Increased Idle Engine Noise/vibration with Forged Internals?

YP5 Toronto

Contributor
For those of you running with forged internals....did you guys noticed an increase in the overall engine idle noise/volume?

I am experiencing quite a bit more idle vibration and the tone coming out of my exhaust it much louder. At full speed....both at 60km and 100km, passenger's in my back seat complain about the noise....

It doesn't help that I have the AWR motor mounts....

Let me know your thoughts....

did you have the rear awr mount in, prior to the forged internals? Mine made the whole car alot louded when i added the rear mount.

yes...I had both before the engine rebuild. If it were a small difference....I could be second guessing myself....but it is noticably different.

It is totally normal. Welcome to the world of forged internals! :D It's a trade off that I am more then willing to have.

Dave

Just to clarify....I have OEM pistons that Hiboost machined down to 8.5:1 compression and I also have them ceramic coated.

I guess my question was more to : Does the pauter rods increase engine noise / vibration?

^ How does the car feel man??

Motor noise is total normal with forged internals. Trust me I know.......:D

AZSpeed said:
^ How does the car feel man??

Motor noise is total normal with forged internals. Trust me I know.......:D

So you're saying that the rods cause the noise?
Jason, I am assuming that the entire assembly was balanced, correct?

Yep. You will get more vibration and noise...especially if you have forged pistons too (which you don't, so shut up! :p j/k) Just think of the diesel engines, and you will get the picture. BTW..my assymbly wasn't balanced. :( I wish I would have had the time for that now.

I like how there are little secrets about performance parts noone tells anyone about, and they just find out about it by themselves in the end.

Some of those secrets are:

Headers make your car louder, like the same loudness jump from stock exhaust to aftermarket

Intake makes your car louder. Just as much as exhaust sometimes.

Motor mounts makes your car feel like a 69 camaro drag car.

Shifter bushings don't actually go on the shifter, they go on the transmission, at the linkage.

On a turbo vehicle, intake makes your turbo louder.

On a turbo vehicle, with an aftermarket exhaust you will sound diferent than the same car but N/A, because your turbo is in the exhaust and muffles sound.

Straight pipe will add in droning reverberations to your exhaust note, due to the lack of a resonator that takes that out.

Forged rods make your car louder, forged rods and pistons start to make your car sound like a diesel. lol

A combination of all the above gets you more traffic tickets by correlation.

Bigger injectors make YOU idle funny, YOU, not me.

Brian MP5T is a smart turbo guy, you wouldn't know it looking at him. I bet he knows what a surge line is pertaining to turbo performance range, do you?

Last edited:
YP5 Toronto said:
Just to clarify....I have OEM pistons that Hiboost machined down to 8.5:1 compression and I also have them ceramic coated.

I guess my question was more to : Does the pauter rods increase engine noise / vibration?

Hmmmmm...... Yeah I guess the only other question is did you get your rotating assembly balanced before you put the engine back together? If not then I would say that is where you are getting the extra vibrations from. If you did, then I am not sure.

Cause belive it or not after I forged out my engine it the car had less vibrations then stock! That was due to the fact that I did balance my rotating assembly. It felt so wierd, my engine was louder (clacking from the pistons) but yet it was smoother (at idle as well as driving)! So a word of advice to anyone building there motor, spend the extra money on balancing. Sorry Linix, you did your motor before mine so you was the guinie pig. :(

Dave

Last edited:
When you get forged pistons they will tend to be louder when they are not warmed up yet..Forged pistons fluctuate in size according to the temp. of the engine..So brands more some less..I believe JE fluctuate the least out of any but could be wrong..I think it has to do with nikel content in the metal but could be wrong..Does anyone that know what they are talking about care to elaborate on this?

its not really the rods making all the noise its the piston because the skirt to wall clearance is larger untill the piston warms up i guess you could say. and expands filling the gap thus after warm up it goes away.should have listend to me about getting your skirts coated we had this problem with gm cars all the time and the repair, to replace the old pistons with new coated pistons it basicly fills the gap a little and acts as a sound deadener or absorber..so yes this is totaly normal and you should have balanced your rotating mass to reduce vibrations. the fordged units are a little lighter than stock. that pretty much sums it up...i am sending my pistons to swain tech to have the thermal bariar coating and skirt coating anyone else interested let me know pm me or something...

Equinox said:
I like how there are little secrets about performance parts noone tells anyone about, and they just find out about it by themselves in the end.

Some of those secrets are:

Motor mounts makes your car feel like a 69 camaro drag car.

Not really. I had a backhalved 69 Camaro, 383, tunnel ram, 2 4bbl holleys, 3000rpm stall. Idled much smoother than the pro does with the AWR mounts. So did the 72 Chevelle with solid motor mounts. They sounded better, were much faster. Gas milage isn't much different though. :p

svxin said:
i am sending my pistons to swain tech to have the thermal bariar coating and skirt coating anyone else interested let me know pm me or something...

Thermal coating the top is not always I good idea.

Thanks again

Later........Nick

MPNick said:
Thermal coating the top is not always I good idea.

Thanks again

Later........Nick

Nick...come on.... thats not a very informative post.... :)

Seriously...why is it not always a good idea?

Back