way to make BIG reliable power, NA or FI...and with this system is where some light will be shed on the FS's true ability as an NA engine...

Also for anyone looking to get some more general info on the AEM pnp's, you can check out www.aempower.com ...They have a full list of its features and detailed specs...I am assuming the units Nick and Andy are working on are of the same variety, just tailored for us by them, rather than AEM...

Last edited:
Installshield 2 said:
Nick and Andy, this is absolutely amazing...I have been waiting to hear about this for months, and I am really excited :D...

And men don't quabble about the price yet...No full standalones are cheap once said and done, that is a given...Nick/Andy's work appears to be set up to the point where you simply pop it in, rather than spend 1k+ on the unit, 300 for dyno time, and additional cash on sensors and installation...If it comes out to be 2 grand, it still is a bargain...If it offers way more than what you are looking for you don't need one...But through a good standalone is the only way to make BIG reliable power, NA or FI...and with this system is where some light will be shed on the FS's true ability as an NA engine...

Also for anyone looking to get some more general info on the AEM pnp's, you can check out www.aempower.com ...They have a full list of its features and detailed specs...I am assuming the units Nick and Andy are working on are of the same variety, just tailored for us by them, rather than AEM...

Very nicely said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back